Sunday, May 6, 2018

BOMBARDMENT

I had two choices for this blog today:

1. Bombard you with problems and complaints that you don't want to hear
or
2. Bombard you with photos that you don't want to see.

I'm opting with the photos, mainly because it's the easiest thing for me to do. 

I've been living here in the Tennessee wilderness for three and a half years now, and one major issue still hasn't been resolved:
This shack is much smaller than my previous home and I have absolutely nowhere to put anything. The closets are jammed, the garage is full, and most of my art collection, knick-knacks, and framed photographs are still packed.

Perhaps it's a good thing that the movers lost (or stole) a large amount of my possessions (I'm still losing sleep over that debacle....).

Anyway,
I was going through some of my stuff last night - - lamenting over the things that were lost, and agonizing over the things that I no longer have room for. 

These photos don't have much to do with my laments or agony, but I'll post them anyway.



This bedroom lamp belonged to my maternal grandmother. She gave it to my Mom loooong ago, when I was about four years old (we still lived in New Jersey at that time). Soon after my mother got the lamp, I accidentally knocked it over and broke the top globe (the original one was round).
It wasn't until years later, when we were living in California, that Mom finally found a replacement for it. It is a different shape than the original, but was still a good match.

Incidentally, that ancient lamp still works (I tried it last night). 
How ironic that nowadays you can buy a lamp at Walmart and it will stop working in six months.

 I found my very first pair of shoes!! I won't reveal how old these yellow baby booties are, it would be too painful.
I now wear  size 10 1/2 cowboy boots.

 This pair of (heavy) antique statues was made in the 1880's - The Prince and the Pauper, inspired by Mark Twain's novel.
I am astounded that the movers didn't "lose" them or break them en route. I now keep them on a high shelf away from the cats.



I originally had four boxes filled with framed antique photos and also photos of famous people that I had met. I still have three of them, but one box was lost when I moved.

These are two boxes that I was looking through last night.



I love the hand-painted box on the right.

I had over 200 antique photos (originals, not prints) in my collection.
I sold some of them (including two of the Hindenburg). Others were lost when I moved. Here a few samples of favorites that I still have:


A 1910 photo of the Lusitania in New York.


A rare carta de viste of Napoleon Bonaparte

 The Grand Duchess Olga Nikolanevna Romanov (daughter of Tsar Nicholas II). She was executed in 1918 at the age of 22.

I have several photos of England's Queen Alexandra (1844-1925) in my collection. In this photo she appears to be wearing a mourning outfit - perhaps after the death of her son Prince Albert Victor (his photo is on the left). Albert died when he was 28. He was Queen Victoria's grandson.

Alexandra was married to Queen Victoria's eldest son Edward. She became queen when Victoria died.

One of my real treasures - - King Ludwig II of Bavaria (the supposed "mad" king). I have three original photos of Ludwig, but this is the only one that's framed (it's also the most faded of the three).

Another photo of the Russian Grand Duchess Olga, with her sister Tatiana (right) and their father Tsar Nicholas II on horseback (left).


This is probably getting tedious, but - what the heck - it's better than hearing my complaints. I think.

 The French composer Jules Massenet (1843-1912). I got this from an estate sale. It's from one of his personal photo albums.


Hungarian composer Franz Liszt at the piano.

An original White House portrait of Jacqueline Kennedy and her two kids.

I'll be merciful and end here - but I'm not nearly finished. There are a lot more to go....
A sequel??

13 comments:

  1. Jon, wow, the "Jackie" photo really impressed the hell out of me: Just saw the new movie, and I have much more respect for her than I did in the past. Imagine surviving the wrath of Lee Harvey Oswald? Jackie did. Her husband was not so fortunate.

    You will forever amaze me with your life and stories....

    P.S. Is it than or then? I always get the two confused...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dylan, first of all, your spelling/use of "than" is correct. I always have a terrible time with spelling and grammar. I have to constantly look up everything.

      I didn't know there was a new movie about Jackie/JFK. I'm always fascinated with things like that. The assassination must have been an incredibly traumatic ordeal for Jackie to go through.

      Sometimes my former life amazes me, too - especially now that I'm a hermit living in poverty in the wilderness.
      I'm presently trying to write my Hollywood memoirs...which should be interesting.

      Delete
  2. You remind me of a good friend of mine who collects photos of any and everyone. These item you feature are all treasures for sure. Are any of the people distantly related, or is it just your love of interest in them? That painted box I love...a nice piece and can be used for storage. You seem to be like me. Everything in your home has a story.

    *makes mental not of current shoe size*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love old photos - especially of famous people and/or places. My huge collection has dwindled - because I sold some of them and lost a lot when I moved.
      Unfortunately, I'm not related to anyone in the photos.

      I'm surprised that the movers didn't lose/steal that painted box. It's one of my favorite things (and it looks nicer in real than on the photo).

      Have shoe sizes changed over the years?? I remember a time when I used to wear a 9 1/2. Of course, I was twenty then....

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful collection of photographs you have. i particularly liked the one of Hungarian composer Franz Liszt at the piano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one, too. Judging by his distinguished (??) white hair, that photo was taken later in life. Also, he's sitting at a rather unimpressive upright piano - instead of a concert grand.

      Delete
  4. I would love to see more! I know very little European history other than some of England's so I love to hear who each person was, too. When did you start collecting the old photographs? Did you buy through auctions? How did you come across them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had a passion for old photos - my initial interest began with old family photos of my relatives. I loved looking at them when I was a child. My paternal grandfather was a photographer (unfortunately all of his photographs were among the things lost when I moved).

      My collection was compiled through many channels: antique stores, auctions, estate sales, and ebay. Ebay is a great place to find antique photos - but you have to spend a lot of time looking - - and bidding.

      Delete
  5. Yes, please ... I'd love to see a sequel! Your first slide looks so much like one I had in my (childhood) bedroom! I'd totally forgotten about it until I saw yours. The baby shoes are so sweet; aren't you glad your parents (like mine) didn't bow to tradition and have them bronzed? For some reason, they always gave me the creeps.

    Considering my passion/obsession(?) for old ships, my favorite is that image of the Lucitania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never need much encouragement to do a sequel (*smile*). I initially thought this post would be boring...and that perhaps I'd look like I'm bragging. But I figured I don't have anyone else to show my collection to except the cats.

      I have always HATED bronzed baby shoes and I'm glad my parents never indulged in the tradition. I agree that bronzed shoes are creepy.

      Perhaps I should have my cowboy boot bronzed??

      Delete
  6. I enjoy looking at photographs. I have never taken many pictures but admire people that do. I was just telling a friend yesterday that if I ever have a memorial service the only pictures they will probably find of me are on my wedding day. Couldn't avoid the photographer then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old photos and really enjoy collecting them - - but I hate being photographed myself. I was never particularly photogenic. And I've become even more camera shy in recent years.
      It's gotten to the point where I look my best in a heavy fog, from a distance of fifty yards....
      (am I too self-critical, or what?)

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed looking at your treasures this morning Jon.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.