Saturday, May 26, 2018

MOUNTAIN MAN


When I lived in Southern California I vowed that I'd never leave. I loved Los Angeles with a fiercely unwholesome passion.

A few years later (still in my 20's) I decided that I wanted to be bi-coastal. I planned to divide my time between Los Angeles and New York.
All I knew for certain is that I wanted to be in a big city..... and near the beach. 

I craved big city life and all it had to offer. I didn't think I could ever exist without fine dining, excellent shopping, the theater, opera, ballet, museums.

By the time I was in my early 30's, my wildly destructive life in L.A. was causing major burnout. I still loved the city intensely, but - during rare moments of paralyzing sobriety - I realized that I wouldn't last much longer if I stayed.

This has the possibility of getting incredibly long, so I'll skip all the details and Fast Forward the story.

When I finally left California I was severely homesick for a decade (at least), but something happened to my lust for big city life: it dwindled considerably and eventually vanished.

I grew to love rural life in the Missouri Ozarks. I liked the simplistic lifestyle and the honesty of the country people.
A drastically pleasant change from the 24/7 chaotic frenzy of L.A.

Even though I generally hated West Texas when I lived there, I discovered that I still found an irresistible attraction to country life.

And here in the Tennessee wilderness - despite many inconveniences - I still feel an immense satisfaction being in a rural area with country people. At this point in my life, I'm very comfortable being a mountain hermit.

 Hillbilly hermit
last autumn

Are these feelings deeply rooted, perhaps hereditary?
My mother loved the mountains more than anything - undoubtedly because of the extended time in her youth that she spent in Red River, New Mexico.

In retrospect, all of my ancestors (on both sides of the family) came from rural/mountainous areas.

My father's family came from a tiny village in eastern Hungary, right near the Romanian border. His ancestors reportedly migrated from the mountainous region near Transylvania.....

...which is why I often joke about having vampire blood in my veins....

My mother's family came from a tiny village in the Bakony Mountains of western Hungary, right near the Austrian border.

Ironically, there is a distinct visual similarity between the Bakony Mountains and rural Tennessee.

This is Borzavar, in the Bakony Mountains where my mother's relatives were from.

This is the area of Tennessee where I'm presently living.

So, what's my point?
No point, really. Except I think that my country/mountain heritage is in my blood.

When I lived in Los Angeles - long before my adventures into rural life - I had a keen interest in bluegrass music - - but most especially in traditional Appalachian music.

I sang and recorded some of this music. Fortunately many of these recordings are lost (although my singing wasn't too shabby).

I recently discovered this recording of Wayfaring Stranger by Jack White. I used to sing this and his "hillbilly" singing style is similar to mine.
This music probably won't enthrall everybody, but I love it.


12 comments:

  1. I loved hearing that song again! I can imagine you pouring your heart into it, yourself.

    In one of my past lives--I lived with a guy for seven years who had his own band and was a country western singer evenings and weekends. Roger had a full-time job as a produce merchandiser in a grocery chain. (I even got onstage, believe it or not, and sang my three songs a few times--Patsy Cline and The Judds.)

    A few years before Roger I went with a guy for a year or so who was a steel guitar/dobro player/bass player in his free time. Larry was a member of one band and filled in with several country/bluegrass bands in town when they needed somebody. Music ran in his veins.

    As a kid growing up I would hear my uncle play steel guitar. Ardell used to drive from Minnesota to Nashville on weekends to listen and play whenever he could. He always had country music on the radio. I heard Hank Williams and all the rest from that era of the 50s.

    So, even though I grew up loving popular/"bubble gum" music and later fell in love with the "underground" 60s psychedelic, anti-war music...bluegrass and country have a special place in my heart. I loved listening to musicians sitting around jamming and singing...and never tired of band practices. One of those facts about my segmented life that many people don't know. Right now--I probably don't remember all the words to Crazy, I Fall To Pieces, and Grandpa anymore, but I can still smile remembering those other lives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Rita - you have a lot of music in your history and in your blood. It's great that you actually got to sing on stage (that's something I never dared to do).
      As for musicians, they can often be difficult (to live with) but they're always fascinating people.

      For some reason I've always love bluegrass. Maybe (just maybe...) it has to do with the gypsy in my blood.

      My father was Hungarian but - strangely enough - he was a HUGE country music fan. He especially loved Hank Williams. I grew up hearing Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, etc.

      My father had a lot of original country music records from the 40's and 50's. One time, in his old age, he had one of his violent tantrums and smashed all those records apart.

      Delete
  2. Again, the parallels. Tho' I grew up in a town the size of an ashtray, I remember my acute longing to reside in a Big City. Obviously, I pushed the issue and came to sorely regret it. Ya, I'm painting Phoenix with a too-wide brush, but man! The transparency ... insincerity ... every man for himself. Wounded warrior, party of one ... fortune to have escaped.

    It seriously does my heart good to hear you're appreciating the honesty of country folk. Love your candor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose big city life is fine when you're young, wild, and crazy (I'm talking about myself) but the older I got, the more I gravitated to rural life. I like the simplicity, peace, and honesty (despite all of the endless inconveniences). There's no way in hell I'd want to be in a big city now.

      Delete
  3. Loved it! Why don’t you record some more Appalachian music? Would be very interested in hearing more. Incidentally what instrument do you play whilst singing it? MaggieB



    instrument do you play whilst singing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I'd want to record my singing nowadays (but, heck, who knows??) but it's a thought.
      I used to play the guitar - although not very well - and I also occasionally accompanied myself on the piano.

      Delete
  4. I love bluegrass, so I really enjoyed listening to that song. Years ago, a bunch of my friends and I would get together and have our own little hootenannies. Mostly folk music, but we played some bluegrass, too.

    I think most geographical areas have something to offer. I love big cities, but I also love beach towns, mountainous areas, and quaint little towns where everybody feels like family. As long as you're happy in your own skin, I think you can be content, no matter where you live. The big city played a big part in your life, but now you're enjoying a new, more bucolic chapter. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved bluegrass (perhaps because my father was a big country music fan??) and I also liked folk music (I forgot to mention that on my post)

      Much like you, I like many different areas (including the desert) but the older I get, the more I prefer rural life. I especially like seeing a change of seasons.

      Delete
  5. I like your Hillbilly Hermit picture. Like the post too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I hardly ever take photos of myself because my camera only has a ten-second timer. I have to set it up and then run like heck to get into the picture. This one turned out pretty good.
      I hope you have a pleasant Memorial Day Weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love the hillbilly style of music. I know it's not for everyone. There is a special kind of satisfaction in being in the environment that feels right. Inconveniences happen everywhere after all, they may as well happen where you feel at home. And good to see a photo of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos and reflections, Jon. I've heard many versions of "Wayfairing Stranger" over the years, but not Jack White's until now. He has the tonal range appropriate to the song. So did Bob Dylan in the early '60s, but Dylan's lesser artistic restraint sounded like Jack White caught in a barbed-wire fence. That is how I sounded too. Would love to hear you perform the song!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.