Friday, August 9, 2019

SUMMER READING








I almost never mention the books that I'm reading, even though I'm a voracious reader. I usually read at night, in bed. It's an effective way to forget my (many) problems - and I'd rather read than sleep.

Here are a few of the books I've read this summer. This is mostly a descriptive list - not exactly a review.

None of these books are new publications, but they're all still in print. Also, they are all non-fiction (my current favorite reading preference).

The first four are about survival and overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles. All are truly inspirational.

Adrift, by Steven Callahan

In January, 1982, 29-year-old American sailor Steven Callahan set out in a small sloop (which he built himself) from the Canary Islands, destined for the Caribbean.
Seven days later - in the middle of the night - a raging gale quickly sank his boat. He hardly had time to inflate the life raft and grab a few supplies.

For the next 76 days he drifted 1,800 miles alone in a five-foot leaky rubber raft, battling sharks and gales, and surviving on the few fish that he was able to catch (and eat raw).
A well-written and riveting account of horror and incredible determination.


All But My Life, by Gerda Weissmann Klein

A classic in Holocaust literature. Polish-born Gerda Weissmann's idyllic teenage life was shattered when the Nazis invaded Poland and confiscated her family's home and possessions. Gerda, along with her parents and brother, were sent to live in squalor in the Warsaw ghetto. Her family was eventually killed and she spent the next three years in German labor camps.

In early 1945 - in order to avoid the advance of the allied forces - Gerda was among 4,000 Jewish women  who were forced by the Nazis to walk from Poland to Czechoslovakia. This death march in the midst of winter covered over 350 miles and took three months. Of the 4,000 women, only 120 survived. By the time of their liberation in May, 1945, twenty-year-old Gerda was near starvation and weighed only 65 lbs.
Gerda eventually married one of her liberators, American Kurt Klein. At the time I'm writing this post, she is still alive at age 95. 

A Square of Sky, by Janina David

This beautifully written memoir of Janina David (Dawidowicz) is actually two books - A Square of Sky and A Touch of Earth. She came from a prosperous Jewish family in Poland. By the time she was ten, her family was on the verge of starvation - living in a tiny room in the Warsaw ghetto.
In a desperate effort to save her life, Janina's parents sent her to live with family friends (she never saw her parents again). When things became too dangerous, Janina obtained false identity papers and escaped to a Catholic convent, where she lived under an assumed name and hid her Jewish identity.
Written with optimism and without bias, this story is a testimony to the resilience of the human spirit.  Janina David presently lives in England and is 89 years old.

Tears in the Darkness,
by Michael Norman and Elizabeth M. Norman

I initially didn't think I'd like this book - - the subject of World War II in the Philippines didn't particularly interest me - -  but it was a surprisingly good read - an intensely fascinating and extremely well-researched account. 

It deals with the takeover of the Philippines by the Japanese Imperial Army, and the brutal treatment and extreme suffering of the American and Filipino prisoners of war. 

The story focuses on soldier Ben Steele, a young cowboy and aspiring artist  from Montana, who was innocently caught up in the unspeakable horrors and lived to tell about it. In April, 1942, Steele - along with thousands of other soldiers - was forced to make  the infamous 65 mile death march from Mariveles to San Fernando. The abuse and torture that these prisoners endured during the march, in the prison camps, and on the "hell ships" is meticulously related in terrifying detail.

What makes this book unique is that it gives a humane and unbiased account of both the American and Japanese sides of the situation.

This post is getting longer than I intended, but I'll include a few more books.


The Last Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky


I have always been fascinated with the history of Imperial Russia and studied (and performed) Russian music when I was a music student. 
I've also read an enormous amount of books about Tsar Nicholas II and his wife Alexandra, who - along with their five children - were executed by the Bolsheviks in 1918.

The Last Tsar is unique in that it is written by a native Russian - playwright Edvard Radzinsky - who had access to the (formerly secret) Russian archives and was able to obtain much previously unknown information concerning the Tsar's life and execution. 
It is also presented in a beautiful English translation from the Russian by Marian Schwartz. 

Nijinsky by Richard Buckle

Caution: this book will only appeal to the hardcore balletomane. 
Even though it's a biography of the legendary dancer Vaslav Nijinsky, it also heavily concentrates on the history of Serge Diaghilev's famous Ballets Russes - which includes every aspect of all the ballets in the repertoire, and interesting information about the principle dancers including Tamara Karsavina, Mikhail Fokine, Leonide Massine, and Nijinsky's sister Bronislava.
Meticulously researched.


Mary Todd Lincoln: Her Life and Letters
by Justin G. Turner and Linda Levitt Turner

I've read this book before but I'm presently reading it again - and absorbing more than I did the first time.
The wife of President Abraham Lincoln happened to be born on my birthday - December 13th.
Do we share anything in common?
Fiercely opinionated, unpredictable, enigmatic, often misunderstood, intelligent........fascinating......


This is definitely the most comprehensive and painstakingly researched biography of Mary Lincoln available, which is reinforced with the power of her own words in her letters (all of her known letters are included in this volume). 

In essence, she was a tragic figure. Her mother died when she was seven. Her father quickly remarried and produced nine more children, which overshadowed Mary's existence. Her later life was shattered by the deaths of two of her beloved sons, Eddy and Willie. Her life was destroyed by the assassination of her husband, which happened at the beginning of his second term of presidency in 1865.

The death of a third son Thomas (known as Tad) in 1871 sent her over the edge and greatly increased her erratic and often bizarre behavior. In 1875, her eldest (and only surviving) son Robert had her committed to an insane asylum in Illinois. She was released the following year. Her final years were spent wandering through Europe and battling increasingly bad health. She died at her sister's home in 1882 at the age of 63.


This post was more damn trouble than it's worth. I didn't bother to check for typos, which probably abound.

 

8 comments:

  1. Jon, many of these books you shared here would be books that I would most definitely read because the topics are things that interest me very much. Sadly, I hardly ever read anymore. I can't even remember the last book I read. However, when I was reading books, I prefer non-fiction to fiction. I love books/movies about real people.

    Books about the holocaust and that time period (the 1940's) I find fascinating. When I was still a stage actor, I did a production of "The Diary of Anne Frank" in which I portrayed the character, Mr. Dussel, the man who shared a room with Anne. It was such a chilling play perform every night because it was a true story. Back in late 70's I went to Amsterdam and visited the Anne Frank house. OMG...it was such an emotional experience because all I kept thinking was, "She lived in this attic for over two years!"

    I also love anything to do with Russian history and Tsar Nicholas. Did you ever see the movie, "Nicholas and Alexandra?" Wonderful film!

    Nijinsky also interests me. I saw the film, "Nijinsky" many years ago. WONDERFUL movie!

    Thanks so much for sharing your book list. And even though I don't read much, I enjoy seeing what other people read.

    Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You were in a production of "The Diary of Anne Frank"! That's a fantastic (and extremely emotional) play - - and I loved the old film with Millie Perkins and Shelley Winters. Being able to actually see the Anne Frank house must have been an overwhelming experience.

      I'm glad you enjoyed seeing my list of books. I had a lot more but didn't want to be too boring... I like fiction but - at this point in my life - I'm much more interested in events that really happened.
      The Holocaust has always interested me.

      One of my music/piano teachers (in California)was Geza Wolf (Wolfenstein) who was the former conductor of the Belgrade Opera Orchestra. He and his wife were survivors of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp where, I think, Anne Frank died.

      Anyway, thanks for your comment.
      I think my previous post scared all my readers away....

      Delete
  2. Your lead photo/tableau is wonderful … welcoming, two.
    I'm not a fan of non-fiction, but Adrift and The Last Tsar sound intriguing. Perhaps I'll see if our public library has them on audio. (I know what you said about audio books, but I'll do ANYthing to keep my mind occupied while I practice my 2 miles.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that photo, too. I took it on my coffee table.

      I have no idea if any of these are on audio, but I think "Adrift" would make a good audio book.
      (I don't hate them - - I just dislike them.....*smile*)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I am fascinated by any books by holocaust survivors or people who have survived incredible odds. Don't know much about Russian history, but I know a little about Mary Todd Lincoln and this book sounds all-inclusive. Look like great reads!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that I really like about "All But My Life" and "A Square of Sky" is that they are both actually written by the survivors. I've read numerous books about holocaust survivors and many of them are ghost-written, which really subtracts from the authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jon, for sharing your reading list in this post. I also enjoy reading at night, but recent reads have been mainly historical fiction. I was not familiar with the authors or books you listed, but will refer back to this post for your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I like reading so much that I can get interested in almost anything. Lately, for some reason, I seem to be stuck on non-fiction. Historical fiction is always interesting.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.