Sunday, June 7, 2020

A GRETA GARBO SOUVENIR




Most of the videos I make are mediocre. I'll be the first to admit that much of the time I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

My most recent video, however, is definitely my best and took quite a lot of effort to create. I had to sort through hundreds of photos and attempt to put the chosen ones in some kind of logical order. 
I had to find (and edit) old movie clips - - and slowed down the speed on some of them to simulate a sort of dream-like quality.

The video is rather long - over five minutes - but I didn't want to cut the background music. 

This is not a biography of Greta Garbo (1905 - 1990) but rather a modest celebration of her incredible allure.

Long ago
almost too long to admit
I remember watching some of her silent films at a private screening in Hollywood. I was instantly addicted.

Garbo possessed the uncanny ability to enchant and intoxicate without saying a word. 
Her eyes, her expressions, gestures, and subtle nuances said it all.  
She could effortlessly make you fall passionately in love. 

In my enthusiastic bias, I'll go so far as to say she was the most expressive actress in Hollywood film history.

The music that I chose for this video is by composer Carl Davis - from the score that he wrote for the Garbo film Flesh and the Devil (1926).
 
The video is best viewed full-screen. You can watch it here or at my YouTube channel JayveeSonata. 


Note:
I noticed that when I uploaded this to YouTube the audio came out much softer than it is in my original video.
Sorry about that.

8 comments:

  1. That didn't seem like five minutes? But the ending is stunning. I don't think I've ever watched one of her films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classically beautiful features and perfect bone structure--one of those faces that gets more attractive with age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, she really knew how to use those eyes and her allure was riveting. Thanks for this, Jon, you made a good job cheering me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jon, for this video on an actress whose films I confess to not having Seen many if despite my love if classic movies. Now, I will search some out online. Ms Garbo certainly was a striking woman in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Tho' unfamiliar with her films, of course I was aware of her legendary allure. Imagine my parents astonishment when back in the 1970's they happened to spot her in downtown Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing tribute to an absolutely stunning actress and woman. Loved her in Flesh and the Devil but my favorite Garbo film will always be Grand Hotel, which she made with the equally stunning - although older - John Barrymore. Loved the music and selection of photos. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a beautiful montage jon!!!! She was one of my top 5 favorite actress. Ms. Garbo would love this.

    “I don’t want to be a silly temptress. I cannot see any sense in getting dressed up and doing nothing but tempting men in pictures.” – Greta Garbo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon, beautiful montage of a beautiful woman. Garbo is one one of two Swedish-American personal favorites. The other is Ingrid Bergman, who's face exuded kindness, compassion.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.