Thursday, June 11, 2020

SUNSETS AND FRAGMENTS OF RAW REALITY





I've been in a very deep depression for an extremely long time. My increasing health issues and the infinite complexities and inconveniences of rural living presently have me teetering between a nervous breakdown and intentional death.

No need to worry - - I've survived far worse things than this. I'm just not in the mood to be cute, funny, congenial, or social. When I'm depressed I retreat into my own private cocoon - which is the most comfortable place to be.
Some might find that difficult to understand.

Blogging is a useless, worthless, thankless diversion that appeals to armchair exhibitionists.
People love you when they agree with you
abandon you when they disagree 
and forget your name five minutes after you die.

I used to blog to please others - which is a very serious mistake. Now I blog to convince myself that I'm still alive......among other selfish purposes.
You're merely a curious interloper in my private domain.

I'm not always pleasant or congenial or easily understood - - but neither is the raw reality of life. 
I was never ever mainstream. 
I've marched to the beat of a different drummer as long as I can remember.... 

It's probably a mistake to unleash too much of oneself, but my writing always reveals the real me. 
I don't claim to be St. John or Mary Poppins.
 Candy kisses, sugar-coated rainbows, or inspiring quotes from Kahlil Gibran aren't my style.

Let's change the subject.
How about sunsets? They've been beautiful lately:
glorious reminders that the weary day is finally over and blessed eternal rest awaits.
That's morbidly poetic.






How about verdure gone rampant?
The result of three months of rain. 


If this were your yard, would you panic?

I panicked (slightly) on Monday morning when I woke up and there was no water. I had planned on driving to town but was forced to scrap it.
Called the utility company. They were working on the pipes.
It was 90 degrees that day.
I had no water, no milk, no soda, no juice. No liquids of any kind.
Breathed a Big Sigh of relief when the water was turned back on at 7:00 in the evening.

So I drove to town on Tuesday. They put in new gas pumps at the place where I get gas (petrol, for those of you in Liverpool).
It took over five LOOOONG minutes for me to figure out how to use them.
Am I really that inept??

After four looong months, Walmart is still in Plague Mode. It's a futile exercise in complete insanity.

I parked by the garden shop, convinced that it was finally open. The gate was wide open. I was met by an ancient ghoulish employee wearing a mask, who informed me I had to use the front entrance.

So I walked ten miles to the front (very slight exaggeration). Almost passed out from the heat and my ravaged back.
Ever since the onslaught of the Plague, Walmart has been an extremely dismal and depressing place to shop.
Or even more dismal than it always is.....

Masked, surrealistic cretins wandering like somnambulists around the store....

I have a strong feeling that Walmart - like most of America - will remain in Plague Mode the rest of our lives.
Don't doubt me.
It's the new highly appealing norm.

I always breathe an incredible sigh of relief when I get home.....
but....

How would you like to drag dozens of grocery bags from the car, up a hill, and through this mess??
(I always use the back door, where the kitchen is)


There's a "path" here, somewhere (that's the garage on the left).

I get mercilessly attacked by wasps and bees along the way.....and ALL of the bushes have thorns - which rip the plastic grocery bags and shred my clothes.

It takes an hour to drag in all the groceries. I always bring in the perishable stuff first.....and say "to hell with the rest".

I've given up long ago. I don't give a rat's royal ass about anything anymore.

I got a migraine after I came home on Tuesday.

By the way -
late last night there were gunshots alarmingly near my house. Scared the jeeters out of me but the shots didn't last long.

At least the cats are content. They (finally) have food and water.


Scratch




Bosco  




I have plans for future blog posts - -
you'll like some
and you'll undoubtedly hate some.
Hell, that's part of my charm.

BTW-
Glad to know that a few people appreciated Greta Garbo. Thanks!!

12 comments:

  1. Are you sure your in Tennessee? That looks like a jungle in the tropics!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your life is quite similar to mine here in the backwoods of wv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jon, I consider you my online friend and think highly of you. If that makes me " a curious interloper", then I will lope and keep lope-ing. Do we have political differences? Yes, big'uns! Will you "forget(my)name five minutes after(I)die"? I intend to. You should too. I'm just an iteration of carbon after all. Minor stuff aside, your Walmart is only 10 miles from garden dept.to front? Ours actually spans several states and 3 time zones. Hell, our Walmarts might be the same one. If we run into each other give me a hug --germs be damned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine having to haul groceries, drive, walk or do anything with a ravaged back. Is there no treatment for it? Your Bosco looks like my Mari. I never wanted a black cat but adopted her from my daughter. She is a real blessing, except when she's NOT. Blogging to please others is an exercise in futility since all of us have different opinions and ideas. Writing can be very therapeutic though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes.. Shopping in the New Zombie apocalypse. That's right! They are all zombies! Mindlessly wandering around wearing masks and causing mayhem and destruction. Forget the "Murder Hornets" (Whatever those were...) We are now in the Zombie land. I refuse to wear a mask and refuse to shop at Menhards because masks are mandatory there. Guess they don't want my business OR have not read the recent update from the World Health Organization. ( Remember when they were the "experts?") So, we try to limit our shopping to places that are still "free will" with masks and aisle directions and hand sanitizer. Nothing says "TYRANT" better than a teenage Walmart Employee telling you to walk the long way around the building... SO much power bossing adults around...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness the cats have food. My Charlie is a faddy eater and I always have to throw some cat food away. Are your cats as fussy?

    I await future blog posts with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yikes! I can feel snakes, wood ticks and critters grabbing at me if I had to walk through that tall grass, shudder! I feel for you with your back, I have back issues but certainly not anywhere as severe as your's seem to be. You take care. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes Jon on the no water and that heat! I get what you’re saying as this masking thing is making me crazy too. What’s with wearing them in the car or public places, it’s nuts, and I won’t get started on the glove wearing. Your local Wally World sounds like some places here and that’s scary. Your back yard is a jungle and with warmer weather coming you may not be able to find it and then we wouldn’t hear from you, horrors. Looking forward to those future plans of yours. Glad Bosco and Scratch are happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Jon, long time no see? I just want you to know that reading your blog ( and a few other favorite bloggers) is really the only reason I manage to drag myself out of bed each day. And I often think about what I've read many days after the original post: You, Helga (where did she go?), Susan one and Susan two, Geo, Mr. Roy, and more recently - I've become a great fan of Mistress Maddie: Such intelligence and wit! I'd be totally lost without your life affirming blogs...

    Yes, the world has gone completely mad, and it's getting harder and harder just to make it through each day. Jon, I feel your pain big time. But your wise and witty words always bring a quick smile to my face - so please don't let the bastards win. You are a good person, and we need more (not less) good people in this strange world. I'll still remember your name many, many years after you are gone. And I am not the only one to feel this way. Hang in there as best you can. *Big Hugs*

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dylan, I've lately been too depressed to respond to comments on my blog, but just wanted you to know that your presence is greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your ongoing concern and support.

      Delete
  10. Morbidly poetic or not, I always enjoy your thoughts, Jon. Ya, blogging is probably a diversion -- but it keeps my mind off what the MSM is trying to shove down our collective throats.
    Depression is real, and I won't try to minimize or coax you out of it. Just know, I care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jon, I'm the same way. Most people just don't get what it's like to live w/clinical depression and anxiety. It's worse than death. This is why it's so magical to find something that makes us want to stay alive - even if only for 24 more hours, etc.

    By the way, I somehow left out Lisa Southard (on Blogger) as another amazing writer I go to when I feel like it's time to leap off a cliff: Her wonderful words always bring me back in touch w/reality. She helps me to see the beauty in life - when I am blinded by all the darkness. She is a much needed bright candle during these dark times. Bless her big time.

    Jon, it is because I am so worried about you that I am doing what I am about to do: mitchelldylan72@gmail.com I am horrible when it comes to email - so no huge pressure on your part or mine. But what the hell do we have to lose? Again, *Big Hugs*

    Dylan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.