Wednesday, July 29, 2020

MIDSUMMER ELEGY




I wake at dawn, or just before -
watching the window from my bed as it slowly lightens until the world outside begins to assume discernible shapes....

....and as the shapes emerge, a mellow mountain fog seeps through the trees  and quickly engulfs all semblance of landscape.

Some mornings the fog is as delicate pink as angel wings, other mornings it has the amber glow of an autumn memory.

Everything outside is drenched with heavy dampness, which drips from the eaves and porch like taunting imitations of forgotten tears.
The birds are awake with a cacophony of song and random calls of morning greetings that carry sharply through the muddled mists.

As dawn advances, I force myself from the  safe and secure confines of my bed and very reluctantly begin to dress - despite enormous aches and maladies and a profound dread of venturing outside.

Before the raw onslaught of day - before the brutal heat and inevitable thunderstorms, I wander out into my vast purgatory of property - stunned by the massive onslaught of high brush and impossible weeds, and perplexed at the daunting impossibility of confronting them.



I'm armed with an ancient pair of nearly-unusable shears and a hacksaw that is heavily coated with half a century of rust. 

My mind is numb and giddy with the complete impossibility of the situation - knowing that I'm no longer physically capable of performing such inconceivable tasks, and cursing my fragmented dreams of carefree country living.

Trudging through knee-high wild grass drenched with morning damp and dew, I reluctantly face acres of  monstrosities of nature that have grown as tall as myself courtesy of the limitless surplus of rain:
weeds, brush, tangles of bushes armed with razor-sharp thorns, mysterious species of verdure that previously only existed in my science fiction dreams.

I'm standing in the helpless midst of this alien nightmarescape at the brink of dawn - with shears, a hacksaw, and two miserable hours of sleep.



As I begin the merciless task of cutting, clipping, chopping, hacking, sawing, I rudely awaken the anonymous forms of life that reside deep within this thankless tangle of countryside:
wasps, flies, spiders, ticks, chiggers, snakes, mice, relentless gnats and mosquitoes. 

Within fifteen unforgivable minutes I'm drenched in dampness and sweat, ripped bloody by thorns, bitten by hoards of insolent insects, with a racing heart, and boots entwined in impulsive grasping vines.

The rising sun is peaking above the forest, causing the fog and mists to retreat.
Amid the constant bird chatter, a nearby mourning dove calls plaintively - like a gentle warning of impending doom.

And I'm suddenly thinking how easy it is to get into impossible situations.......and how difficult it is to get out of them.

I'm entirely alone on the edge of the isolated forest, in the midst of nature's hungry jaws, trying valiantly to conquer the impossible -
and knowing for certain that I will eventually be defeated.  

In the presence of morning fog and evening mists, burning sun and chilling moon, tears of rain and mournful winds, restless shadows of drifting clouds and impatient birds in flight - -

I will succumb to the land and finally find the blessed rest that eluded me for so long. The tangled shelter of obstinate vines and wayward brush will assure the sweet secret of my sleep.

No one will know.
I will not be missed.


Jon V.
2020

12 comments:

  1. Jon, please don't despair. Dear friend of mine recently moved to a 55 and over community down south, far from her husband and grown kids. They all love each other but she needed away from the maintenance and operation of property --responsibilities she doesn't want at age 73. I know you're not near her age but thought I'd mention it. Please, just remember there are always choices, always alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the melancholy verse, your photos are quite lovely, esp.the middle one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and powerful. Fighting against nature and our own bodies is often a losing proposition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ... heartbreaking. Not today, or even tomorrow. But ya, I feel we'll all be defeated eventually. Hopefully, by Mother Nature and not an agent of Satan. Speaking of which, don't you feel safer there in the Tennessee wilderness than say, Portland?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no...your getting dark again. Now chin up! You can't not let yourself get over taken by life and weeds, beside you make all the merciless task of cutting, clipping, chopping, hacking, sawing, almost sound poetic with your writings above!!!!!

    And the pictures you took are great...a vintage feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature is a cruel Mistress! She is not our friend... No matter what the Greenies and Granolas will have you believe. She has one mission in this life, and that is to make our life very, very uncomfortable... OR end as quickly as possible. That is why I embrace Human Technology. Ever hear of a Mower? Chainsaw? Weed Whipper? IF trying to figure out how to unlock Mother Nature's secrets is taking too long, you can always fire up one of those puppies and get the job done in brutal fashion! Also.. Human invented POISON and other toxic chemicals works wonders in controlling the bugs. ( Ugh! The Gnats here are Terrible!) Waiting for Dragon flies to eat all the gnats simply takes too long. The numbers don't actually tip until late mid Fall. I do cheer a little bit when I see a swam of Dragonflies darting and diving through the clouds of gnats and black flies though. Until then, I use any repellent that contains DEET! Good luck out there! Sounds like you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are grossly mistaken, Jon, because you would be missed. And, personally I would wait for cooler weather to tackle that overgrowth, but then you would be waiting a long time. And, yes, lots of repellent would be good too, perhaps bucketfulls?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Jon! Such beautiful writing! But the way it grows darker and darker....
    P.S. Some of us would come looking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you removed the post that came after this one. You really didn't need to provide any explanation, Jon. Most people understand down days, some more so than others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you will be missed, make no mistake about it. we will send somebody to find you if you don't write about your next encounter. tackling all that vegetation is a noble task, indeed. but nature will overtake any progress made, so let it go and grow wild. you can't tame it. i'm the only one in the neighborhood here with tall grass. not acceptable in suburbia. i say, tough. it doesn't need to be cut every other day. the manicured look is definitely overrated. you have a wonderland of wildlife and greenery. embrace it jon. i find it challenging to maintain this house i'm in, because of my chronic pain and various ailments. so i understand your ravaged body struggling to take care of business there. it's not easy, i know. do not overdo. rest. you have nobody to answer to. savor the beauty that surrounds you and let the wilderness be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jon we would certainly miss you. I have not been commenting much lately but I went to your latest post and found a big blank... help.... thought you might have disappeared. So I've searched you out at this older one, which I read at the time. I'll try to comment more. I'm not even writing my own blog right now, but need to get this in hand....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jon, today is Wed, Aug 28, and just for the record you are missed by myself and others. Hoping you will return and not give up entirely.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.