Friday, February 19, 2021

WICKED WINTER WONDERLAND WALK

 


 

 It's the midnight hour, nearly Friday. So far no more power outages, but I haven't yet breathed a sigh of relief. Friday is going to be frigid with dangerously low temperatures at night. I won't be breathing relief sighs until it's spring and I'm being plagued with wasps, gnats, and snakes.

Yesterday I made a pot of homemade soup. I also fixed my errant landline phone (which stopped working during the power outage). My landline phone and computer both run on fiber optics (whatever that is) - the source of which comes from a mysterious black box installed on the wall.

I messed around with the box, attempted to reset it, and - bingo! the phone started working again.

Yesterday (Thursday) I felt extremely bad when I woke up - - felt just like I was going to pass out.
Despite my malady I decided to venture out for a brief afternoon walk in the forest. Didn't go far, stayed near the house. Took some photos. When I finally went back inside I felt a little better. Perhaps the fresh air revived me.

It was bitterly cold, very misty, and started to snow. Slippery. Hazardous. But intriguingly atmospheric. I kept thinking of snowy scenes from operas - - La Boheme, Eugene Onegin....

My signature and foot prints......transitory proof of my existence.


Front yard
(I can no longer center captions on my photos)

Mist-shrouded back yard forest




Incredibly, some autumn leaves still cling to branches.

Tender "boughs" bending from ice.






Back of my abode.

8 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUl. you are surrounded with beauty. kissed by nature with snow. Bet breathing in that fresh air did you a world of good. Loved the way you painted the snow with your name. it is now etched within the memory of this brutal season because you blinked it into permanence with your camera. moments to block out the bad stuff. take care. stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to read that the power has stayed on, Jon, that was great to read as was the revival of the landline phone. Despite the misery you have suffered through in recent days, the snow scapes were lovely and perhaps being outdoors did make you feel better. It’s snowing here today and homemade soup will be on the weekend menu here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If snow wasn't so pretty....Id hate winter. But Im one of the few who likes winter. Notice I didn't say love it.

    And just what do you use to write your name in the snow with Jon????????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love other people's snow pictures. I'm done with it for this year, although it may not be finished with us. Good job fixing your phone! I wouldn't have known where to start. I find fresh air helpful for my state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful Jon. Sylvan glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to see this and realize you're OK! Actually, better than those tender bent boughs. THAT's a great representation of how many of us are feeling about now. Anyway! I truly believe homemade soup has medicinal qualities. And visuals such as these will be wonderfully therapeutic to look at (for me, anyway) come the onslaught of summer in the Southeast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. snowing again here in Iowa...Bu Cheryl says the warmer weather is coming! If you call 34 degrees "warm". after the last two weeks... I will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, your nature photos are beautiful. It never ceases to amaze me how something so potentially deadly as the wintertime weather with its' white snow and drop dead cold temps can look so lovely (from INSIDE the house, mind you).

    There is nothing better than homemade soup - really hits the spot right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.