Tuesday, February 16, 2021

NIGHTMARE

On Valentine's Day I already knew things were going bad, but wasn't prepared for the nightmare yet to come.
I had vowed to take a hiatus from blogging, but decided to make (and post) a Valentine's Day video - just to confirm my existence. Sounds strange, but , living in the wilderness, I have few connections to the outside world.

V Day was frigid and icy and there were at least six power outages in that one day. They were short in duration, but served as a prelude to future trouble.

I was really dreading the coming week because the weather prediction was dismal: ice, snow, freezing temperatures. I'm always apprehensive about winter weather. I live in the coldest, most drafty house imaginable. Even with the (faulty) furnace on, I shiver constantly. And I am foolishly unprepared for power outages.

The Big Power Outage occurred on Sunday (V Day) night, just after sunset. The nights are excruciatingly long and bitterly cold. I had nothing more than a few candles and a flashlight that hardly works.

I managed to call the power company and report the outage - - just before my landline phone went dead.
I still have my cell phone (thank God) but it's not always reliable.

I knew it was cold, but hadn't realized that it would get down to 10 degrees (Fahrenheit). There are no words to describe what it's like to be alone in the wilderness - with no heat, no hot water, no stove, no lights. And the darkness is indescribable. Incredible silence all night. No owls, no coyotes. At around 3:00 a.m. there were some gunshots. I was actually glad, because it confirmed the existence of another human.

Monday was a freezing nightmare that I hardly remember. When I awoke there was frost (yes, frost!) on my mustache and my breath was coming out in thick white clouds.

It was much too cold to get out of bed but I managed to feed the cats and make another call (cell phone) to report the power outage (you have to leave a message - - no contact with a "live" person).
Since the stove wasn't working (it's electric) I had a quick meal of pretzels and cookies.

Monday night was beyond endurance. It was 7 degrees (seven). I lighted two candles in my room and snuggled with the cats under a pile of covers. Even with cats and covers it was unbearably cold. I felt completely helpless and my mind wandered in evil places where I didn't want it to go.
I knew that if I spent much more time in such a frigid environment I was going to die.

I thought of calling my cousin Nancy but didn't want to bother her (she's helped me more times in the past than I could ever recount).

I tried to stay awake but fell asleep around dawn. On Tuesday it was snowing and the daytime "high" temperature was 12 degrees (twelve, Fahrenheit). I began getting terrifying aura migraines (where I lose part of my vision and see bright flashing lights).
I was feeling very lethargic and my mind was truly slipping away. I swear to God - with no exaggeration - I knew I was freezing to death.
I managed to make one more desperate call to the power company.
Then all I could do was stay in bed and pray.

Just before dusk on Tuesday evening I was thinking about moving my mattress from my bed into an interior room where it might be a little "warmer" (my bedroom is the coldest room in the house).

As if by a miracle, the power suddenly went back on. I managed to get up and put on an extra layer of clothes. I turned on the furnace, a space heater, and the stove oven. I made a cup of tea  and warmed myself by the stove for about ten minutes.
Later I managed to make a light meal with a cup of coffee. I was going to have a can of soda, but all the cans on the shelf were partially frozen!!!

It's presently Tuesday night. I haven't yet gone to bed. I'm terrified that there might be another power outage.
The cats are snuggled on my bed with a nearby space heater. The furnace is still on.

All I can do is hope I can get through the night.

I didn't edit this. Excuse any typos.



I made it through the night. It's 10:00 am Wednesday and the power is still on. Another storm predicted for tonight with more snow and ice.

 

26 comments:

  1. What a terrifying story--from someone who hates to be cold at all. I hope the power stays on, so you can get some rest. I don't know why, but I always imagined Tennessee as a warm state. Are those kind of temperatures normal for winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they aren't. They have accidents everywhere because people can't drive in ice and snow. They are not prepared. One time I went to Nashville with my mother-in-law and two sisters-in-law in late March. It snowed, and people were crazy on the roads! We left a day early. For the first 100 miles the roads were treacherous. The funny thing is this: My father-in-law had been telling me for weeks that we shouldn't go to Nashville that time of year because if we did, we'd have bad weather. He was always a pessimist, seeing the worst in any situation. I kept telling him Nashville doesn't get much snow. Well... I should have kept my mouth shut. Sorry Jon, for answering your question; but I'm sure you have your own answer to give her. :D

      Delete
    2. I always thought TN was a mild southern state, but it fooled me Big Time. I was surprised at how cold it gets here. Some winters are fairly mild with no snow. This winter seems to be very harsh everywhere.

      Delete
    3. And the drivers are reckless in winter weather. In California they used to go crazy when it rained!

      Delete
  2. Praying now! Not an hour ago I learned of the death of a dear friend's husband (Covid), and a few minutes ago where another blogger friend survived a pit bull attack this morning. So ya, being selfish, I can't bear the thought of been losing you, too.

    Pick up the *@** phone and call Nancy. (Please)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What heartbreaking news! Tragedies happen so quickly and unexpectedly. I never realized how easy it is to perish from the elements ...I was really genuinely frightened. And I'm dreading another power outage.

      Delete
  3. What a horrifying experience! I may have grown up in Reading, PA, but I actually lived in a VERY rural part of the outskirts of it. Anyway, I can not tell you how many times we lost power for hours at a time. NOT FUN - especially when EVERTYHING in your home is powered by electric only!

    Even where we live now, I can remember losing power for three days in the middle of summer heat when the temps were 107 degrees. I think the only time we lost power in the wintertime where I currently live was perhaps a day - long enough!

    I hope THAT is the worst of this winter from HELL for you and the fur babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has definitely been a winter from hell. I hate intense cold...and intense heat. Either one can be surprisingly deadly. I was genuinely scared this time around and I'm dreading the next power outage. Spring can't come soon enough.

      Delete
  4. You poor thing. I hear it's much the same all down to Texas also. A cousin outside Houston has been without power since Monday. To late now, but you should check out getting a little propane tank heater and stove. You can buy a pack of 6 tanks, there small ones. I have them for emergencies. They came in real handy one year when a hurricane hit and I didn't have power for five days. There is also the old clay pots trick with the candles. You tube it. I think it only warms very little though. The propane thing makes me nervous...but it really came in handy that time. The tanks just screw on to a propane heater and stove. And the stove is just like one burner, but I could at least make soup and have instant coffee or cocoa, and the heater kept my whole bedroom warm. I should take pictures of them and email you them so you can see what they look like. I know how unnerving it is to be that cold. It's awful. It's also why I have tons and tons of candles on hand at any given time.

    But glad to read the power is back on. I have at times also cranked my heat way up in fear during storms, Id lose power. And often did. And luckily when the power did go out, it stayed warm at least for a day till it started dissipating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A propane heater and/or stove is a good idea. Walmart has very few left. I was also thinking about a small wood stove, but (much like a fireplace) they are trouble to maintain. Propane would be easier.

      Delete
  5. That was a miserable and dangerous time for you. That kind of cold could have killed you. I'm glad they got your power back on and you are safe.

    I would have been up s**t creek, because I can't burn candles in the house. They make me wheeze and I can't relax when they are burning because I worry about them being a fire hazard. That goes back about 15 years to when a neighbor forgot a burning candle and their house burned along with their sweet kitty. I have a bunch of those battery powered candles.

    I have wanted to get one of those butane powered generators to keep some power on in our house during outages, but they are pretty expensive and something else always comes up to spend money on instead of that.

    I am looking forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always very cautious when it comes to burning candles (or even a fireplace). It's far too easy for such things to cause disasters. I never realized how dependent we are on electricity. I wouldn't have lasted two minutes as a pioneer....

      Delete
  6. https://www.budget101.com/prepared-living/4411-diy-flower-pot-heater/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a similar video about this on YouTube. It's definitely worth a try in emergencies. I have to buy tealight candles...

      Delete
  7. Call Nancy if it gets worse. no bs jon. do it. woke up here to 3 degrees. 10 inches of snow. A few years back we had an ice storm. no power for a week and a half. it was brutal, so i know where you are at right now. bundle up. keep that phone charged. i'm saying prayers your power stays on. take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're supposed to get up to six inches of snow tonight (Wednesday). The next few days will be brutal. I charged my cell phone up today. All we can do is pray for an early spring..

      Delete
    2. yesterday, I sent a wolf in to take care of the groundhog who insisted on 6 more weeks of winter. maybe that will help with the situation? LOL Or maybe not? keep warm . make a cup of hot tea to calm the senses. hang in there.

      Delete
    3. We certainly don't need any trouble-making groundhogs. Six more weeks of winter would be excruciating. I'll definitely enjoy some hot tea. Take care.

      Delete
  8. Oh my stars Jon, that really was a nightmare. I agree with Maddie, you need a back up emergency heat source. I am wondering how far Nancy lives from you? You are so entertaining, I am sure she would have been delighted to have you and your sweet cats come and get warm. I wish I lived closer, I would be happy to rescue you and you could tell me funny WalMart stories!
    ♥️♥️♥️Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy and I have the same town as our mailing address - but she lives right on the edge of town and I'm at least twenty miles away.

      I'd appreciate being rescued by you - - I have a surplus of Walmart stories....

      Delete
  9. Dear Jon, as a former Californian you doubtless know our Legislature limited snowfall to elevations above 2000 feet. Couldn't Tennessee pass some similar laws, higher up maybe? When my Chicago kid writes they have lost their lovely lawns, I think: How careless of them. Uh, maybe I've ventured into insupportable weatheropolitical theory. Just stay bundled up and carry a cat. That's what I do and I'm a serious man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Tennessee elevation of 4000 feet might do the trick. I miss those Southern Calif. winters when I thought 50 degrees was cold...(but I remember one rare time in L.A. when it got down to 32).
      My cats and I are bundled, praying that no more power outages will assault us....and looking towards spring...

      Delete
  10. Ugh, We went 24 hours with no power in Grand Haven, Michigan.. once. Everything was electric, including the furnace! I can't remember the temps, but it was cold. I see "Ron" had the same idea I was going to pass on. I have yet to try it out myself, but have seen several videos on how those tea lights can keep a small room warm-ish. It is funny how you get acclimated to the cold when you live in Alaska and Minnesota.. But I have not been to those places in years. I now freeze at any temps below 20 degrees... Keep those cats close! You can always eat one if they stop producing heat. (Jack London Style.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest fear is that I'll freeze to death and the cats will eat me. If tea lights and flower pots can warm a small room I'm ready to try it. It's a better alternative than keeping warm by clog dancing.....

      Delete
  11. There’s little new advice I can offer Jon, after reading this latest ordeal and the comments from your concerned blogger friends, like myself. So,here is a new suggestion to get yourself one or more of the portable battery chargers you can use to power your cell phone IF it is one that could use those. That way when the next outage occurs, which it seems highly likely, you can reach out to the electric company or your cousin Nancy or anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of a portable charger for the cell phone, but it's a good idea. I'm sure my phone would be compatible, and they probably have them at Walmart. There's nothing worse in the dead of winter than a power outage....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.