Sunday, June 5, 2022

HARROWING RIDE




After I wrote Wild Ride (see previous post) I suddenly remembered that there had been a much earlier time when I had trouble with a horse. It's not nearly as exciting a tale as when I rode Pal in New Jersey, but it's worthy of mention.  And I have some supplemental photos, just for those skeptics who think I make this stuff up.

I was six years old and my parents were spending a few summer days in Red River, New Mexico - during our move from New Jersey to California. 

 Here comes the boring but necessary background information:

Red River is located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains at an elevation of nearly 9,000 feet. My mother had relatives who owned a resort there. Mom used to spend all her summers working at the resort before she was married.

Long ago Red River was a very quaint and obscure place, which was only open to tourists during the summer. Wealthy people would come there, mostly to hunt and fish. Nowadays, it has been turned into a big gaudy commercialized ski resort and all of its rustic charm has completely vanished.

When I was six, the place was still isolated and the roads were treacherous. We had to be transported there by jeep. 

 The old switchbacks near Red River, which are no longer in existence.

We stayed in some cabins owned by my mom's relatives. Every morning, just after dawn, a large herd of horses would run right past my window. I always jumped up and watched them, mesmerized. Sleek, beautiful animals, with thundering hooves that shook the earth and kicked up enormous clouds of dust.



 Patty Kane (left) and me standing by one of the cabins

I wasn't the only kid at the Red River ranch that summer. There was also a girl named Patty Kane who was about three years older than myself. Her mother was a friend of the family and lived in Los Angeles. I especially liked Patty because she looked exactly like my cousin Nancy's sister - who, ironically, was also named Patty.

One day someone suggested (I don't remember who) that Patty and I should  go horseback riding. A big, old clodhopper of a horse was extracted from the stable. He was undoubtedly chosen because of his mellow and amicable disposition.

Patty, who had ridden before, took the reigns and I was perched behind her. Several other riders were ahead of us on the trail.

 Patty and I on the horse, just before we got on the trail (Polaroid photo taken by my father)

Everything seemed to be going fine until the clodhopper Patty and I were riding decided to get feisty. He neighed, kicked up dust, and started going in circles.

Then, completely without warning, he left the trail and took off down the side of the mountain! This was no hill, it was a dangerously steep slope, and the horse was bounding out of control. The faster we went the more I panicked.

Never one for chivalry, I leaped off the horse and left Patty to fend for herself. The horse screeched to a halt at the edge of a precarious cliff.

All I remember after my leap is that some men eventually came down the mountainside with ropes to rescue us (and the horse). I wasn't traumatized. I didn't cry. But I don't recall having the urge to ride again any time soon.

And I didn't get on a horse again until ten years later, when I had the unforgettable wild ride on Pal when I was sixteen.  I suppose the Red River incident was a sort of precursor.  

There's a sad footnote to this story. Shortly after that summer in Red River, Patty Kane's mother was brutally murdered in Los Angeles. Her mother owned a business on Figueroa (a dangerous area of L.A. even back then) and she happened to be there doing work after hours. Somebody broke in through a back window to rob the place and shot her. The killer was never found.

That tragic incident always haunted me. I wonder where Patty is today, and if she remembers that long-ago horse incident in Red River.

  

14 comments:

  1. This is Louise, it shows anonymous...
    Although I read ALL your posts I seldom comment, I just want you to know I enjoy them all. I appreciate you taking time to share your life with us. Take care of yourself Jon, life is short and these moments are fleeting. Have a great Sunday and everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise - your comment is encouraging and greatly appreciated. There are times when I feel that nobody is interested in my blog - - - but I also understand that a lot of people simply don't comment. Truthfully, there are many times. when I don't comment on other blogs, because I simply don't know what to say..
      The older I get, the more I savor these fleeting moments.....

      Delete
  2. I'd pretty much forgotten the unspoiled beauty that once was Red River. Like my home town 100 mi. south, I'm not interested in seeing what it looks like today.
    I so dislike loose ends; how could Patty not remember you and that near tragedy?! With so much personally-identifiable information being public (for the digging), I wonder if you've tried to locate her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, it really infuriates me to see how "modern progress" has destroyed so many once-beautiful places. I'm glad that I got to see a glimpse of Red River when it was still quaint.

      Unfortunately I only saw Patty Kane for about a week and we were never in contact again. Her family were friends of my mother's relatives who owned the R.R. ranch. Patty probably got married and I wouldn't know her married surname or her whereabouts.
      I would be interested in searching old Los Angeles newspapers to find out more about the murder.

      Delete
  3. WOW!! Quite honestly speaking, THAT would probably have been enough to dissuade me from ever mounting a horse again - lol. Admittedly, I have only ever ridden on a horse once and it was at a place called "Hobby Horse" - the horses were very well trained and knew what they were doing. Thank God because I sure didn't! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hobby Horse" sounds like the only place I'd want to go riding nowadays (*smile*).
      I was admittedly scared as hell when the horse was bounding down the mountainside - but, strangely enough, the incident didn't have any negative ramifications for me. I suppose I was too young to realize the deadly dangers.

      Delete
    2. I grew up on a farm but never rode a horse. I remember Duke our last work horse before tractors took over. I enjoyed this horse story Jon. Thank you

      Delete
    3. Tractors undoubtedly made the work easier, but I'm sure that it was sad to see the end of the work horse era. I'm glad you enjoyed this post, Rachel. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. You really have had some horse adventures!
    Creepy and sad that her mother was murdered.
    Have a good week, Jon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the misadventures I've had with horses, I still like them - but I doubt if I'd ever ride again. Thanks for stopping by, Rita!

      Delete
  5. Not sure I would ever ride a horse, Jon, especially the older I get, except maybe on a carousel if I did not get motion sickness 😟. To answer your question on my current blog post, yes, that was a live snake! Yikes, I feel the same as yourself there was a charge to have a photo taken with it and their dad paid for it. Our grandson is not fond of many things, so it was amazing that he agreed to pose with it. It's definitely not something I would do...ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point in my life, I'd probably have an anxiety attack even if I was on a carousel.
      I suspected that was a real snake in the photos, but wasn't quite sure. They are brave kids! I've had three snakes in my house since I lived in TN and managed to capture them - - but I'd never want one draped around my shoulders...

      Delete
  6. I now find myself better off without riding horses. Call me old or chicken. I have never had a bad experience like you have, but I think I will hang with my Subie for the time being. Bu if the price of Gas climbs much higher, I may have to consider another means of transportation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this current extraordinary inflation surge, I might be forced to abandon my car and get a horse. But I probably couldn't afford to feed the horse.....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.