Monday, June 20, 2022

IN THE MIDST OF JUNE



In the midst of June, at the threshold of summer, in the torrid grasp of unrelenting heat, in the lush impossibly green tangle of overgrown trees and shrubs, in the intolerable assault of raging insolent insects, in the balmy embrace of endless days, in the lulling caress of wakeful nights.

Humid, fog-shrouded dawns.
Sunsets bathed in crimson blood.
Lightning bugs silently swimming in a thick twilight haze.
Soothing memories of long-ago summers sifting through my restless mind during the dreamy, drowsing hours.

The massive embrace of impending summer serves to temporarily obscure the insurmountable problems that are presently plaguing my existence and ravaging my soul.

I can't write about them here. I wouldn't dare. 
They will brazenly manifest themselves over the depthless slumber of my grave.

Is this too dramatic, too poetic, too incomprehensible?

Blame it on the homemade wine that sustains me and creates a barrage of words and phrases that I otherwise would never have the capability to write.

Every morning while I'm in bed, watching the mystic waves of fog drifting outside my open window, I hear the plaintive soothing call of a distant mourning dove.
It is a comforting reassurance that my utter dissolution, disenchantment, desolation doesn't exist alone.

Ignore my lamentations. You would never choose to understand them. I'm an enigma unto myself.

                         Jon


My front yard this morning - - wild, untamed, a tangle of complete hopelessness.


My front porch this morning, engulfed in a nightmare of unrelenting greenery.


In the back of the house, where forest trees were toppled from raging storms. A massive void is there, but the remaining trees are full and lush.


Unflattering view of the monstrous back "yard"


Bosco, taxing my nerves as he explores places that he shouldn't be.


Bosco, lonely without his two feline companions Kitzee and Scruffy (I miss them, too)


In the unkempt living room


14 comments:

  1. What beautiful picture my dear!!!!

    I was sitting out just the other night, and I had never seen so many lighting bugs in numbers, and this early. I felt happy, as the last couple years I feel I hadn't seen as many lighting bugs due to pesticides and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the lightning bugs - they're so relaxing and magical to watch. There aren't too many of them this year. They thrive on hot nights, but lately we've had a few nights in the 50s.

      Delete
  2. The pictures look beautiful around your home. Bosco looks so much like Annie. I hope things go better for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bosco really does look like Annie. I think they could be twins!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Rita, your pictures are so pretty - trees, brush and everything else aside, Bosco sure is a black beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, living in the wilderness can be an exasperating complication - but I'd rather be surrounded by trees and cows than annoying neighbors.

      Delete
  4. BTW, I really love your new cover pic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened to find that picture in my files while I was looking for something else.

      Delete
  5. More wine! I agree with what the others have said about these pictures -- especially the new cover. Wow! So, do you spend much time on that pretty porch swing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the aide of enough wine, perhaps I'll finish my memoirs. I enjoy sitting on the porch swing, but I'm often plagued by annoying wasps, bees, and other flying monsters. Surprisingly enough, there aren't too many mosquitos here.

      Delete
  6. The back porch does not look too bad. Though I know if it is hot and buggy out, there is no refuge...even on the shade of the porch. Look on the bright side, this is the longest day, everything is going to be shorter starting tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually cools off somewhat in the evening, but inside the house it's hotter than a pizza oven. I'm looking forward to shorter days - - but (unfortunately) they eventually drag us into winter....

      Delete
  7. It's too bad that you aren't able to spend time outdoors on the front porch, but I cen understand the annoyances of insects and heat.

    The new header is very appropriate to your blog title, Jon. I know that many people change headers depending on the season or holiday but my own has become sort of a masthead. But, if truth be told, I fear that any change will result in disaster so leaving things "as is" seems much safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accidentally found that header picture in my image files while I was looking for something else. I like to change pictures and themes to coincide with the seasons, but - as you indicated - it doesn't always work out. Many times I unintentionally create disasters.
      I like sitting outside on the porch swing, but the summer insects can be extremely annoying - especially the wasps.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.