Monday, July 4, 2022

FOURTH OF JULY



 I had planned on having a decent meal for Independence Day ("decent" by my frugal standards) - - hamburgers or pork chops, homemade potato salad, corn on the cob.....perhaps ice cream or a watermelon.

My plan fizzled like an errant Chinese firecracker. I don't have any of the aforementioned food. I haven't gone shopping in town for the past two months.

I am so thoroughly and vehemently disgusted with having to drive a zillion miles for a freaking gallon of milk, that I simply refuse to do it. I'm tired of piloting narrow, dangerous mountain roads when I'm in deplorable health and have a car that's falling apart.
It's gotten to the point that I'd rather die here in the wilderness than venture out.

My only alternative method of obtaining supplies is ordering them from Walmart. The orders usually arrive within two days via FedEx.

The only unfortunate aspect is that Walmart doesn't deliver perishable groceries in my area. I can't get milk, bread, eggs, cheese, or any frozen foods.

I've learned to make due with what's available - - canned meats, fruit, and vegetables. Canned tuna, mackerel, and salmon. Canned or powered milk. Plenty of beans and rice. Soup and crackers. An ample assortment of pasta, pasta sauce....and spaghetti. Canned chili, stew, and ravioli. Soda, apple juice, and grape juice. Pancakes and syrup. Cereal, hot or cold.
Not a bad selection.

Recently I discovered that tortillas are available. I happened to have ground beef in my freezer- - so today my Fourth of July meal will consist of burritos and Spanish rice.

I found a simple Internet recipe for ice cream (ice milk, really) - which consists of milk ( I use evaporated milk), condensed milk, and soda. I used Orange Crush and it's quite good. I'm thinking that root beer would be good, too.




I also make a Spartan "milkshake" drink with a can of frosted soda and some evaporated milk. You can throw in a tiny bit of condensed milk, too, but it might be too sweet for some palates.

So how's my holiday weekend?

Generally miserable. Thunderstorms and torrential rain every day. Seven power outages in two days - - thankfully they were short in duration.

Worst of all is a massive invasion of gnats. Happens every summer but this year is the worst. They are EXTREMELY aggressive - - in my food, in the ice tea, in my face.
As if I didn't have enough problems.....

Perhaps I'll watch a movie today - but it won't be Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney. I watched that last year. The endless song and dance patriotic flick was a crucifixion. Two hours into it and I was ready to join the Communist Party (lighten up - it's an attempt at humor).

Speaking of crucifixions, have you read my previous post The Long Interview? The link is on my sidebar. 

For anyone interested, I'll post Part Two later this week   (maybe.....)

 Have a pleasant Fourth!

                                          Cheers, Jon

                  

10 comments:

  1. Awesome graphic! ... and what a great idea to make your own ice milk. I never tasted 'real' ice cream unless it was served while on vacation. Aside from mowing between raindrops, we've no plans. Honestly, it sounds exhausting to try and pretend all's sunshine, lollipops and roses in the USA when, in fact, our country's falling apart at the seams.

    Hey, I've got those same containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that graphic on the Internet and thought it was really neat. The deplorable condition of our country (thanks to senile snake-eyed Biden) really subtracts from having a patriotic mood. It's difficult to maintain optimism

      I recently ordered those containers from Walmart online.

      Delete
  2. I always love your vintage holiday pictures you find. I don't even feel like celebrating this year ....I so exhausted between the move and working...and taking on a garden...but the food is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't feel like celebrating, either. This year I have far too many personal problems to contend with (they seemingly never end). And I'm tired of the foul, rainy weather. Too damp for fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever (I can't imagine you haven't) given thought to moving out of that jungle of a hell hole? At least that how it sounds. Yikes! You're a brave and strong man, Jon, dealing with all that 'nothingness' on a daily basis. I know you have your reasons for staying. Moving is a bitch under the best of circumstance...and I've never had any of those myself! You're very creative with meals and cooking. I enjoy your piano music posts and wish you were somewhere that others could enjoy it, too. Anyway, happy 4th. I'm not celebrating it. Never did and even less so this year. Keep on trucking.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've moved so many times during my chaotic life that the thought of moving again horrifies me. I admittedly do like the peace and privacy here in the wilderness, but I despise all the inconveniences and complications. I hadn't initially realized that the rural life would be so emotionally (and physically) taxing.
      Many thanks for your input , John - - and I hope you'll visit my humble (?) blog again.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you can at least get food enough for sustenance if you don't want to drive into town. Thank goodness! And I am sure Walmart has cat food and litter, too, for sweet Bosco. Happy 4th!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to obtain supplies online is a huge help - even though some food items are unavailable. And yes - I've ordered cat food and litter for Bosco several times.

      Delete
  6. I am glad to hear that you can at least order some of what you need online - it has got to be a big help!

    Also, and I might have to do this as well, have you looked into the floor air conditioners? My mom has one and they work pretty well. I am sure you could find one at Walmart or something and have it delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordering things online has literally saved my life (and sanity?). Walmart does have a big selection of fans and air conditioners and most are delivered within two or three days. Right now, the fans that I have are sufficient - - but with all the daily use, they probably won't last long.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.