Sunday, May 12, 2024

MOTHER'S DAY



 She was my anchor in a sea of chaos.

My mother Marie passed away nearly fifteen years ago. When those whom we dearly love are subtracted from our lives, we never fully recover. The memories are a haunting comfort that intercepts the emptiness.

We often embellish the memory of the dead with effusive comparisons of sainthood. Perhaps my mother was near sainthood - - enduring my father's unrelenting violence and abuse, and patiently tolerating my unbridled wild youthful years.

My mother was brilliant. She had an insatiable quest for learning and (like myself) had an enormous amount of widely varied interests. Among her many talents, she was an extraordinary pianist. As my first piano teacher, she ignited my lifelong passion for music.

Despite the many brutally dark times in my mother's life, she always managed to keep her remarkably appealing physical appearance and an admirable semblance of inner serenity and dignity.

Every Mother's Day I post the same photos - - undoubtedly because I'm an annoying creature of habit - - but also because some of them are among my favorites.


Somewhere in Nevada, near Reno.


My parents, when they were first married, in winter coats. I found this photo recently and had never seen it before. It was very faded and damaged, but I managed to restore it with software.


This has always been my favorite photo of my mom. Taken before she was married. She was living and working in Red River, New Mexico where her relatives owned a vacation resort. She always maintained that those years were the happiest of her life.


Back in New Jersey, before she was married.

I needed help walking when I was a toddler - - and ironically I now need help navigating with a walker.


Some people thought my mom wore wigs but she never did. Her hair was thick....and carefully elaborated by a Mexican hairdresser.


Once, on an unnerving whim, she dyed her hair chestnut brown. That radical change only lasted for about a month



Long ago, one of my cousins was in the Miss Universe Pageant. She gave my mother this official Miss Universe dress because they were the same size.



My mother in Solvang, California. I like this photo because it's typical of how she usually looked.


My father took this photo of me and mom. It was raining, but just as he snapped the camera, the sun came out.

Happy Mother's Day, Jon


16 comments:

  1. Lovely tribute to a great mom. I think your endurance and perseverance may come from her influence. Happy Mother's Day, Jon's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liz. I agree that my perseverance came from her. I inherited my mother's good traits - - and some of my father's bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a beautiful woman. It seems both in looks and in spirit. I agree with Boud, you got those traits from her. Happy Mom's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra - - and a wonderful Mother's Day to you.

      Delete
  4. I agree with everyone else. You got your perseverance for survival from your mother. She was a beautiful woman, that's for sure. She always reminds me of Jackie Kennedy in some pictures. Good memories this day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother had a friend named Gertrude Zeth Brooks, who wrote a book about First Ladies of the White House. Ms. Brooks knew Jackie Kennedy and she said that my mother was very much like Jackie. Some day I'll write a blog post about it.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful and touching tribute to your beloved mother, Jon. She must have been a Heaven sent to you I am sure. This, as you know, is my first Mother's Day without my mom since her unexpected passing this past April.

    You are quite correct - we never fully recover from such a loss which in my view the loss of a parent is like no other loss we must endure during the course of our lives. I can tell that your mother loved you VERY much and the pics of the two of you are lovely.

    Happy Mother's Day to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I thought about you today because of the recent passing of your mother. This must have been a painful day to endure.
      The death of our parents is an extremely difficult ordeal to go through - - no matter how old we are. I was extremely upset even when my father died.
      I hope we both had comforting memories this Mother's Day. I'm sure our moms know how much we loved them.

      Delete
  6. I always loved this post....and you look like her too!!!! Always keep your memories of her alive. She's with you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do resemble my mother's side of the family more than my father's. She truly was an extraordinary woman. The memories will never fade.
      Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Your mother was a brave, strong woman who passed those traits on to you. She was quite the fashionista, too.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly greatful for the good traits that I inherited from my mother. She was a remsrkable woman. I inherited some bad traits from my father - - but thankfully I was never violent.

      Delete
  8. A beautiful lady, inside and out! As ever, I appreciate you keeping her memory alive. I don't recall having seen that first photograph, but (to me) it's mesmerizing. It almost seems she's beckoning the viewer. Come here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked that first photo - - it's dramatic and atmospheric. My parents traveled quite often. I only know that it was in Nevada in the Reno area.
      My mother was truly unique, and I'm greatful that she was part of my life.
      Thanks, Myra.

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Jon, for sharing these memories of your mother, who was obviously a loving mother and missed very much by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Dorothy. Thank you.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.