Thursday, September 7, 2017

SEPTEMBER SONG




I made a piano recording of September Song (long ago). Someday I'll post it, just to be annoying.

Jon, you're annoying even without music.

I made the dreaded trip to town today, but the weather was so glorious that I actually enjoyed the excursion. Sunny and only in the 60's (that's Fahrenheit, for those of you in Pakistan).

The scenery along the drive is absolutely spectacular (much better than the crappy woods around my house). I would have loved to take photos....

....but I was too busy grasping the steering wheel, riding the breaks, and praying to the Great Mountain Kahuna that I wouldn't go over a cliff and plunge into the water.

Speaking of water, another hurricane is on the way - headed for Florida. I have some relatives in Florida, including two cousins. They've probably evacuated by now.

I'd never live in Florida. I'm not the "tropical" type.

But, Jon - in Florida you can fish and swim!!

Hey, Kemosahbee - if I wanna get wet I'll take a shower. The closest I've ever come to fishing was getting a Fish Filet sandwich at McDonalds. 

So, when are you gonna open your damn online store, Jon? 

Much like making love or cooking a turkey - good things take their time. I'll have a grand opening this weekend. Maybe I'll even have a Hurricane Sale. 

Until the Grand Opening, boys and girls, I'm going to appease you with a tedious hodgepodge of recent photos.
Nothing spectacular, but - what the hell - it's free. 

 I found this painting in a trunk last night, which I had completely forgotten about. It was packed away for years.
 It's painted on a wooden panel and is from the 1860's. The "boy smoking" theme reminds me of another painting I have:

 This is one of my favorites. It's from Italy and dated 1875.

While I'm at it, here's another extremely old painting of a cat (non-smoking). I wanted to hang this but the backing is coming apart.



The butterflies are still congregating and I snapped a few more pics of them yesterday. This one particular butterfly was easy to photograph. He hardly moved.


And here are two butterflies
(an orange one at the top):


Here are some weeds caught in the first rays of the sun this morning.


...and the sun (above) emerging from the forest in my back yard, just before I left for town (about 10:00 a.m.)

 Here's the front yard this afternoon when I got back. The sun is heading west. My front porch can be vaguely seen on the left.





 

9 comments:

  1. Both of those 'boy smoking' images are endearing! The second one could almost pass for Peter Falk's son!

    My best friend in St. Pete is under mandatory evacuation orders by 9a tomorrow. 'Hope I'm wrong, but Irma's looking like a nasty b****. Please let us know how your cousins fare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the artwork. And the butterflies are beautiful. Glad you made it to town in one piece with minimal trouble. sad about Irma. hope your relatives are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon,
    You do live in a beautiful if isolated part of the country. You have some wonderful painting. And I always love seeing the photos you take around where you live. By the way, while I was watching the Hurricane Irma coverage, I see where Irma is going right through Tennessee! Thankfully you won't get the full force of the winds. Expect a lot of wind. Be safe and keep your cats inside during your coming onslaught. Every hurricane season I worry about The Big One coming up the Delaware coast. We just missed Hurricane Sandy by fifty miles. I have my home fully insured but still, I don't want to go through anything like a devastating hurricane. I feel so bad for those folks who are caught in the path of Irma. Sometimes times we're living in Jon. Oh, before I forget, I saw coverage of zoo keepers removing pink flamingos from a Miami zoo. The animals are often forgotten about . I notice with these hurricanes, both in Houston and now Florida, folks are permitted to bring their pets with them. Be safe Jon.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom was supposed to fly back to Florid for the winter today--so glad they got their tickets exchanged for two weeks from now. (Took my brother 2 1/2 hours on hold--but at least they're not charging anyone for changing flights.) Worse hurricane ever. Scary!

    So glad you had a good day going to town. It has been so gorgeous out! Love the pics! Enjoy your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day I do hope you take some pictures on your day trips to town. I'd love to see the scenery there since I'm under the impression that Tennessee is very green and bursting with color in the fall.

    I love the Italian painting dated 1875 - wow ! Batten down the hatches in case you're hit with high winds. I feel so badly for everyone ( and the animal kingdom ) affected by all of these horrific global disasters taking place this summer. The world's a mess right now. I hope Florida pulls through ... take care, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, temperatures in the 60s... it kinda sounds like fall has arrived, and judging from your pics, the weather looks glorious.

    I am, as always, amazed by your art collection.

    We're supposed to get hurricane-force winds and rain here, but nothing near as bad as what Florida is going to see. Irma is downright scary-looking. I sure hope no one in south FL is foolish enough to stay in place to ride this one out.

    Enjoy that gorgeous weather while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing these pictures, I can see you are really out in the middle of no where. At least your drive was a pleasant one for a change with no rain or blazing hot temps. I have been to Florida once, and that was enough. I for some reason, did not like Florida. Nothing about it. I could never put my finger on why, but something was off. Never went back since. My mother and I have always said here in Pa with a blizzard every couple years.... we have relatively perfect weather. Course, I not saying I'm not ready to go back to Buenos Aires!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your art collection always intrigues me, Jon. And your photos are beautiful. It's a busy time for butterflies here too --Norma's getting closer to to them but they still don't like to pose very long. Thanks for sharing these pleasant things in a worried world. It sure helps me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the paintings. The butterflies are lovely, I can never get close enough to one for a picture. You must have some kind of magic'

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.