Tuesday, January 1, 2019

NEW YEAR'S DAY




I've heard that the southern tradition of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day will bring you good luck.

I hate black-eyed peas, never eat them, and always have rotten luck. Go figure.

Last night was probably the most quiet, boring, and unremarkable New Year's Eve I've ever experienced. And I enjoyed it. 

I've had more than my share of elaborate New Year's Eves and lately I get exhausted just thinking about them. I'm glad they're a thing of the past.

I had a simple midnight dinner last night: salmon, potatoes, asparagus. With sweet potato pie and French Vanilla coffee for dessert.

Long ago I used to make fantastic New Year's Eve dinners. They always included herring, smoked salmon, smoked oysters, deviled eggs, Russian Osetra caviar, potato pancakes with sour cream (and that's only a start).

For dessert I always made three items:
A Black Forest cherry cake with real whipped cream, a chocolate cheese cake, and a simple white cake.

And always served my favorite California champagne: Le Domaine extra dry.

Last night I drank ginger ale. In a pretty glass.

I've fallen far from grace, but the landing hasn't been too painful.

 My frosted glass of ginger ale


 A group of candles
just for the heck of it

Midnight in New York
on my laptop screen 

Take ye a cuppe o kindness
for auld lang syne
 My antique New Year's Eve cup, which is over 120 years old (a little older than myself)

10 comments:

  1. I am loving the antique mug! What a tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I couldn't eat all that at midnight, not then, not now, but a little liquid wouldn't hurt. Happy New Year and thanks for persevering with the cat tales. Again, happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your NYE supper sounds wonderful! (Well, maybe not the sweet potatoes; may I have seconds on the asparagus?) You're only the second person I know who hates black-eyed peas!
    Your lovely glassware and china's inspired me. I've nothing as lovely as your antique cup -- but there's no reason I can't celebrate the ordinary, presented in a vessel which pleases my senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful new year's! Love that you have an actual antique new year's cup. I have never heard of such a thing. So glad that is still with you. Goodbye to 2018...don't let the door hit you...LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Jon. I hope 2019 treats you well. I think I'm finally done with entertaining and working in the kitchen while others drink, eat, and wrinkle up the furniture.

    I actually envy you for being able to have such peace and quiet. Next year I'm running off to Panama. Maybe ...

    Your meal sounds marvelous and I love that antique cup. That's so old, and so beautiful! I've never had black-eyed peas - in fact I've don't even know what that is. Burnt peas or something ... lol.

    Oh, and I love your header picture.



    ReplyDelete
  6. You could definitely see your expertise in the work you write.
    The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are
    not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jon, Happy New Year! My mother was an Oklahoman-woman and always served black-eyed peas Jan.1 for good luck. Norma continues the tradition and I actually like them --secret is lots of salt. Thanks for another great year of bloggy correspondence and welcome to yet another. All my best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon, I'd sell my soul twice for THAT cup! You are such a good person. And you have excellent taste.

    P.S. I ate lots of black eyed peas when I was at the mercy of my family during my youth. They tasted okay at the time? Now not so much. Happy 2019 to you and yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your dinner sounds delicious. i'm with you i hate black-eyed peas. i love just love your precious tea cup. happy new year jon. i hope this year is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.