Thursday, March 15, 2018

RONDO CAPRICCIOSO









One of the problems I've always had as a pianist was an intense fear of performing. I had no doubts about my talent or capability - but I had an intense terror of making a mistake or having memory failure. 

Whenever I gave a public performance, my main goal was to get through it alive and with as few mistakes as possible.

My performance fears were compounded whenever I was being recorded or videotaped. Press a Record button anywhere near me and I instantly freeze.

With an over-sensitive musical ear and a strong penchant for being self-critical, I can always hear flaws when I listen to my recordings. My recorded performances are never (or seldom) relaxed. I always seem to be pressing forward merely to get to the end.

In all honesty, however, I usually manage to do a reasonably good job in dangerous (pianistically speaking) situations. I have never edited or dubbed my recordings, like some musicians do. What you hear is exactly how it was performed. Flaws and all.

What's my point?
No point, really. Perhaps - in some strange, neurotic, roundabout way - I'm praising my recordings and realizing that I wasn't half as bad as I imagined.

I recently found this recording that I made in California when I was twenty. The audio quality isn't the greatest, but I managed to transfer the old tape to an mp3 file.

Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso op. 14 by Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847).
Mendelssohn wrote this piece when he was about 18 years old. 

Fair warning: it's over 7 minutes long.
Have a shot of whiskey before listening.

I posted this on Soundcloud because I wasn't in the mood to make a video for YouTube.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Jon. Thank you. If there were any flaws, I didn't notice --or they are Persian Flaws, which enhance the humanity of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. upbeat and nice. a marvelous job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it,
    you might be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will eventually come back at some point.
    I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.