Saturday, July 7, 2018

NAKED IN THE RAIN




I thought that title would grab your attention.....

......but your interest will probably diminish when you find out that it's me who was naked in the rain. 

By the way - the photo (above) is not me. I'm better looking.

One thing I've discovered during the past two weeks (see my previous blog posts) is that I never realized how much water I used until I didn't have any. It's a necessity that is sorely taken for granted.

Before I shut off the main outside water valve (to stop the flooding and fix the pipes), I managed to fill numerous pots, pitchers, and empty plastic bottles with water. But it wasn't enough.

During the span of two long and extremely hot waterless weeks, I learned the agony of having to ration and conserve.

I couldn't wash clothes, couldn't wash dishes, couldn't even properly wash my hands. When they got dirty, I simply rinsed them with hydrogen peroxide.

I couldn't even cook properly. Pasta, soup, even hot dogs need plenty of water. I made corn on the cob in the oven (my cousin Nancy suggested that) and it was absolutely delicious.

I had a helluva time shaving, because I usually use a straight blade (opposed to a gay one).

Think about that for a few moments. It will eventually become very amusing.

Even my cats consume lots of water. They have two large water dishes, which I always rinse and refill several times a day.
Bosco is a heavy consumer of H2o. That cat gulps water like I used to chug whiskey.

Should H20 be written in all capitals, or what? I wouldn't want to offend any scientists.

Going to the bathroom (or crap house, for those of you in Barstow) was a very challenging adventure....

....but I won't elaborate because I know there are decent, demure people who read my blog. Well - - one or two of you are, anyway...

I certainly couldn't take a bath or shower. But the frequent thunderstorms and torrential rain provided an opportunity to improvise.

During one particularly violent afternoon storm I quickly stripped off my clothes, grabbed a bar of soap, and ran outside.

One of the luxuries of living in the wilderness is that clothing is optional.

There is no way to describe the exhilaration of standing buck naked in a Biblical downpour and soaping up your body - - while lightning is zapping wickedly around you and deafening claps of thunder are reverberating so furiously that you can feel the vibration going right through your ass. 

This blog post has no purpose - except for my amusement and your astonishment.




19 comments:

  1. i am glad you improvised in the rain. it sounds liberating. i frequently wash my hair outdoors when it rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a liberating experience - but it would have been even more liberating if lightning struck me.
      I know several people who like to wash their hair in rain water.

      Delete
  2. Jon,

    This should prove a popular post. A few years back, several actually, how time slips away. I did a post called, "There is nudity in this post." It proved my most popular post and it still gets quite a number of hits. A number of people must have been very disappointed, though, for there really wasn't any nudity in the post. I would love to shower in the rain, but the neighbors might complain. I do not liven in the middle of a wood, but alas it the middle of a development.

    I am glad no lightning dried you off, however!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in the wilderness does have some advantages. No nosy neighbors, except the 'possums.

      I once wrote a post called "Elizabeth Taylor's Pussy" in which I had photos of Liz with her cats. It was a very popular post.

      Delete
  3. Living La Vida Loca! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47fEXGabaY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That music is perfect for showering in the rain. My only regret is that Ricky Martin didn't get naked...

      Delete
  4. That was a perfectly logical thing to do--soap up in a pouring thunderstorm. Did you also put out some tubs or bowls to catch water? One does what one has to do. BTW--I am still properly impressed by your plumbing skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita - I put some pans outside to catch rain water, but for some strange reason very little water got in the pans. Perhaps I didn't leave them out long enough....

      I was never a very self-reliant person but I learned to get that way when I lived in Texas. I had to repair fences, fix roofs, do cement work, battle snakes......
      My sissy days were definitely over.

      Delete
  5. Necessity is the mother of invention (or something) I used to watch the tiny house shows until they all started to seem the same. I do remember one of them had the shower installed outside. I don't know where the owner planned on living.
    Glad to hear you have negotiated this latest setback successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the owner of that tiny house lived in Tennessee he wouldn't need to build an outdoor shower.It rains here almost every day.

      I used to watch a lot of those tiny house shows on YouTube, but - you're right, they all start to seem the same.
      And some of those people don't live full-time in their tiny houses. They have great big houses nearby...

      Delete
  6. You'd pay a fortune for that experience if it was in a special "rain shower" cubicle in a luxury hotel!
    If you have torrential rain it could be worth buying a water-butt, although that would probably breed mosquitoes. Are mosquito plagues better than having no water? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tennessee wilderness is humid and "buggy". There are more insects here than I ever saw in my life (especially in the summer). But I was surprised to discover that I have very few mosquitoes. That's probably because I never leave any water around outside in open containers.

      Delete
  7. Any time lightening's near I tend to cringe indoors, but your experience does sound liberating … and exhilarating! Perhaps there's still a little part inside yourself that longs to walk on the wild side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great fear of lightning - and my mother was terrified of it (she had some VERY close calls with lightning).

      I suppose I've always lived dangerously and enjoyed the risks. When I was young danger was fun.
      Now, however, as I'm growing older I simply don't give a damn. If lightning strikes me my problems will be solved.

      Delete
  8. In the fifties we washed our hair in rain water and also cooked beans in rain water. We had a huge mud puddle at the end of our street which became our swimming pool when it rained and we never got sick. Can you imagine that now days?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a few people who occasionally wash their hair with rain water. I've never thought about cooking with it, but I suppose if the water is boiled it would be safe. Things were a lot better in the good ol' days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon,
    Did you get your water back yet? When we lived in the country in Pennsylvania our well ran dry. Oh I know how much we need water to function. I have this picture of you naked in the rain dodging lightening bolts. Can't get it out of my heard.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I finally got my water back after two long weeks. It's too bad that I don't have a video of myself naked and dodging lightning bolts. It would be a big hit on YouTube.

      Delete
  11. Now that is something I never did, take a shower in the rain with the thunder clapping around my naked body. You sure do know how to improvise Jon. I hope you have your water back by now.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.