Saturday, January 19, 2019

OUT OF TOWN, INTO THE FOREST



Last Wednesday I made the long, perilous, nerve-wracking journey into town. En route I endured endless delays due to road construction.

I hauled all my trash to the local Trash Place (I don't know what it's properly called).
Put gas in my car (that's petrol, for those of you in Yorkshire)
Went to the bank (I didn't rob it - I withdrew cash)
Paid some bills (I no longer pay online - it's a long story....)
Went to Walmart, the supermarket (and other places)
Stopped briefly to see my cousin Nancy
(it's no exaggeration when I say the woman is a saint - she has a heart of gold)

When I FINALLY got back home (without getting stuck in the mud this time) I breathed a Big Sigh of relief. I got enough groceries to last for weeks. I wouldn't have to venture to town again until February!!!!

Then -
I suddenly remembered that I forgot to buy milk.

Shit. I'll probably be forced to go again next week. But that's okay. I not only need milk, I have to buy a new cell phone.

Yesterday afternoon I wandered outside into the raw dampness and miserable mud to take some photos of the back yard forest.
I'm savoring this temporary respite of mild weather.
It's supposed to get frigid (again) by Saturday night
(that's tonight!). 

A view near the back porch - a few valiant evergreens in the distance.


At 3:45 in the afternoon the sun is drifting very low in the western sky and it's already beginning to get dark in the shadowy forest.

This is a bland, mundane time of year - nothing much of interest to see. Yet, the forest is (always) intriguing and atmospheric.


6 comments:

  1. a shame all went well for your trip into town except for forgetting the milk. i hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I never could go without a list...but, then again, sometimes I forgot to put something on the list--LOL! ;) You really got a lot done that day! And groceries for weeks and not stuck in the mud--awesome! Too cold for mud here. Wind chill warnings. It's -8 degrees right now. Nippy!

    I love your forest. I believe your cousin is a saint with a heart of gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weather patterns sound dismally similar. We're presently under a tornado watch, then tonight begins a Big Chill. Have you thought about keeping a big box of powdered milk on hand for such emergencies? Back when we didn't have two nickels to rub together, Troy's dad and I used that to make whole milk last longer. My own cell phone is near its end life so I'd be interested in learning what you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roads should be in excellent condition as they always seem to be working on them.

    Our landfill is run by the solid waste department so one of those names might work for yours.

    I would recommend Tracfone for your replacement cell phone. You can buy them at Walmart or online. They also will allow you to use your existing phone. I have the cheapest basic plan which provides talk, text & web. Only costs $19.99 for 90 days/60 minutes ($17.99 if using auto renew) The minutes roll over and since I hardly ever bother to turn mine on, I have quite a few after 10+ years. I've had good reception in Alaska and California. And that concludes my promotion for which I will receive zero compensation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your current scene looks much like it was here today...only now is is down to 19 and snowing and sleeting. I good night for a hot toddy and candles.


    And it never fails, even with a list, I forget something from the store everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I did shopping in person I always took a list. One time, though, I put it in a pocket and forgot it was there. It took several half-hours to remember everything I needed to buy. I do on-line shopping now because walking is a problem.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.