Monday, January 21, 2019

WOLF BLOOD MOON



There is nothing more annoying than a frequent blogger who has nothing to say.

I'm not talking about myself, of course.

I was really surprised to discover that there was a total lunar eclipse last night. I've been so immersed in my own little world of problems lately that I wasn't particularly concerned about lunar occurrences. 

I happened to find out about the eclipse on YouTube, which had numerous channels providing live-stream eclipse coverage.

Red Moon Eclipse. Blood Moon Eclipse.
Wolf's Blood Eclipse.
The titles for the event were very intriguing.

Since it's nearly always cloudy, rainy, or foggy here in the wild forests of Tennessee, I knew that my chances of seeing the eclipse were probably Zero.

But......
despite the fact that it was only 10 degrees (Fahrenheit), I stepped outside.

Incredibly, the night was clear and the moon was directly overhead! And it was already halfway obscured in shadow from the eclipse. 

The moon was yellow - not red - and there was a faint ring around it.
It was far too cold to stay outside and gawk, but I did manage to go out several times during the duration of the night to glimpse the progress of the eclipse.

I had to stay up until dawn to keep a close eye on the water pipes and make sure they didn't freeze.
I kept all the faucets on - - running at a fairly steady stream. If you just let them drip there's a good chance that they'll still freeze.

By dawn the temperature dropped to 8 degrees, but I was so tired that I (reluctantly) crawled into bed.

I got up again at around 9:00 a.m. and was horrified to discover that the hot water pipe in one of my bathrooms was frozen.
Ironically, it was the only faucet that I didn't keep running.

One little-known fact:
for some scientific reason that I can't explain, hot water pipes usually freeze more quickly than the cold water ones.

Anyway -
After my panic attack subsided, I got a hair dryer and worked on the pipe. I finally got it thawed, then I wrapped the inside pipes with an old blanket.

This frigid weather is expected to continue for (at least) the rest of this week - and next week - so I'll have a lot of sleepless nights....
.....not to mention astronomical heating and water bills.

Last winter my water bill doubled because I had to keep the faucets running so often.

I've heard rumors that spring is somewhere in the distant future.

19 comments:

  1. Oh please darling....your loyal readers and followers adore you. Why you could fart in a brown paper bag, and we'd think it was the greatest talent since Crestin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desperately needed the encouragement - - and the laugh. THANKS!!!

      Delete
  2. Catch me going out in the cold to see a moon! Seriously I have a good view through the window, that is if there is something to see. I see the moon occasionally when the time is right but when I REALLY want to see it the time is WRONG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the window is the best - and safest - place to see anything. Unfortunately I can't see the moon from my windows due to all the trees, so I'm occasionally forced to wander outside. Even when the temperature is FRIGID....

      Delete
  3. Your first line describes me perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It describes me perfectly, too. I've been saying nothing for many years.

      Delete
  4. have you considered the electric heat tapes to wrap around your water lines?
    they are low cost and keep my pipes from freezing. or the Styrofoam split tubes that you slip over pipes?
    both work for me here in the backwoods of wv.
    warm thoughts sent your way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric heat tapes are supposed to work very well, but I'm too lazy to mess with them. I'm planning to get some of the styrofoam split tubes. The biggest annoyance is that my water pipes are many different sizes, so I'll have to get lots of different tubes to accommodate them.

      Delete
  5. I didn't hear about the lunar eclipse, either. But we were having a snowstorm and couldn't see anything anyways.

    So cold! Glad you got that hot water pipe going again.

    I think of visiting blogs like stopping by for coffee at the kitchen table. If you like somebody you don't think--well, I don't want to stop and visit if I don't know what the agenda or conversation is going to be about or if they don't entertain me enough, you know? You stop by to chat over coffee because you like them and want to hear about how things are going in their life. I stop by to just visit with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised that there was a lunar eclipse because I didn't hear anything about it on the news. It was also nice that I got a glimpse of it - even though it was too cold to stay outside.

      I feel the same way about visiting blogs. It is like stopping in and chatting over coffee. I enjoy learning about other people and what's going on in their lives. To me, even the most mundane things can be interesting.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE what Rita just said!
    So, I nearly snorted at your second sentence! I wish I were more enthused about lunar occurrences; we had relatively clear skies but I couldn't be bothered to step outside. Thanks for the tips on preserving water pipes. Our temps never dropped low enough, but that's a nugget I need to hand onto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been successfully saying nothing in my blog for years.

      Ironically, when I read Rita's comment, the first thing I thought of was you sipping your morning coffee and reading blogs.

      Delete
  7. I knew it wouldn't be red! Even though I was hoping it would. I didn't see it, anyway ..sigh. it's cold here andai am sick of it already even though I went to Jersey for a few days and their climate is milder. That's the original Jersey in the (English channel Islands) not the New one. Will post about it soon.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I was able to get a glimpse of the eclipse - - even though it wasn't red and it was too cold to be outside.
      I'm thoroughly sick of the cold weather, too.
      And, by the way, my relatives in NEW Jersey are presently freezing (*smile*)

      Delete
  8. I missed the eclipse entirely and I usually go out and watch them --tremendous shadows of tremendous cosmic choreography. But I am grateful for your excellent description, Jon. Thanks.
    p.s.:Go to Pinecone Stew. Harry wishes us both a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could have stayed outside longer to watch the eclipse, but it was much too cold. The Griffith Park Observatory's channel on YouTube had good live stream coverage.

    Thanks for reminding me to visit Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BRRRR! Eight degrees is WAY too cold for me. I hope you get released from that deep freeze soon. I agree with what Ron said about those electric heat tapes. We haven't had to use them very often, but when a deep freeze is in the forecast, Smarticus pulls them out. They work beautifully. We've never had a burst pipe, and we've never left the water dripping. (That's gotta be Expen$ive!)

    Rita's right. We like you, so whatever you say is okay by us. Just like any other friend. Have a terrific weekend, cowboy. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the weather forecast and it's supposed to drop below ZERO next Tuesday and Wednesday night. I'm dreading it. Those electric heat tapes are sounding better and better......and I just might wrap some around myself.

      Delete
    2. Yipes. Below zero??? I think you should wrap one of those mummy sleeping bags around yourself and the kitties.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.