Tuesday, July 14, 2020

ALEXANDRA






  This is my latest video - a tribute to  the memory of Russian Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, formerly Princess Alix of Hesse Darmstadt (1872-1918).
She, her husband Emperor Nicholas II, and their five children were murdered by the Bolsheviks in July, 1918.

I wrote the following blog post several years ago and decided to use it as an accompaniment to my video.


Video best viewed full-screen mode






I've had a passion for Russian history ever since I first read Robert Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra when I was fifteen. I was spellbound by the breathtaking grandeur of Imperial Russia, and I was especially smitten by the love story of the Russian Nicholas Romanov and his German bride Alix (she became Alexandra Feodorovna in Russia). They were passionately in love and remained fiercely devoted until the day they died.

The only other royal couple I can think of who shared such a strong emotional and physical bond was Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert.  (ironically, Victoria was Alexandra's maternal grandmother).





The story of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra is as extraordinary and tragic as anything in the realms of fiction. The couple was completely devoted to their five children and had little desire to be the rulers of an empire. Nicholas became emperor at the age of 26, after the premature death of his father. He and his fiancee Alexandra were hastily married - - and the Russian people thought it was an evil omen for a marriage to take place so soon after a funeral. The couple were extremely ill-prepared to rule an empire.

Empress Alexandra is sometimes harshly regarded by historians and was often treated badly by the Russian people. Originally from Germany, she was regarded as an outsider by the Russians and this often generated suspicion and disdain. Later, during WWI and the Russian Revolution - when Germany was the enemy - she was despised and vilified, and was the subject of vicious untrue rumors.

When 22 year-old Alexandra arrived in Russia in 1894 for her marriage to Nicholas, she quickly had to learn the Russian language and customs, royal protocol, and - most importantly - the Orthodox religion. Her extreme shyness and nervousness were mistaken for aloofness and indifference - and later became the root of her many real and psychological illnesses and ailments. She never really connected with the Russian people.

As the granddaughter of Queen Victoria, Alexandra was no stranger to royalty, but England and Germany (the two countries where she was raised) were entirely different from Imperial Russia. Alix was only six when her sister May (Princess Marie) and mother (Princess Alice) both died of diphtheria. Her brother Prince Friedrich, who had hemophilia, died at a very early age (astonishingly, he accidentally fell out of a window).

The foremost duty of a Russian Empress was to bear a son, as an heir to the throne. After giving birth to four daughters, the pressure to have a son became so overwhelming that she resorted to mysticism and the advice of numerous bogus "holy" men. By 1902 she was in such an hysterical mental state that she deluded herself into believing she was pregnant. In August 1904 she finally did give birth to a son, Alexei.

Unfortunately, Alexandra carried the hemophilia gene (inherited from Queen Victoria), which she passed on to her son. She not only felt profound guilt because of this, she was also completely obsessed with keeping her son's illness a carefully guarded secret. In frantic desperation to "cure" her son (or at least ease his suffering), she sought the aid of numerous self-proclaimed holy men, including the infamous Grigori Rasputin. Rasputin's mesmeric powers - whether false or genuine - often seemed to aid in the recovery of Alexei's frequent hemorrhages.  Her association with Rasputin was vehemently opposed by many, and eventually greatly contributed to the downfall of the Imperial family.

Despite being blessed with beauty, wealth, and privilege, Alexandra's entire life was tainted with tragedy. The final years were the worst - - the fury of the Russian Revolution, the forced abdication of Nicholas in 1917, and the eventual imprisonment of the family.

Alexandra, her husband Nicholas II, and their five children were executed by the Bolsheviks in July, 1918. She was forty-six years old.

Jon V.





A photo of Empress Alexandra from my private collection,
 in the original hand-carved wooden frame


 Alexandra's personal bookplate
also from my collection


12 comments:

  1. I, too, have been fascinated for years by Nicholas and Alexandra. Truly heartbreaking, their story. In particular, it's hard to look at the images of she and their children.
    I so enjoyed this video tribute -- and that colorized finale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, your comment made my day! I'm glad to know that someone besides myself is interested in this subject (I think we are the only ones....).
      You're right about the photos - - it's extremely difficult to look at this innocent family while knowing their tragic (and completely unwarranted) fate. Alexandra looks hauntingly sad in many of her photos.

      Delete
  2. I love learning about history and this one is a fascinating one indeed! The tribute video was lovely, too! Thank you, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love history,too, and I think that fact is much more fascinating than fiction. I'm glad you liked the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning again! I've recently discovered another blogger with a delicious (sometimes dark) sense of humor. Can't figure out how to attach a photo, but here's a link to one of her posts: Check out the funeral song book. I nearly spit out my coffee!
    https://bohemianvalhalla.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-grapes-of-wrath.html?showComment=1594911444150#c5984837026192646140

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has occasionally left comments on my blog. Thanks for the link - - I loved the post - - and the Easy Funeral Hits is hysterically funny!

      Unfortunately, many people don't "get" my dark humor and HATE my political opinions.
      My readership has dwindled so drastically that I'm more than ready to QUIT.

      Delete
  5. Good Morning Jon,

    Thank you for this fascinating read. I have always found part of history so interesting.

    I hope all is going well with you. Take care.

    Roy From Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roy - I'm so glad you liked the post and really appreciate your input.

      I'm hanging in there - - but only by a thread. I try to keep my complaints to a minimal - but it's not easy to do....
      Take care!

      Delete
  6. Nicholas and Alexandra went through a lot and I also read the book By Robert Massie many years ago. It was fascinating and this post made me recall how much I enjoyed it. Thanks Jon for reminding me. The items from your personal collection were well worth sharing too. The tribute video was quite moving as well. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert Massie wrote his book when the Communist Soviets kept all the Romanov archives under lock and key, making research very difficult - yet his book remains highly accurate and a fascinating read. I still have a copy of it somewhere.
    The tragic fate of Alexandra and her family is really heartbreaking.

    I almost forgot that Robert Massie's own son had hemophilia, which was his inspiration for writing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Jon,

    Here in my part of The Rio Grande Valley, TX, Walmart has already started!!! I went food shopping to one in San Juan, TX and it looked like full head on production. Taped off entrance and exit. One girl with a clip board, making notes when you enter the line. Then one girl was at the end of the line with a clip board, making notes. There were two guys by the door as you go in. All were masked and looking very official. I had never been into that Walmart. It was like beautiful. So clean, blew me away!!! Brightly lit. The isles were so wide and well stocked. I found brounds there that I've not seen in other Walmarts or HEB, the other major Food Store we have in TX. The one in my town of Donna, TX is like a dump and looks like they are going out of business most of he time. This one was like a Lord and Taylor!!! Hooked me...now that is where I'm shopping going forward. All lthe employees were masked up as well. They are taking this very serious down this way. Out of 254 Counties in TX, I live in the 7th with the highest of numbers!!!

    Not only are we dealing with this Covid-19 we are dealing with back to back massive Sahara Dust from 5,000 miles across the Ocean!!! So wearing a mask helps out with that issue. Next I will need goggles, cause it plays heck with my eyes.

    And I really don't have to tell you, Jon of the TX weather....having lived here i'm sure you remember it well.

    Enjoy the weekend and do what you gotta do. Take care.

    Roy From Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Walmart you described sounds similar to the one we have here in TN - - the entrance and exit are taped off and there are masked people with clipboards.

      Texas seems to have a wide variety of Walmarts. Odessa has two. One is really nice and the other is really creepy. The one in San Angelo is weird.
      I miss HEB - - it's really a great store with a wide variety of groceries. We have Save-a-Lot here in TN and it's crappy.
      Thanks for your comment, Roy and take care.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.