Thursday, December 31, 2020

NEW YEAR'S EVE

 


I think it would be highly appropriate to have a New Year's Eve masked ball. No close dancing, of course. Absolutely no tete-a-tetes. Conversations will be conducted from across the room. With a megaphone.
And no sentimental tidings for a happy and blessed new year, because it won't be happy or blessed. Next year at this time we'll all be wearing iron masks, with balls and chains around our ankles.

I'm not trying to be a spoilsport. I'm preparing you for reality.

But we can secretly hope for a joyful, healthy, prosperous 2021. We can dream, can't we?

The Christmas snow has vanished, replaced by endless rain and ravaging dampness. This final day of the year is wet, chilly, and raw with shivery fog and wandering mists.

New Year's Eve used to be a very special time for me. I'd spend days in advance preparing elaborate things to eat. Cooking, baking, making certain everything was perfect for my guests.

Things have drastically changed in recent years. On my swift and inevitable free fall into the realms of Hell, my enthusiasm for everything has dwindled.

I wholeheartedly wish I could reverse the passing years and once again embrace the good times.

This year I haven't even planned a New Year's Eve dinner. I was initially going to make a roast in the slow cooker, but I have too many leftovers that I don't want to go to waste.

Last night I made a quick hodgepodge soup - with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and leftover ham. It's surprisingly good.

Late tonight I'll have leftover roasted chicken, baked beans, deviled eggs, creamed corn, and whatever else I can find. I also have a huge pumpkin pie.

Beverages? Ginger ale, homemade wine (with a helluva kick) and coffee or tea.

I'm not in a celebratory mood, but I'm thankful for what I have.

And I'm greatful for all the kind people who care, and those who've dared to visit my humble blog over the years.

In case you want to hear Guy Lombardo's classic rendition of Auld Lang Syne, here's a video I made last year (I revised it slightly for this year).


I might write again later tonight, if I don't fall asleep. It's presently only about 5:30 p.m.

I hope your New Year's Eve will be a very pleasant one.    Hugs, Jon

 

13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Jon! Hoping you will experience some joy in 2021.
    ♥️♥️♥️Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely video for New Year's, Jon! Yes, truth be told, I have never liked Nwew Year's Eve even when I was in my 20's I thought it was so freaking depressing honestly, but I digress - We can only hope for a better 2021, right??

    Anyhow, I am also just hanging home tonight - dinner with MIL and my mom tomorrow. Eve without the covid bullshit, I have become quite the home body and would not have ventued out anyway. Gonna work on a little NYE post I guess yet this evening - it is only 7PM here right now.

    Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup is wonderful comfort food in the winter! I made Nanaimo Bars and one daughter and her husband and in-laws will play House Party games for a while tonight. Otherwise, it will be a quiet NYE, like most of them lately. I can't even remember the last time I left the house on NYE. It was probably decades ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deviled eggs, creamed corn and baked beans.... Sounds like something my Mom used to make. It was edible... sometimes actually tasted good. But not something you would bring to a party for people to enjoy. ( Unless it was a Genther Reunion... ) Happy New year! Or at least... somewhat more cheerful year to come? Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Jon. Thanks for sharing your life with us. You’ve kept me going many times. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No argument here, dear Jon. "We’ll take a cup o’ kindness yet, For auld lang syne" All our best wishes for a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you Jon! I loved hearing and seeing your Auld Lang Syne video. Thank you for posting it. Now that I am older, I can never hear Auld Lang Syne without getting tears in my eyes, either for happiness or sadness or sometimes both. I don't know how I managed it, but this was the first time I have heard it this season, and it brought tears for sadness and tears for joy to my eyes. Tears for missing my Dad who died in February; and tears for joy because my daughter gave birth to our grand daughter on the eve before New Years Eve, and our daughter, son in law and grand daughter will be going home from hospital today, and our 10 year old grandson will finally get to meet his baby sister. A Happy New Year so far...knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Jon. I wish we readers had some way of magically exchanging your problems into vibrant health. Of course if I had that kind of magic, I'd be using it on my husband and myself, but I'd send some to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Jon, for being such a key part of my life! Your 'hodgepodge soup' sounds divine, actually. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm growing real weary of slow-cooker roasts. Give me a bowl of popcorn or a can of Hormel chile and I'll be a happy camper. May 2021 be especially kind ... you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 2021 Jon!!! Auld Lang Syne Indeed! Hugs back at ya!❤️
    P.S. I was going to change Sub-Transient View to F*ck Biden but it was already taken.😜

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sincerely hope 2021 is a kinder year to you. I am hopeful for a better year.
    I finally got started on the art journaling on New Year's Eve. That was good.
    Happy new year, Jon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My late wishes for a better new year for us all, Jon, because if it isn’t then we are all in big trouble. We were home as always on NYE and it was a good place to be. I hope you will decide to keep blogging because I would really miss your posts, sarcasm and all. Be well, my blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very late new year wishes, Jon! I've never been a great one for New years for some reason, so hardly noticed it this year. I did have some champagne on christmas day though! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.