Thursday, May 20, 2021

NEW COMPUTER

 


I finally bought a new computer when I ventured to town (I think it was on Tuesday). My laptop is nearly seven years old and still works flawlessly, but it's getting cluttered and recently the power cord isn't working properly. 

I really wanted another laptop but bought a desktop for numerous reasons. All the laptops they had in the store (Walmart, of course) looked extremely flimsy - like they were made of tin by Mattel for Romper Room.
If you don't remember Romper Room, you're too young to be reading this blog.

And most of the laptops got mediocre online reviews.

For one hundred bucks more, I bought an all-in-one HP desktop computer which got rave reviews and has more features than the laptops. It's light and compact - consisting only of a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (I hate using a mouse, after being mouseless for years - but what the heck). Best of all, it doesn't have that cumbersome 600 pound "tower" that the old computers have.

A very poor photo, washed out by the flash and taken at the kitchen table.
 

I like the concept but am admittedly skeptical of rave reviews, which are likely written by paid pros.

"The best computer I ever had, and so easy to set up! Within five minutes I was online and surfing the Internet!"

It took me 45 minutes just to extract the contraption from the box and unwrap it.
The wrappings were entwined with the intricacy of an Egyptian mummy. It seemed like I was undressing Tutankhamun. 

Setup took nearly an hour, subtracting twenty minutes just to find my security key number.

After I finally figured out where the power button is located (hidden on the side somewhere) the computer flashed on and an unbelievably LOUD female voice bellowed "HI! I'M CORTANA - WELCOME TO WINDOWS 10!!!"

It scared the Holy Jeeters out of me - not to mention 6 months worth of crap. The voice was so loud that it reverberated through the entire house, freaked the cats, and caused nesting squirrels to abandon the roof.

As I frantically tried to find where the volume adjuster was located, Corteena (or whatever) kept saying she was going to help me get through setup.

My blood pressure launched to the moon by the time I found the volume thingie.
There's an option where you can mute Cortonella (or whatever) but I figured, we're in this together - kinda like a blind date from hell.

Signing up with Microsoft is similar to joining the Communist Party or The Legion of Satan's Advocates. They attempted to drain every ounce of personal information out of me -  not to mention a pint of blood and a sperm sample.

They also literally force you to acquire unnecessary Microsoft bells and whistles during an ugly online Battle of Endurance.

By the time me and loud-mouth Cartoona (whatever) finished the setup, I was five years older and felt like I'd been gang-raped (don't panic - I'm merely trying to incorporate cheap drama into the story).

Anyway the setup was taxing but successful. I now have a new working computer, and Microsoft now knows every detail of my existence. I initially had the computer on the kitchen table but plan to keep it in my bedroom.........

where I can conquer Windows 10 and write my memoirs.


32 comments:

  1. Sorry to laugh at your computer set up problems, but it was funny. We (meaning my husband) haven't had the pleasure of the cuss-a-thon that is part of setting up a new computer here at our house. Thank goodness, I hope I haven't jinxed us now, knock on wood. I am a dullard when it comes to computers, the simplest things throw me for a loop. Cut and paste is still a challenge for me. Sometimes there are things with the computer that remind me of algebra which my brain never was able to get beyond beginning levels. I never had any problems blogging and adding photographs and captions, but from what I have read blogger has made that more difficult now. Not a good thing for me.

    Enjoy your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always delighted when I can make people laugh - - especially since I've been in such a foul mood lately. The problem with computer technology is that as soon as you figure it out, it becomes obsolete and is replaced by something new. I can't keep up with it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the laughs this gloomy morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I'm glad I put some sunshine in your gloomy morning.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on conquering Windows 10!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out Windows 8. With Microsoft, the torture never ends....

      Delete
  4. You had me in tears from laughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure for me to induce tears of joy. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  5. This was hysterical!

    And just the beginning.

    Windows 10 <---- 😑

    It was designed to destroy the best of us.

    But yay! Memoirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my computer adventure. My old laptop is really cluttered. I desperately needed a new computer so I can do some serious writing.
      Memoirs soon.....I hope.

      Delete
  6. Ooohhh yes, the FUN of screwing with modern technology - but at least you could find some homur in it (what else can you do, eh?). Anyhow, this post was comical and I can definitey RELATE! lol HATE Windows 10, but the assholes gave us no choice unless we want to deal APPLE - which I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime humor is all that can save us. I hate having to deal with computer technology. I know nothing about Windows 10 but from what I've seen, I don't like it.

      Delete
  7. Funny man! Now you've got me green with computer envy. 'Still trying to wrap my mind around no tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a pleasure to finally have a desktop computer without the tower and a thousand different wires. The only two hookups I have now are the keyboard and mouse.

      Delete
  8. Laptops, even top of the line ones, don't last as long as desktops and are much more glitchy. I buy a medium to top of the line one and they NEVER last more than a couple years. I have the same problem with packaging. Cortana is a PITA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really surprised that my laptop is still working after nearly seven years - but it's showing ominous signs that it won't last much longer. I feel better knowing that I now have a new, working computer (hopefully....)

      Delete
  9. Awesome! My computer came with the "T" key sticking right out of the box. Having paid a small fortune for it, I only discovered this problem AFTER I set the darn thing up and voided any return policy. Sometimes my blog posts are missing "T" s because Spell check won't catch it and I missed it proofreading. ("The" becomes "he" and spell check doesn't care...)
    Did you lie on your information? I wonder what would happen if I said I was an "African Female of size" with no high school diploma, one eyeball, and voted for Trump! ( Did they ask your political affiliation? If you are vaccinated? If you own a gun? ) It has been a while since I had to go through the Window's 10 Anal Probe, but after the set up, I use foxfire and google for everything. I delete all those "Helpful Perks" that clutter my desktop.
    Anyway, Hard part is over! Hope to read those Memoirs soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extremely frustrating to know how easily (and aggressively) Microsoft manipulates you into surrendering personal information. Nothing is sacred anymore.
      I use Firefox, which I really like even though it can sometimes be annoying. And I plan to delete all those "helpful perks" that multiply on the desktop.

      Delete
  10. So happy for you that you got a new computer. My desktop totally died a couple months ago. The only place I could find any computer was walmart Oh my gosh. I had to return it because the internet connection inside wasn't working most of the time. Good grief, but then I had 5 different people tell me about a private family store that sells computers. It was worth the additional money to get a computer that actually works. Although its a laptop and I am not a huge fan of it. I want my desktop back. haha! Anyway, you had me in stitches laughing from your Cortana lady, I had the same thing happen. Sheesh! Take care Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really difficult to get a good computer. Some of them just turn out to be lemons. My old laptop came from Walmart and has worked flawlessly for nearly seven year - a rare stroke of luck, I suppose.

      I'm glad you enjoyed my attempts at humor. That Cortana lady really freaked me out.

      Delete
  11. Laughing so hard, this was great Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I often make myself laugh (which is a good thing).

      Delete
  12. Dear Jon, do be tolerant with Cortana. She's not the sharpest artificial intelligence tool in the shed. However, she comes up with some surprising pithy answers. Try asking,"Cortana, what do you look like?" and you'll see she has some profound ambitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if Cartoona and I will develop a meaningful relationship - since I prefer talking to myself. One positive aspect, however, is that I can always mute her....

      Delete
  13. First, Jon, I am adding my congrats on your new PC and hope that in the future you and the voice inside will be on friendly terms and mute is a very good thing! It's amazing how much information these inanimate objects can gather about their human owners. I am a former Windows user, but have been using a Mac for several years. It's not without its own quirks, idiosyncrasies and downright annoyances. Your post did give me a good laugh and I shared with Grenville as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will take a long time for me to conquer Windows 10. I'm still trying to figure things out on Windows 8. I've thought about abandoning Windows, but I've used it for so long that I'd be hesitant (afraid) to try anything else. Computer technology and I have never been friends....

      Thanks for sharing this with Grenville and I'm glad it gave you some laughs.

      Delete
  14. I just went through this Feb of this year. New Asus All In One. I love it but went throguht the same thing you did. i have laughed until i have tears running down my face. great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always very reluctant to try new things. I prefer the safety of what I already know. It's encouraging to hear that you love your "All in One". I hope it won't take too long for me to get used to Windows 10.
      I'm delighted that this post gave you laughs. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Happy, Jon that you got a new computer. I hope that it will do you well and you will get use to it. It looks very nice. I am afraid that my Desk Top, going 10 years is going to give out soon. My nephew built it for me and it has been wonderful. I like this one that you got, as you do not need the tower!!!

    Like you, I dread the set up process!!! At 79, I don't know if I can handle it (LOL)!!!

    Best of luck with it and enjoy!!!
    Roy from Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy, I've always had a hard time dealing with new things. I like my laptop and everything is set up perfectly. I'm sure it will take awhile to get used to a new computer and Windows 10. It's a relief not to have a tower and all those connecting wires.

      I hope your 10-year-old desktop computer will hold out - - it's annoying having to get a new one. Take care.

      Delete
  16. your tongue and cheek assessment of the computer setup experience had me crying and laughing. been there done that. unwrapping a mummy bowled me over. tis true. and in the spirit of full disclosure romper room was on my tv viewing list onnce upon a time. congrats on the new equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me a long time to get used to anything new - especially when it comes to technology. Glad I provided you with some laughs!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.