Saturday, October 16, 2021

COLD SPOOKY OCTOBER NIGHT

I just went out on the back porch to brush the dust off an extra blanket that I'm putting on the bed. Almost immediately, a pack of coyotes rambled out of the forest and came unnervingly close to the porch.

They immediately started their ghastly chorus of wails, cries, shrieks, and demonic laughter. Spooky, indeed, but also extremely fascinating. I ran to get my cell phone so I could record their midnight serenade, but by the time I turned the dang thing on the coyotes were meandering far away from the house. Their visit was brief.

I wish there was some way to describe how incredibly dark - and I mean dark - it is here at night. Absolute blackness.
When I first moved here I was freaked out for about two weeks - - imagining that I'd be killed by hungry wolves...or a crazed ax murderer lurking in the forest. My imagination ascended to new levels of horror.

The front porch tonight, with the ghost-like swing

Soon I got used to the isolated loneliness and actually welcomed it. I wandered outside fearlessly at night - - even sometimes left the doors unlocked when  I went to bed.

Come to think of it, this reckless insanity isn't new. I've lived dangerously most of my life. When I think back of all the dangerous things I've done, I shudder.
Deep down somewhere in semi-consciousness is a death wish. I've known that for a long time.

Change of subject.

Crisp autumn weather finally blew in to rural Tennessee this weekend. When I walked in the woods a few days ago it was nearly 80 degrees. Today (Saturday) there was an invigorating wind and the daytime temperature was 53 degrees (Fahrenheit). A fantastic autumn day. It's supposed to be in the 30s late tonight. The October midnight ghosts are shivering. 

I hadn't planned on writing a blog post tonight, but the coyotes inspired me. What I had planned was to post a rerun of Mephistopheles at Midnight  (the Hollywood Halloween orgy) - - but I'm deciding if it will be too offensive and erotic for my delicate readers.
I have an uncanny knack for offending just about everyone - which is why my readership has dropped drastically this past year.

I personally think I'm unique and fascinating, but I guess that's beside the point
(wry *smile* inserted here).

Well, hell, Mephistopheles will probably be my next post. Just to annoy you.

It's getting late and it's very chilly. I'm going to crawl into bed...and probably watch a scary movie.
I'll make sure the doors are locked tonight.....

Pleasant dreams, Jon

 

15 comments:

  1. Oh I think the coyotes would be neat to hear. We don't have them here but I have heard them and I find it soothing. Here I listening to the fox at night. They either call to their young, or it's a vixen warning another female who is entering her territory. When I hear fox and wolves and such I always think of Bram Stokers Dracula.

    “Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!” ― Bram Stoker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coyotes very often sound human - they laugh and scream and almost seem to have conversations. Really weird. I never heard foxes until quite recently.
      I like that quote from "Dracula". Wolves do indeed make music. So far as I know, there aren't any wolves around here.

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted to hear your weather's finally turned! Putting an extra layer on the bed never fails to stroke my senses. I'm unsure how similar coyotes are to wolves (and too lazy to check) ... but your encounter reminded me of something I shared on my blog way back in 2010: https://mevely317.blogspot.com/2010/08/unity-through-uniqueness.html

    Just be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coyotes sound a lot different from wolves. They make a wide variety of sounds that are often like human voices. Disturbing yet fascinating.
      I enjoyed reading your interesting post about wolves. I've never seen it before - I think 2010 was before I started following your blog.

      Delete
  3. I imagine a pack of coyotes carrying on like that would sound very creepy. Make sure your sweet kitty companions don't dart out the doors with packs of coyotes like that living nearby.

    A couple of years ago at about 430 am one freezing cold morning I opened my front door to see if the moon was still up. It wasn't, but I heard the freakiest sound, it sounded like a little baby crying and crying. I thought well I guess someone has to leave early for work and they put that baby into the car seat and it's crying, but the sound kept on from that same place it for nearly 10 minutes, and I decided that couldn't be a human baby, and then the sound of the baby crying started moving. It was moving along behind the houses down the street from us where there is a brush and tree lined ditch and then culvert that has water in it year round. The sound was so eerie in the freezing cold air, that the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

    I spent the next 1 1/2 hours googling what that animal sound could have been. From what I could find it must have been a fox, maybe a vixen protecting her territory. It was even more eerie sounding than the type of screech owls that sound like a woman screaming.

    People who are not night owls don't know what they are missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to keep a careful eye on my kitties - - but they are notorious for running outside when you least expect it. A few years ago my cat Kitzee was outside all night in a rain storm and I never knew it until dawn! I used a space heater and hair dryer to dry her off.

      I never heard foxes until quite recently. They seem to make weird human-like sounds - similar to coyotes.

      I've been a night owl as long as I can remember - and I love it!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweet Jesus! I am freaked out enough about the red fox we have invading our area near our house. TOO creepy for my liking at any rate - and their teeth? I saw one up close one time while going on one of my walks down the road. It was standng right across the road from me and just glaring at me! Nasty as all HELL!

    They are definitely opportunists and will kill ANY small animal, dog, cat (family fur baby) in a heartbeat.

    Yeah, I think that post would be interesting! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are foxes around here but I've never seen one up close. And I never knew that their teeth were so terrible. If there's one near your house, keep a close eye on your precious kitties (I'm thinking of the one that's outside).

      Possums also have very sharp, dangerous teeth. I have had several possums in the house!! One of them got in through the clothes dryer vent. My cats (bravely) cornered him and I was able to capture him in a cage.

      The joys of living in a rural area....

      Delete
  6. I don't think I'd be comfortable meeting brave coyotes in the night.
    I am loving the chilly weather up here, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hearing the coyotes late at night when I'm SAFELY in the house...but it's really unnerving to encounter a pack of them when I'm outside. The weird thing is that they usually creep up silently...and then they suddenly start clamoring and howling all at once. And it's nearly impossible to see them in the dark.

      I love the crisp autumn weather - - but I'm dreading winter.
      Take care and keep warm!

      Delete
  7. That is the way of the camera and wildlife. Unless the camera is in my hand and ON... I will miss the wildlife shot. I'm impressed even when I am prepared for it.. and still manage to miss the shot. Perhaps the Coyotes were looking for your cats as a snack. They do eat domestic pets that are smaller than them. I would hope the cats leave them a scar to remember them by at the very least. We welcome the cooler temps as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to film/record the coyotes numerous times but have been consistently unsuccessful. It's almost impossible to film animals or birds. As you said, the camera has to be on and in hand.

      I keep my cats (safely) indoors, but often let them out on the porch if it's sunny. I always worry that a hawk might swoop them away.

      Delete
  8. Yikes it really is dark in your yard, Jon, and I would be concerned about things that go bump in the night as you already have the howling coyotes. Cooler jacket weather was here in Nashua, NH, for a couple of days and pleased me immensely, then the daytime temps warmed up to near 70 degrees, what a disappointment! Glad your weather has turned cooler. I will be awaiting Mepisto….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures have been erratic here in TN - crisp and cool one day and warm the next. The foliage has been very slow in turning colors. I'll probably post "Mepisto" (soon?) but I'm not sure when.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.