Friday, October 22, 2021

THE BOGEY WAIL RESURGENCE

 




I'll be the first to admit that my YouTube channel (jayveesonata) is crappy. I started it about a dozen years ago simply as a place to preserve some of my piano videos and recordings.

Later I ventured into making other videos, solely for my own pleasure - such as tributes to people in history whom I admired (Empress Alexandra of Russia, Eva Peron, King Ludwig of Bavaria, etc). The art of making videos was completely foreign to me and I admittedly didn't have a clue what I was doing - but that never stopped me.

My YouTube channel was a personal endeavor. I never yearned to have subscribers and certainly never wanted it monetized. Through the years I had about 35 subscribers and felt fortunate if my videos got 20 or 30 views (one of my earliest videos - a tribute to silent screen star Pola Negri - surprisingly got over 4,000 views).

I was truly baffled when, over the past few weeks, I started to get new subscribers to my channel. I was shocked to get an email from YouTube, congratulating me for hitting the 100+ mark.

I figured it was either a mistake or a joke.

What stunned me into oblivion was when I recently checked one of my Halloween videos, The Bogey Wail, and saw that it has over 15,000 views! 

How the heck did that happen?

I made The Bogey Wail about four years ago - inspired by a 1929 song by vocalist Jack Hylton. It was a fun Halloween endeavor, but nothing special at all.

Anyway, I'm flattered that it received some unexpected attention. And I'm posting it here as a silly tribute to Halloween.

Cheers, Jon



Heck, if a "resurgence" ever happened to this blog, perhaps I'd actually get one or two comments......instead of this annoying eternal silence.
 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that I do not have the slightest idea how to post videos on YouTube. I only know how to look them up to watch them lol!

    This is such a cool video - and an awesome tribute to Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get a big kick out of these old, spooky cartoons. I had lots of fun putting this video together.

      Delete
  3. Another one of my favorites, Jon! Present-day Halloween can't compare to these campy oldies. But then, not much can. Thank you for continuing to perpetuate the 'good stuff.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely love the old-fashioned aspect of Halloween (and everything else, for that matter). You're right - the unimaginative things they have nowadays can't compare to the "campy oldies".

      Delete
  4. I always thought those old cartoons were creepy. Including steamboat Micky! I know Walt made a fortune and an empire with that animation, but looking back, I can only think it was because there were no Tom and Jerry or Bugs Bunny back then. Saturday Morning Cartoons rocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney sure didn't have much competition when he created Steamboat Mickey. His early efforts were kind of creepy - but I loved the later Silly Symphonies.
      I was a big Popeye fan when I was a kid.

      Delete
  5. This was great fun to see, Jon, and congrats on upsurge in views which goes to show that your creative efforts were enjoyed by many more. And, it is about time for some good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun making this video - I really like those creepy old cartoons. And I was shocked to discover that it got so many views on YouTube.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.