Thursday, October 14, 2021

WALKING ON THE EDGE OF AUTUMN

 


I'm foolishly suppressing my problems, refusing to deal with them. I managed to get my car running again but it's still ailing. I'll drag it to town next week to get checked. 

As for my (many) other woes - - to hell with them. I'll eventually take them on one at a time. Slowly.

Yesterday and today I ventured outside to walk in the forest. These were my first woodland treks this autumn. Yesterday was overcast, humid, very mild - - a languid, yawning, abstract day which perfectly reflected my mood. Today there was pale, feeble sunshine and intoxicating warmth.

Despite the fact that it's nearly mid-October, autumn has not yet arrived in my neck of the woods. The leaves are withering slightly but still mostly green, with only hints of upcoming color. The autumnal burst of color won't materialize for another week or two - the usual peak is around Halloween.

It's fortunate that the forest is only a few yards from the house. I physically didn't really feel like walking but it was nice to get out.
Due to an enormous amount of steady rain this year, the forest has changed. Familiar places where I used to walk are now obstructed by overgrowth. Everything looks different....like a jungle scene from The Lost World (I watched the old 1925 movie last night).

My ancient El Cheapo camera seems tired and worn out (like myself). It didn't really capture the essence of my surroundings; it didn't do it justice.

Random, boring glimpses of my world.

Rising sun peeking through trees this morning



Venturing into the forest around noon

 




A few timid leaves are starting to turn colors


 




A glimpse of my house at the edge of the forest

Kitzee on the front porch. You'd never know I painted that porch a year ago. It looks like it hasn't been painted in 50 years.
 

Bosco checking out the pumpkin. He never stays still long enough to take a good photo.

A pork shoulder roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions. It was really good. I'm tempted to buy another one next week and have it again.
 

15 comments:

  1. Your woods looks pretty today, but it looks like it would be pretty difficult to walk through though, but you probably know where the deer paths are.

    It is always cute to see what your kitties are doing. Bosco looked cute
    checking out the pumpkin.

    The Pork roast with potatoes, carrots and onions all cooked together looked delicious. I bet your home smelled so delicious with that cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really difficult to walk in the woods this year. An abundance of overgrowth with lots of vines and thorns, not to mention the slippery moss and mud. I wore my work boots and brought a walking stick, both of which helped.
      Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm finally in the mood to cook. I always hate cooking in the summer.

      Delete
  2. I always love your woodland pictures Jon, and that is a perfectly round shaped pumpkin. Very much a Halloween picture with Bosco and the pumpkin. Our trees and foliage are much like your still here too. I have seen very little color change yet. It just may be like a couple years back, when the foliage peaked in mid November. Still in the mid 80's here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised and disappointed that the leaves are still so green. It was nearly 80 here yesterday but much cooler weather is expected this weekend.
      I wanted to get a good Halloween picture with Bosco and the pumpkin but he just wouldn't stay still. I'm tempted to sedate him (*smile*).

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, untamed images! Bosco's so stinkin' cute, and Kitzee's like, "Whatever, dude." Your roast is making my mouth water; aren't slow cookers the BEST?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until the trees reach their autumnal peak so I can take some good pictures. Right now the forest looks like a jungle.
      I LOVE the slow cooker. Everything I make turns out tender and savory. And it's so easy!

      Delete
  4. The pics of your woods and backyrard remind me so much of our woods on our land when I was growing up. My mom lives there still. Love these photos, Jon!

    And that food! OOOHHHH YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my ancient digital camera could take better pictures. The forest actually looks better in real. It's nice that your Mom still lives in the place where you grew up.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, and as always, I adore your kitty pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably take more photos of myself - but the cats look better....

      Delete
  6. Looked like the enchanted forest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, it really seems like an enchanted forest. It seems to have a haunted, other-world feeling about it.

      Delete
  7. Perhaps the enchanted forest will look better once there's a bit more color, Jon? Just trying to look on the bright side of the jungle. Actually, your forest looks about like the large city park we walk in near the mill apts which is still mostly filled with green. This is the southern part of NH and by comparison there are some stunning foliages further up and we've seen a lot of color usually from highway traveling where it's impossible to get a good photo. BTW that crockpot dinner looks good and nothing like setting it all up and then forgetting about it for the rest of the day. We recently had a crockpot pork dinner as well. Good news on getting the car to at least run and hope it can be checked out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foliage here should have a lot more color in another week or so. I'm hoping there will be some sunny days so I can take better pictures.
      NH really has some spectacular foliage this time of year. I remember being there in the autumn when I was a child and it was magical.
      The crockpot comes in handy and everything I make in it turns out delicious.

      Delete
  8. Very nice post Jon. I always enjoy your "walk through the woods." Be careful of the ticks though, they drop from the trees and lurk in the tall grass. I hardly have a "woods" here but what I do have, the ticks have got me a couple of times already.






    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.