Saturday, September 21, 2024

SWEET MEMORIES




While I was in the process of Googling vintage Halloween stuff (a pathetic example of how I waste my time) I happened to come across this ancient ad for Wowe-e. It immediately ignited a burst of childhood memories.

Candy and childhood are synonymous and the Wowe-e  harmonica whistle was one of my all-time favorites. Actually, it wasn't candy at all. It was made of sweet wax that could be chewed like gum. Most kids, however, liked the whistle so much that they didn't want to ruin it by chewing the wax. The Wowe-e whistles were 5 cents - which was a little out of my price-range - but I did manage to buy a few during my recklessly indulgent wonder years.

The wax whistles were patented in the 1920's and made by Glenn Confections. The above ad is from 1948, which was before my time. I remember them from the 1960's.

The original Wowe-e whistles are no longer made, but I think reasonable facsimiles are available. When I was a kid, it wasn't Halloween without them. I still remember the distinct fluted sound of the whistle.

 These are the exact whistles that I remember
with the same Halloween labels

I was crazy about the wax novelties that always appeared at the beginning of the Halloween season. Big red wax lips, black mustaches, vampire teeth, and wax fingers. I seldom chewed the wax, but rather preferred to keep my treasures preserved in a small box in the refrigerator. Naturally, my father would inevitably throw them out. 



The height of my childhood candy career came between the ages of 8 and 11, when we lived in Pomona, California. There were two stores where we kids would always buy candy - Ted's Liquor Store and Roy's Liquor Store. Both were located on Fifth Street, the street on which I lived (Fifth Street has since been renamed Mission Boulevard).

Ted's was a small store. We went there very often solely because it was conveniently located on our way to school. Unfortunately, Ted was the meanest son-of-a-b***h in Pomona. An incredibly grouchy old man who hated children (it's bitterly ironic that I can fully relate to his feelings now).

He would grumble under his breath as we dug out our pennies to purchase candy. He also always checked our pockets and lunch boxes to make sure we weren't stealing.
When I was a child, I was so impeccably innocent and unbearably honest, that the thought of stealing never even entered my mind.



Roy's Liquor Store was twice as big as Ted's and much more child-friendly, but we only went there on weekends because it was much farther down the street. Roy's had an enormous selection of candy. And comic books.

Is it only the sweet nostalgia of my memory, or was the quality and taste of candy really better back then?

There were so many varieties of candy favorites that my faulty memory can't contain them all.








Bit-O-Honey and Good & Plenty, Sugar Daddies and Black Cows, thin Necco Wafers and jellied Chuckles. Turkish Taffy in chocolate, banana, and strawberry. Impossibly hard Jujubes. Root Beer Barrels. Hot Tamales. LifeSavers. Tootsie Rolls. Abba-Zaba. Pay Day and Clark Bars. Chunkies. Giant jawbreakers that had different layers of colors.






Black Jack chewing gum, Chiclets, Dubble Bubble and Bazooka Bubble Gum. Not to mention candy cigarettes and cinnamon-flavored toothpicks. And bubble gum cards.

I remember when a little Mexican girl in our class accidentally swallowed a cinnamon toothpick and had to be rushed to the hospital. Our teacher Mrs. Butler immediately gave us a harrowing lecture about the dangers of cinnamon toothpicks.

Returning to the wax theme, I used to like those little cartons of tiny wax bottles that contained colored sugar liquid. They are still being manufactured under various names and variations.

The 
present restriction of political correctness has inspired the ban of the once-popular wax six-shooters. They were pistol-shaped and (like the little wax bottles) were filled with a sweet colored liquid that you could drink.




I also recall the now obsolete and politically incorrect Nigger Babies. The startling, offensive name inspired me to do some research, but information is vague and very conflicting. They are mentioned in a 1945 issue of Confectionery & Ice Cream World, vol. 33, page 34.

Many people remember this candy but even the description varies. The original candy was supposedly made of licorice, but later the little baby-shaped candies were made of a caramel chocolate. I distinctly remember the chocolate-type ones.

My guess is that different candy companies manufactured similar black "baby" candies under various names at  different times - including Chocolate Babies and Tar Babies.



In the innocent age of my childhood the name wasn't considered offensive and we kids never thought of it as being racist. I actually thought the little babies were cute. Things are entirely different in the present era of intense racial awareness and extreme hypersensitivity. At any rate, the candy was never particularly popular.

While I'm on a roll, who could forget Pez? Let's face it, Pez candy was absolute crap but those dispensers were immensely appealing. They are still being manufactured and the old ones are collectibles.




Childhood trends come and go, but the intrigue of candy will always remain.

With sweet wishes,
Jon

P.S.
I wrote this post several years ago and figured it was time for a rerun.
Halloween candy is alarmingly expensive nowadays.

33 comments:

  1. A fascinating array of Halloween offerings, many of which I have only become acquainted with in my adult years. Growing up in England, Halloween was a much less elaborate occasion, a small turnip lantern, and no costumes. My how times have changed.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long ago Halloween was a simple occasion. Decorations consisted of pumpkins and autumn leaves. Costumes and food were homemade. Nowadays Halloween in America is almost as big as Christmas. I much prefer the old concept.

      Delete
  2. Boy, that brought back the memories. I particularly loved the wax ' pop bottles' as well as the big, red wax lips. Pez was crap, but the dispensers were cool and are now quite collectible. I also liked Black Jack chewing gum. I think you can still buy that on-line. I don't remember the wax 'whistles'? I must have missed that one. But, considering I barely remember yesterday I'm not surprised. As the song goes....thanks for the memories.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember so many types of candy that it boggles my mind. Some of them still exist, but they're just not the same. Those wax whistles are still around but made by different companies. I remember Black Jack gum!

      Delete
  3. Vintage Candy Co. sells boxed collections of candy from different eras. There are a few companies that do it. Amazon is full of them. I ordered a 1980's box for my baby brother years ago. It was a hit! I just checked and there is a 60's version.

    "The Wowe-e whistles were 5 cents - which was a little out of my price-range - but I did manage to buy a few during my recklessly indulgent wonder years."

    😄 I can hardly imagine this now. 5 cents? There is not even a cents on my keypad to type this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when you said cents isn't on your keypad. Times have certainly changed. I used to buy candy with pennies and nickles. Nowadays kids probably need credit cards.
      I've heard about those boxes of vintage candies - - and I'm tempted....

      Delete
  4. Those big wax lips made me Laugh!!
    When we (my siblings & I) were kids in the 50’s we lived in a village in the mountains in California. My dad worked for Union Carbide and the company had a housing project of about eight long rows of houses! On Halloween we would go up and down each row carrying our big brown grocery bags and by the time we got home our bags were topped off with all the best candy there was. Occasionally some other kid would tell us the Smiths (we knew where everyone lived) were handing out those big Snicker Bars and everyone would take off running (in those cumbersome costumes) to the Smith’s to get a big candy bar! The candy the kids get now has no comparison to what we used to get! 😂😂
    Oh my, Sorry so long but thanks for the memories!
    Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - - the kids nowadays don't get the good stuff that we did. We also got homemade things, like brownies cookies, and candied apples. Today there's a danger associated with accepting food from strangers.
      Fond memories! Thanks, Pat.

      Delete
  5. oH how I loved the little wax bottles filled with the colored sugar liquid. I can recall when I was little, I stayed with my grandmother in the summer's during the week when school was out and my parents worked. We either went to the corner store where her freind owned a little neighborhood store, where she always got me a little brown bag to fill with penny candies, or she had a Charles Chips truck that made rounds in the neighborhood that sold chips and pretzels. The truck also has a wide array of candies and it's where I got the little wax bottles.

    I used to love the ice cream truck too. We still have one that drives the neighborhood here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little wax bottles always intrigued me, and they still make them but they're hard to find. I never heard of the Charles Chips trucks but I sure remember the ice cream trucks.
      I wonder if penny candies still exist?

      Delete
  6. What a shower of memories you've unleashed, Jon. My tastebuds are exploding as we speak - mostly for those wax bottles of sugar liquid. (You can have the PEZ, yuck.) I'm actually tempted to find some of those wax lips and whistles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those wax novelties were always my favorites. They still exist (probably can be found on the Internet?). When I lived in the Missouri Ozarks (as an adult) I found the wax whistles in a local drug store.
      PEZ was my least favorite candy.

      Delete
  7. Goodness! I don't remember half of these. We had to walk really far (maybe a mile) to get to the little yellow gas station that had tons of penny candy, so those trips were rare. My brother and sister and I preferred chocolate candies the best (more than a penny) but I never saw chocolate babies. We bought jaw breakers and bubble gum and sweet tarts and the weird sweet tart like powder inside of straws (can't remember their name). Candy cigarettes were a real treat and wrapped caramels. This was in the late 50s. But all those penny candies I related to summer and not Halloween because that was the only time of year we could sneak off with a little bit of change and make the long trek to the yellow house gas station. :) Great memories, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reply to your comment disappeared. Blogger is annoying! I'll try again later.

      Delete
    2. There weren't too many chocolate candies where we went as kids, but there was a large selection of other candy. I do remember the straws with the powder in them but I don't recall the name.
      So long ago but it seems like yesterday.

      Delete
  8. I remember on a field trip my 6th grade class made to San Francisco (we were living in Oakland for a year), and I had 50 cents to spend. This would have been 1956. I spent 25 cents on a baseball sized wax orange, filled with orange sugar water. The stem broke off to form a straw, if I remember.
    A few years ago I had some black Jack gum, it's still being made. A candy store in Butte sells it, and the clove one too.
    Nice post, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw a wax orange but it sounds intriguing. I wonder if they still make them. I always liked the Black Jack gum as a child. The bubble gum was SO sweet that it's a wonder my teeth didn't fall out.
      I was having a lot of trouble with blogger today. Comments and replies kept disappearing. I think everything is finally back to normal....

      Delete
  9. Those straws with weird powder were called kali where I grew up in the UK. Pronounced kay-lie. Parents used to speak of it with scorn, to put kids off, I suppose. Junk candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked those straws. If memory serves me, they tasted too tart. Much of the candy was admittedly junk (*smile*).
      Thanks, Liz!

      Delete
  10. I remember almost ALL of these as a kid! Miss those good ole days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the price of Halloween candy online I almost fainted. Our childhoods were definitely the good ol' days.

      Delete
  11. I remember the wax whistles and wax drinks. I liked sugar Daddies, mamas and babies. I think you can get the chewing gum brands and wax drink bottles at Cracker Barrel. I can remember in the little grocery store near us, for 50¢, you could get a bag of chips, a Shasta cola and a Zero candy bar. I think Zero’s were cheaper than the others. Thanks for the memories. Take care, Sheila Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - - nowadays you can't even get a candy bar for 50 cents. I don't think I've ever heard of a Zero candy bar.
      Thanks, Sheila!

      Delete
  12. Childhood memories so sweet and yet so far. I remember almost all of these, being a child of the sixties and seventies. Those wax novelty candies of Halloween we loved as kids then were probably choking hazards. :(
    Jujubes, with sort of strange fruit flavors, and chocolate Sugar Daddies were great until you were an adult with caps or fillings that these sweet things would pry off your teeth !
    My favorites were Cherry Mash, Chuckles, Dots as a kid, and Beemans gum as a teenager and that fruit gum with the zebra. My all time favorite treat were called Banana Flips by Mickey snack cakes. ( now gone like others because of corporate mergers and greed) All available at Sav-Ons, Thrifty Drug and Red’s liquor store near the circle in Orange, where they sold those metal and plastic radios in the shape of classic cars, and those windup salloon lady dolls. And of course the Orange, Hi-Way 39, Harbor and the Stadium drive in theaters. Our family was at the Harbor’s opening in July 1967 where Raquel Welch was the guest of honor with the showing of her films Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC ! Long lines when she signed posters for everyone. Now it’s all gone it seems, I feel sorry for the kids today, of course our parents and grandparents felt the same way about us and the lack of penny candies that they had.
    Jon, thank you for these sweet filled memories ! :)
    -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange that I always chewed gum as a child but dislike it now. I suppose it has to do with my teeth - like you said, it's not easy to eat Sugar Daddies as adults!
      Those huge jawbreakers that I remember were really a choking hazzard.
      Thanks for sharing your memories!

      Delete
  13. Wow, Jon, this post certainly brought back sweet memories (couldn’t resist the pun). I most remember the bottles filled with sugary liquid and the red lips. This summer, I saw the lips on a candy display in a Cape Cod ice cream place and they were dollar, not cents, priced. It’s too bad that Halloween has become so commercialized and a 1-day that was fun years ago is now BIG business. My brother and I would canvas neighborhood streets wearing costumes that were usually homemade using old or oversize clothing, no special makeup or effects and treat bags were paper bags from home. I recall that favorite treats were the large bars of Babe Ruth, Butter Fingers, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, Hershey chocolate. The concept of fun or snack sized candies did not exist. Yes, the prices have increased while the sizes have decreased. Some stores even have security locks on bagged candies and I may post about a local one later this week, certainly it’s not the only one to do so, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a shame that Halloween has become so commercialized - - almost as big as Christmas. And having to put security lock on bags of candy is a disheartening necessity nowadays.
      When I was a kid those wax lips were only a penny.
      Times have sure changed.

      Delete
    2. Jon, my post today is about how candy displays and other items at the local CVS have security tags that are removed at checkout. I included a mention and link to this post about vintage candies.

      Delete
  14. I really enjoyed your post-I was born in 1949 so I remember most of these. We had a candy store that was a several block walk away from home-Mom would give us a little money to shop there. Beatrice Boyd sent me to your post.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Kathy. BTW - - I lived in the Missouri Ozarks before I moved to Tennessee.

      Delete
  15. since I am 80, I remember all of these and more, some from my childhoodm some from my sons who are about to turn 60 and 58 in Feb. one I don't see here is those small bars of striped peanut butter.. my favorite. Born in Savannah Ga, lived in KY age 5 to 10 and back to Savannah and now in Florida. I do research of things like this when I start looking, bob calls it down the rabbit hole, the same rabbit hole I chase down when telling a story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those bars of striped peanut butter, but don't remember what they were called.
      I've never been to Florida, but I have two cousins there. I was raised in California and lived there for 30 years. Then I lived in Missouri, Texas, and now I'm in Tennessee.
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.