Friday, October 1, 2021

SWEET MEMORIES





While I was in the process of Googling vintage Halloween stuff (a pathetic example of how I waste my time) I happened to come across this ancient ad for Wowe-e. It immediately ignited a burst of childhood memories.

Candy and childhood are synonymous and the Wowe-e wax harmonica whistle was one of my all-time favorites. Actually, it wasn't candy at all. It was made of sweet wax that could be chewed like gum. Most kids, however, liked the whistle so much that they didn't want to ruin it by chewing the wax. The Wowe-e whistles were 5 cents - which was a little out of my price-range - but I did manage to buy a few during my recklessly indulgent wonder years.

The wax whistles were patented in the 1920's and made by Glenn Confections. The above ad is from 1948, which was before my time. I remember them from the 1960's.

The original Wowe-e whistles are no longer made, but I think reasonable facsimiles are available. When I was a kid, it wasn't Halloween without them. I still remember the distinct fluted sound of the whistle.

 These are the exact whistles that I remember
with the same Halloween labels

I was crazy about the wax novelties that always appeared at the beginning of the Halloween season. Big red wax lips, black mustaches, vampire teeth, and wax fingers. I seldom chewed the wax, but rather preferred to keep my treasures preserved in a small box in the refrigerator. Naturally, my father would inevitably throw them out. 



The height of my childhood candy career came between the ages of 8 and 11, when we lived in Pomona, California. There were two stores where we kids would always buy candy - Ted's Liquor Store and Roy's Liquor Store. Both were located on Fifth Street, the street on which I lived (Fifth Street has since been renamed Mission Boulevard).

Ted's was a small store. We went there very often solely because it was conveniently located on our way to school. Unfortunately, Ted was the meanest SOB in Pomona. An incredibly grouchy old man who hated children (it's bitterly ironic that I can fully relate to his feelings now).

He would grumble under his breath as we dug out our pennies to purchase candy. He also always checked our pockets and lunch boxes to make sure we weren't stealing.
When I was a child, I was so impeccably innocent and unbearably honest, that the thought of stealing never even entered my mind.



Roy's Liquor Store was twice as big as Ted's and much more child-friendly, but we only went there on weekends because it was much farther down the street. Roy's had an enormous selection of candy. And comic books.

Is it only the sweet nostalgia of my memory, or was the quality and taste of candy really better back then?

There were so many varieties of candy favorites that my faulty memory can't contain them all.







Bit-O-Honey and Good & Plenty, Sugar Daddies and Black Cows, thin Necco Wafers and jellied Chuckles. Turkish Taffy in chocolate, banana, and strawberry. Impossibly hard Jujubes. Root Beer Barrels. Hot Tamales. LifeSavers. Tootsie Rolls. Abba-Zaba. Pay Day and Clark Bars. Chunkies. Giant jawbreakers that had different layers of colors.






Black Jack chewing gum, Chiclets, Dubble Bubble and Bazooka Bubble Gum. Not to mention candy cigarettes and cinnamon-flavored toothpicks. And bubble gum cards.

I remember when a little Mexican girl in our class accidentally swallowed a cinnamon toothpick and had to be rushed to the hospital. Our teacher Mrs. Butler immediately gave us a harrowing lecture about the dangers of cinnamon toothpicks.

Returning to the wax theme, I used to like those little cartons of tiny wax bottles that contained colored sugar liquid. They are still being manufactured under various names and variations.

The present infuriating restrictiveness of political correctness has inspired the ban of the once-popular wax six-shooters. They were pistol-shaped and (like the little wax bottles) were filled with a sweet colored liquid that you could drink.




I also recall the now obsolete and politically incorrect Nigger Babies. The startling name inspired me to do some research, but information is vague and very conflicting. They are mentioned in a 1945 issue of Confectionery & Ice Cream World, vol. 33, page 34.

Many people remember this candy but even the description varies. The original candy was supposedly made of licorice, but later the little baby-shaped candies were made of a caramel chocolate. I distinctly remember the chocolate-type ones.

My guess is that different candy companies manufactured similar black "baby" candies under various names at  different times - including Chocolate Babies and Tar Babies.



In the innocent age of my childhood the name wasn't considered offensive and we kids never thought of it as being racist. I actually thought the little babies were cute. Things are entirely different in the present era of intense racial awareness and extreme hypersensitivity. At any rate, the candy was never particularly popular.

While I'm on a roll, who could forget Pez? Let's face it, Pez candy was absolute crap but those dispensers were immensely appealing. They are still being manufactured and the old ones are collectibles.




Childhood trends come and go, but the intrigue of candy will always remain.

 

Note:
I originally posted this several years ago, and decided to rehash it for the Halloween season.
BTW - one of my favorite Halloween candies has long been the Mary Jane Peanut Butter kisses, wrapped in black and orange waxed paper.
They're nearly impossible to chew and can rip your crowns and fillings out - - but I still like them.

Cheers, Jon


 

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh, finding vintage Halloween stuff is NEVER a waste of time to me! I love both vintage Halloween and Christmas (including yes the sliver tree that also rotated! lol). I remember almost ALL of that fun candy. We trick-or-treated only at our relatives houses though, never strangers.

    My mom always decorated the house (entire house!) and she kept such good care of the (now vintage) decorations, and aboout a year ago she gave them all to me. GREAT memories indeed!

    Yup, I have decided that I will put my Halloween Tree up most likely this weekend! It makes me fee good and after Thanksgiving, I switch up the tree with Christmas & Yule ornaments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love anything vintage - especially holiday decorations. The old things seemed to have a lot more charm and imagination than the stuff they have nowadays. You're fortunate to have inherited your Mom's decorations.

      Delete
  2. OMG, these images have given me such a rush. I've no idea where they came from, but our little home was always filled with a variety of treats. My favorites were the wax whistles, little bottles of sugar water, Chicklets and Black Jack, too. Man, those were the days -- which makes present day Halloween seem tawdry by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The candy and other goodies that we had as kids was more unique and intriguing than the mundane stuff they have today. The Halloween season was a special and unforgettable event.
      I really did love those wax novelties.

      Delete
  3. I use to love the wax soda six shooters and the harmonica and the lips! There is a old timey candy store into in town here that still has many of these candies. I can remember every Friday when I used to stay with my grandmother, we go to the corner store her friend Hazel owned, and upon entry, Hazel always gave me a little brown bag and told me to fill it with what I wanted. I loved those time of the week.

    Last Halloween I gave out little boxes of Good and Plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an obsession with all those wax novelties (and I think I still do).
      You were fortunate to know a generous store-keeper like Hazel when you were a kid.
      I haven't seen Good and Plenty in awhile but I'm glad it still exists.

      Delete
  4. I can just barely remember those wax whistle harmonicas. the picture of it jarred my memory. I hadn't thought of those in years. It seems like I had one. I probably put it into my closet which had steps up to the attic and the heat in there most likely melted it. I do remember those little wax bottles of sugar liquid, I remember biting the top off and chewing that wax and drinking the 1/4 teaspoon of sugar syrup in there and spitting out the wax.

    I lived near the neighborhood confectionary store. Those were the only stores allowed to be open on Sundays back when The Blue laws were in effect in Missouri. Those laws kept all other stores from being open on Sundays. The little confectionary sold every kind of candy you can imagine, magazines, milk, bread, lunchmeat cut by the store owner, cigarettes, ice cream, soda,school supplies, even fireworks in season. All of us neighborhood kids were constantly in there spending our pennies, nickels and dimes. There were so many kids in that neighborhood back then (darn baby boomers) that we ran in packs of different ages.We went out in the morning, maybe came home for lunch, and then stayed out until just before the street lights came on. I got switched more than once for not making it home before the street lights came on.

    Before pajama parties we would go to that confectionary named "Your Store" and pick out our supplies of candies to have for the pajama party. Red licorice, Those little dot candies that stuck on paper, Pez, Sugar Babies,
    Milk duds, candy necklaces. We would stay up all night playing Barbies, Mystery Date, and Clue, and Operation. If it was around Halloween we would stay up all night watching scary movies Wolfman, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein while we ate our candies, making and eating Jiffy Pop popcorn (A Mom was still awake for that), and drinking the soda of our choice. Does anyone else remember Elephant Joke cards, and also Monster cards. They were like Baseball cards but had Elephant Jokes or Monsters on them. Worst candies of all for me were anything black licorice, or root beer flavored candies. Does everyone remember pretending to be sophisticated as they smoked their candy cigarettes with the powdered sugar "smoke". My cousin and I pretended to speak French when we smoked those candy cigarettes. We were such nerdy girls.

    Thanks for stirring up some fun memories, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories. You've managed to ignite my own memories - I remember lots of the things that you mentioned - - like the dot candies that were on paper, Jiffy Popcorn, monster cards, and Elephant jokes. I used to have an elephant joke book - and it might still be around somewhere.
      Those old confectionery stores were priceless.

      Delete
  5. Back when I was growing up, we would get either sharp metal or razor blades in our apples! (Never happened! Adults and Police DO lie to kids!) My dad loved the peanut butter kisses. ( chewy taffy things... no Hershey kisses. ) I treasured pretty much any mini candy bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the apples with razor blades hoax - it was rampant for a long time. There were even places where you could get your Halloween candy xrayed.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed seeing these sweet treats, Jon, and the candies today are so bland compared to many of these. I never had a Wowe-e gum whistle, but sure recall those mini bottles filled with sweet liquid. My favorite candies were Butterfingers and Babe Ruth, follower by 3 Musketeers and Snickers since I was and am still a chocaholic. You are SO right about those Mary Jane treats and I never ate those of even the hard ones with peanut butter filling because they would wreck havoc on fillings! I also have to give up my favorite caramel and cream filled candies for that reason (drat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The candy is somewhat bland and unimaginative nowadays, and chocolate seems to be the preferred ingredient. I absolutely love chocolate - but I miss the unique variety of the "old" candy. Every time I see the Mary Jane candy I'm tempted to buy it - even though I know it will destroy what's left of my teeth.
      (I saw it in Walmart....perhaps I'll live dangerously and buy it this year...)

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.