Saturday, December 4, 2021

THE CHRISTMAS DOG

I had just turned six that Christmas (my birthday is December 13th). Even though I had never made a list of Christmas wishes, that year I really wanted a dog. Since my parents were never exactly enthusiastic about maintaining a pet, I decided that a chihuahua would be a perfect choice. They were tiny, obedient, probably easy to care for. We casually talked about it, but I had no big hopes that my wish would materialize.

Imagine my complete astonishment when I looked under the tree on Christmas morning  and found an adorable little chihuahua curled up sleeping in a basket! I was so overjoyed that I picked up the precious dog and ran into my parent's bedroom to show them.


Jingles and me on Christmas morning


 

I named the dog Jingles (inspired by the song Jingle Bellsand spent the day playing with him. 

Unfortunately, happiness never (and I mean never) prevailed for very long in our family. That night, Jingles accidentally had a bowel movement under the Christmas tree. He was an untrained puppy, in a new home. Such unpleasant mishaps should be expected.

My father immediately went into a rage. He grabbed the dog and beat it mercilessly.  This insane outburst was nothing new and certainly nothing unusual.  

Dad was never able to handle any situation rationally or in an adult manner. His immediate reaction was always a burst of unbridled physical violence. Any incident - no matter how trivial or insignificant - could set him off.  He'd grab my mother or me and beat us relentlessly, without  restraint and with no subsequent guilt. I could very easily relate hundreds of similar incidents that involved my father's temper and physical violence throughout my childhood - including one which resulted in an ugly court case that happened when we first moved to California.

Of course, we couldn't keep Jingles the chihuahua. If I remember correctly, we only had him for one or two days.

Fortunately - perhaps miraculously - there was a positive end to this dire tale. There was a middle-aged man who lived across the street from us named Jack. He lived alone and wanted a pet. When he saw Jingles, he fell in love with the dog and took him immediately.

Jack built a special bed for Jingles, gave him all kinds of toys, and taught him to do impressive tricks. I remember that he taught the dog how to kneel by his little bed and put his paws together in prayer before he went to sleep!  Jingles was showered with attention and couldn't have had a better home.

My sixth Christmas was ruined by the dog incident. My fifth Christmas had been ruined by the train incident (see my previous blog post Tale of a Christmas Train).

At that time in my childhood I was never angry, bitter....or surprised. Disappointment, violence, unhappiness, and uncertainty were all a very normal part of my existence. 

Perhaps, perhaps that is why I became a pessimistic adult. I always expect the worst and have always had a difficult time accepting any semblance of happiness. It's just a fleeting theory. Heck, what do I know? I'm not Freud.

Truth to tell, the dog incident is only a very minor footnote in my chaotic existence. There were future Christmas horror stories involving my father that are almost too incredible to comprehend.

 

14 comments:

  1. Jon, you must have HAD to be VERY strong to endure that kind of abuse all those years. IMO, your father was a rotten SOB and it is simply APPAULING what he put you through! I am so sorry this happened to you.

    I am glad that the dog ended up ALIVE after that episode and had a good home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I was really strong, or if I was merely an emotional zombie - trying to obliterate all the unpleasantness. By the time I was in my late teens, I was completely emotionally and physically destroyed. It took a long time for me to start functioning with some semblance of normalcy.
      I'm really glad that the chihuahua incident had a happy ending.

      Delete
  2. I had tears running down my cheeks for you and little Jingles as I read this. It was much safer for Jingles that he found a home with your neighbor,who sounds like a perfect match for Jingles, plus I imagine you got to visit Jingles once in a while that way. I can't imagine how heartbreaking and frightening it must have been for you to see your Dad treat your dog like that.

    It's too bad that there wasn't someone there who could have seen what he was doing and grabbed him and gave him a good ass kicking, which he deserved. I probably shouldn't say that because it sounds so harsh and rude, but the thought of him hurting the dog and ruining your Christmas like that really set me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admittedly got upset when I was writing this post and saw the old photo of Jingles. It sounds strange, but my father's insane behavior was so frequent that it was a "normal" part of my existence. I always expected the worst....and the worst would inevitably happen.

      I only saw Jingles a few times after our neighbor took him, because we moved to California. It was really a blessing that the dog got such a loving home.

      Delete
  3. When people who, like me, had a happy childhood, stories like these make us realize how lucky we had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very fortunate to have had a happy childhood, Donna. Children should never be subjected to all the chaos that I went through.

      Delete
  4. What a heartbreak! On the flip side, I confess to being overjoyed that Jingles and Jack found one another.
    If you don't mind me asking, have you considered adopting another dog -- perhaps a rescue? Check this out! "PAWS is looking for people over 65 who live independently and would like the companionship of a pet but whose finances won’t stretch to pet ownership. A healthy, older dog or cat could join your home as a permanent foster. PAWS would retain ownership and pay for food, litter and vet visits. This arrangement is a “win-win” for cats not likely to be adopted due to their age and for seniors who want to enjoy the companionship of a pet."

    ... Not saying you're a 'senior' (lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of PAWS but it sounds like a very good and rational idea. There are no animal shelters around this rural area, but there is some sort of an adopt-a-pet organization in town. I thought about getting a dog when I first moved here, but right now the two cats are MORE than enough to keep me busy.....I would consider adopting an older cat sometime in the future (my cat Kitzee is sixteen and probably won't be around much longer).

      I won't reveal if I'm a senior (*smile*) - but I will admit that I feel like I'm 150 years old.

      Delete
  5. What a shame, Jon, that what was intended to be a wonderful Christmas surprise ended up in heartbreak for you. Your father was certainly a mean-spirited, nasty you-know-what as you well know and many of your blogger friends are realizing through your posts. I was relieved to read that Jingles did get a good home with a kind-hearted neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially hesitant to post this, because it's depressing - but at least it had a happy ending. As I said in my post, this unpleasant incident was only a minor footnote compared to other things that my father did. His violence was so extreme and happened so often, that it's difficult to comprehend.

      Delete
  6. That was a perfect name for the dog too. Thankfully he found a home and love, otherwise, your father might have killed the poor thing. My father was never near that bad, but when I was older had he even had the idea of trying to come after me, he'd been knocked on his ass. I do remember once thinking of knocking him down a flight of steps. Had I been in your shoes, I probably would be in jail from killing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one incident when I got my father's gun and sneaked into his bedroom late at night. I planned to kill him while he slept, but I lost my nerve and didn't go through with it (I mentioned this in some previous blog posts).

      Delete
  7. I cannot even begin to imagine the childhood you had. I am so thankful we, there were 7 of us kids and mom and dad, and both sets of grandparents lived in our yard, but we had a wonderful childhood. Heck, I don't even remember ever hearing mom and dad argue or disagree. We never were spanked, we had to sit on a time out chair. I thank God for the upbringing I had when I read your horror stories of growing up.
    I am so glad your Jingles ended up in a happy, loving home rather than the beatings that would have continued for him. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine what a normal childhood would have been like. You were very fortunate, Wendy. To make matters worse, I didn't have any siblings. Being an only child made things more difficult, because I was completely immersed in the constant chaos.

      It isn't easy for me to write blog posts about the horrors I went through, yet I often have an urge to reveal them. And I haven't even scratched the surface....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.