Thursday, December 2, 2021

TALE OF A CHRISTMAS TRAIN



If I wasn't the most gullible child who ever existed, I certainly ranked in the top ten. I wholeheartedly believed everything that I was told. If my parents didn't finally reveal that there wasn't any Santa Claus (when I was six), I would still believe in him today.

The above photo was taken when I just turned three. I looked older because I was unusually tall.

I have two Christmas tales to tell, but I'll save the second for another post. I should probably warn you that my  Christmas tales are neither particularly uplifting nor happy - but that was a normal aspect of my childhood. 
Ancient memories are crowding my mind at this sentimental time of year....


When I was five years old, I received an elaborate train set for Christmas. It was one of the most magnificent things I'd ever seen.

The train tracks were mounted on a very large platform, with an entire village - including a train station, church, school, shops, houses, etc. - all with lighted windows. There were tiny people and animals, electric lamp posts, even advertisement signs and telegraph wires. A huge snow-covered mountain was in the center, with a tunnel where the train went through.

The Gilbert train was equipped with electric lights, a whistle, and real smoke coming from the engine (liquid smoke from a bottle was utilized).

I was completely fascinated and could hardly believe Santa would present me with anything so fantastic.

What I didn't realize was how incredibly big the village was. We lived in a small place and the train set covered the entire floor.

The day after Christmas I leaped out of bed and ran into the living room to see my train village.
Imagine my shock when I discovered it was gone! Nothing was left but the train in a box and a few of the tracks.

I was curtly told that the train village was too big and Santa had to take it back.

I didn't cry or put up a fuss. At that early age I was docile and compliant. I was extremely disappointed, but Santa had to do what he had to do......  

The train was quickly put away and I didn't see it again until I was twelve. My father took it out, set it up, and we (mostly he) messed around with it for a few days. Then he put it away again (deciding that it was too much trouble to maintain and annoyingly in the way).

So, I've kept the train in mint condition for over fifty years - in the same box that it came in at Christmas when I was five years old.

After I moved to Tennessee, I put the boxed train on a top shelf in my bedroom closet and nearly forgot about it.

Yesterday, ancient Christmas memories inspired me to look at the train again. When I retrieved it from the closet, I was horrified to see that mice had gotten into it and ripped the top of the vintage box to shreds. They even chewed the cellophane on the little boxes that the train cars are stored in.

My move to Tennessee has resulted in many disasters. The movers "lost" or stole an enormous amount of my most cherished possessions.
And most of the things that I still have were destroyed by dampness and mice.

I've been told (by well-meaning people) not to worry so much about "mere" possessions......
.....but I'm a sentimentalist, and possessions are all I have left....

Anyway, today I took a few photos of what's left of the train.




 The top of the box was chewed by mice


This is what happened to the lid when I opened the box.....I'll eventually try to tape it together.





The train is heavy and made of metal - - not like the plastic stuff they make nowadays.



Jon

(originally posted in 2020)

 

15 comments:

  1. Goodness that looks just like the one we grew up with. Luckily, we had an unfinished basement where adults rarely ventured and Dad set it up and a HUGE sheet of Plywood. I only remember the train... no village. Possibly we got the "Bargain" version because Dad was never one to buy the "Finest money could buy" But we had fun with it for years... until it eventually shorted out and failed to work. The neighbor kids and cousins also did a number on the tracks over the years. I was basically junk after we go through with it. But we certainly had a good time when it actually worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately my father was always in complete control of my toys. He'd either pack them away or throw them away - whatever suited his whim. I don't know why the heck he ever bought that huge train village, when he knew it would be too big.

      Delete
  2. Awww, Jon weren't you just cute as a little button! Love the pic!

    What a shame that the mice chewed up your boxes. I am much like you in that I am sentimental and I would much rather brake, lose or have destroyed something I bought myself than a thoughtful, meaningful gift from a loved one or friend. I totally get it.

    And I love the Pennsylvania and Reading trains - cooooolll!! They keep talking about bringing back our Reading Railroad, but I seriously DOUBT they ever actually will.

    Thank you for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see those old photos of myself, it seems like a million years ago - yet I remember everything so clearly.
      Mice are EXTREMELY destructive. It's really a shame that they ruined the train box, which was in perfect shape for 50 years.

      I've always been a sentimentalist. Strangely enough, I know so many people who have no sentimental feelings whatsoever.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness they can't ever chew metal cars!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If those cars were plastic, I'll bet the mice would have chewed them apart.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! They will chew up plastic!!

      Delete
  4. That is such a cute picture of you and Santa.

    That must have made you so sad to have had your amazing train set disappeared from you. I'm glad you still have it, even though the mice have damaged some of the original packaging. Maybe it would be fun to set it up for Christmas this year. Your kitties would probably enjoy stalking it. I would have loved to have had a train set when I was a young girl, but my friends (or their brothers) in the neighborhood had them set up down in their basement and we all had fun playing with them. After a while the boys got tired of playing trains and it would evolve into speeding the trains up and trying to make them jump the tracks. That got boring to their sister and I and we would go play with our Barbies, dolls, or play games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That train ran on some sort of electric utility box. I think I still have it somewhere. It would be interesting to know if it still works after all these years. It's a shame that I never had a chance to play with that train when I was a kid. My father's dominating force always seemed to ruin everything.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to show these to Tom! Damanged or not, I wonder if these aren't worth a pretty penny to a collector. (I'd a SIL who made a good living hunting for and re-selling old metal toys.) Tom gave most of his train cars to the grandson -- together with an elaborate hand-tooled track system he'd made. Unfortunately, neither the son or grandson seemed to have much interest. Not the first time Tom's heart's been stepped on, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that train would be worth something - - it's a shame that the mice ruined the box, which was in perfect condition after all those years.

      It seems that adults have more appreciation for these things than the kids do nowadays - unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. I love Santa and kids' pictures!
    My heart breaks for the little boy you were and all you went through as a child growing up. WHO would be so mean to tell a little one that Santa took his toy back? Shame on your parents!
    But, I remember my brothers having a train set similar but never with a village. We all had a blast with it and there were 7 of us kids. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that time my father was king of the roost and was solely responsible for taking away the train village. He never had any remorseful feelings about anything that he did. As a child, I think I was very used to disappointments and unpleasantness...

      Delete
  7. As much as I enjoyed seeing the photo of you and Santa, Jon, I was heartbroken to read about the disappearance of your Christmas village you received. And, then there was the damage those darn mice did to the train set boxes. Seems like you can't catch many breaks, my friend. I know it may be somewhat difficult to recall some of these Christmas disappointments, but thank you for sharing them here. You really are a kind-hearted man and not at all like you father, who was quite despicable, sorry no kind way to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was definitely disappointed as a child when the Christmas village disappeared, but I was used to such things. What REALLY outraged me was when I discovered that the vintage train box had been ripped apart by mice - after I kept it in perfect condition for fifty years.

    Calling my father "despicable" is quite kind.....it would be more apt to call him an insane S.O.B.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.