Monday, February 14, 2022

VALENTINE'S DAY




Two of my Valentine videos, intended to brighten your day and enchant you....
(am I being sarcastic?)

My latest video is a tribute to Helen Kane (1904 - 1966). She is singing I Wanna Be Loved by You, from the 1928 musical Good Boy.

In 1932 Kane filed a lawsuit against Max Fleischer and Paramount Studios, claiming that the cartoon character Betty Boop was a caricature of her voice and appearance.

There was no jury at the trial, and the biased judge dismissed the case for lack of evidence. Years later cartoonist Grim Natwick  admitted that he created Betty Boop after seeing a photo of Helen Kane.

Boo-boop-a-doop.

 

I made this video last year. I was never a Sinatra fan, but thought it's worth a rehash.

Happy Valentine's Day!


Videos are best viewed full screen

9 comments:

  1. Very nice Jon! I didn't know this story. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful, thanks for sharing them Jon! HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these videos and the music! Every time I hear the song, "I Wanna Be Loved By You" I can not help but to think about Ginger (Tina Louise) singing it on that episode of "Gilligan's Isle."

    Aww, I rather enjoyed "Old Blue Eyes" singing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed these, Jon! I didn't know that about Helen Kane. But I happened to be watching a Betty Boop cartoon yesterday ("Minnie the Moocher") and Betty sounded just like this recording of Helen Kane - let alone looking like her. :D I know you'll be feeling sad, and I'm sad for you, but I hope you have a good Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much a fan of Bety Boop, but yes. It sounds as if Ms. Kane was royally you-know-what. I'm loving youre treatment of Sintra's Funny Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what you wrote in this post, Jon, it does seem like Helen Kane was exploited and not in such a good way. I never really liked the Betty Boop cartoon character. Sinatra was a pleasure to listen to again. I hope you broken 💔will mend in time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally understand why she sued them and she should have won! Seems so obvious.

    Sinatra was the one the women swooned over before Elvis. Elvis was just a little before my time...but I was just the right young teenage girl for the Beatles. My Mom liked Sinatra, Perry Como, etc--so I did hear them at home on records.

    Never been much of a Valentine's Day girl. I thought how you were treated the rest of the year was what mattered. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is a Dead ringer for Betty Boop. I remember the song well. First time I heard funny little valentine was from the movie the Fabulous Baker Boys. Michele Pheiffer sings it. I like hers a little bit better than Franks. But it is still a great song.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.