Thursday, April 14, 2022

MAGYAR HUSVET

 On a rain-drenched afternoon, ensnared in the gloomy embrace of foul weather, I'm thinking of distant times:
of my childhood, my parents, my two Hungarian grandmothers. I'm thinking of gentle, sunny springs and intriguingly festive Easters. I'm remembering delightful meals, unique food that seems to have vanished with the curse of time.

I've compiled a haphazard array of images that resurrect the essence of distant Hungarian Easters. 

Magyar husvet


Vintage Hungarian Easter card

Easter meals always consisted of traditional meats - ham, lamb, roasts, sometimes sausage.
Sonka, barany, sut, kolbasz.

(my Hungarian is very "rusty", but I'll persevere with the words I remember).
Meals were enhanced with plenty of eggs, most often deviled eggs, potato pancakes, egg cheese, vegetables, horseradish, and a wide variety of breads.
Braided bread, sweet bread, wreath cakes, and of course Easter egg bread.

Why is horseradish presented at the Easter table? Because, like onions, it produces - and is symbolic of - tears.

Husveti sonka, ordogi tojas, retek
Easter ham, deviled eggs, radishes


 
 
egg cheese, tojassajt
 
 I don't recall how my grandmothers made egg cheese, but the ingredients are very simple - mainly eggs and milk.

I found several varied recipes on the Internet.
One used a cup of sugar. Another preferred to sweeten it with a small amount of honey. One recipe required baking the cheese in the oven, while another specified no baking at all.
The final result is a mild concoction, sort of like parmesan - but it can be made sweet or savory.

Palacsinta and burgonya palacsinta are popular at Easter and all-year 'round. Pancakes rolled thin like a crepe, and potato pancakes. 


palacsinta (left) and burgonya palacsinta

 My mother made great potato pancakes, and my father made perfect palacsinta - rolled very thin.
Potato pancakes were always served with sour cream. The palacsinta was filled with a sweetened combination of cottage cheese and sour cream, and topped with jam or fresh fruit.

Kenyer
Easter breads






Edes kenyer, sweet bread       Fonott kenyer, braided bread

Edesseg
Sweets

Poppy and walnut torta     Apricot kolaches
 

Suti
Cookies


Gorgeous Hungarian Easter cookies




Mezeskalacs
Gingerbread


Easter eggs 




 


10 comments:

  1. Great post, Jon! I always love learning new things, most especially how other traditions other than my PA Dutch family celebrate the holidays. O-M-G, the food looks sooo delicious it makes me hungry just looking at it! And those BEAUTIFUL cookies - WOW!!

    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post, Kim. I wanted to list a lot more food and information, but decided that it was long enough. Those decorated cookies are too beautiful to eat!

      Delete
  2. Those cookies! The gingerbread! Each better than the next. Honestly, I'm blown away by those painted eggs. My own German and Norwegian roots pale in comparison.
    'Pretty sure my Polish husband will recognize some of these foodstuffs; I can't wait to share this with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies and gingerbread are truly amazing. I had a lot more pictures to share, but didn't want the post to get tediously long. I'm sure that the Hungarian traditions are similar to Polish ones.

      Delete
  3. I loved seeing all the amazing foods you showed us. The decorated eggs and cookies were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intricate work put into the cookies and eggs is truly amazing. I have never seen such spectacular cookies and gingerbread! Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. Those cookies and the eggs are works of art! How could one eat a cookie like that?!
    Everything looks delicious. Good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely be hesitant to eat such beautiful cookies and gingerbread. They're definitely works of art.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Jon, for sharing the memories through words and photos. Your memories were of happy holiday celebrations with family and food. Many of us can also remember good times of our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many fond memories, but it's hard to believe that most of my relatives are now deceased. Only my cousins are left.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.