Sunday, May 15, 2022

ALL ABOUT BOSCO


 

What's this? Another post about cats??
Relax, comrades. It's better than hearing about my problems. This is a (sort of) extension of my previous post, Too Many Cats.

When I was living in Texas and taking care of about thirty (yes, thirty) stray cats, there were two kittens (from different litters) who were extremely sick and near death. 

I kept the kittens in the house and did my best to nurse them back to health. Eventually, I decided to adopt them.

Bosco and Scruffy were born only two weeks apart and were related. They both had the same father but different mothers.
Despite being very sick kittens, they survived into adulthood.

Unfortunately, Scruffy only lived four years and died of a respiratory infection.

Bosco celebrated a birthday last month and is now eight years old. He has an enormous amount of respiratory and allergy problems but is much stronger and resilient than Scruffy was.

When Bosco was a kitten, he was so tiny and frail that he looked like an undernourished chihuahua. I never thought he'd survive. Today, he's huge, robust, and heavy - despite ongoing health issues.

I originally named him Rosco, but somehow Bosco sounded more appropriate. My choice of names had nothing to do with the popular chocolate drink.

Bosco and Scruffy were inseparable. They ate, played, and slept together. Bosco was noticeably upset when Scruffy died.

My eldest cat Kitzee (who recently died at age sixteen) politely tolerated Bosco and Scruffy, but was never exactly thrilled with them.

Now that Bosco is my only surviving cat, he's become very affectionate and has a close attachment to me. I considered getting another cat to keep him company - but with my present health and financial woes, I'd rather not risk it. Perhaps....in the not-so-distant future.....

Feline photos - to thrill you!


This is Scruffy, whom I miss immensely. I originally named her Scruffy because I thought she was a boy. It wasn't until I moved to Tennessee when my cousin Nancy informed me that Scruffy was a girl.
Heck, what do I know? I'm completely innocent when it comes to sexual identification.

Bosco, when he was a scrawny kitten in Texas.
 

 


Bosco here in Tennessee. Sometimes his eyes are green, other times they're yellow.
Mysterious and strange.....



This is my favorite photo of Bosco. It was taken late one night when there was an extremely bright full moon. He's sitting next to a beautiful Moroccan vase that I bought long ago for my parents.
Ironically, the very next day, Bosco made a flying leap over the table and the vase smashed to pieces.

There have been occasional times when I've considered killing cats, but I'm much too sweet and passive. And forgiving.

                                             Cheers, Jon


 

7 comments:

  1. A cat with a story. Now we know boscos sory. As I write this, Haru is bashing my fingers. Sorry for the Typos... also, I have been enjoying some beer. Beer and cats, what coule be better.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing eyes Bosco has! I really like the picture picture of Bosco next to the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, I sincerely THANK you for sharing Bosco and Scruffy's stories. It is so funny that you mentioned the fact that you thought Scruffy was a boy. My husband and I have shared our lives with cats our entire life and when Butterscotch came to us as a stray, he was rather small for a male, but I told my husband that "this cat is a male". My husband said, "Nah, "she" is much too small to be a boy". So, when we made the vet appointment for "her" check-up, I gave them the name of Buttercup. Well, the first thing the vet told us while examining him was, "Well, to begin with, SHE is a HE!" LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy learning about their histories. I hope Bosco has a long life ahead of him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last picture looks like it belongs in an art gallery! I love that you've chosen to feature Bosco today; it warms my heart to hear he's bonding with you. Keep well, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never enough posts about your cats Jon not pictures of the woods where you live. By the way, I think it’s time to go to your local animal shelter and rescue a senior cat or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely a softie, Jon, when it comes to talking about your beloved pets. Bosco is very fortunate to have found you and vice versa I am sure. Maybe one day, you will add another family member and thankfully felines are more self sufficient than canines.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.