Thursday, May 12, 2022

TOO MANY CATS

  


 

 I removed this post a few weeks ago because I thought it was too long and tedious. After a slight edit, I'll try again.

In 2010 I was living in a tiny, isolated one-horse town on the high plains of West Texas -- about fifty miles from Lubbock.

That year was one of the worst in my entire life. My mother's death in December, 2009 induced a deep psychological trauma from which I never fully recovered. 

On top of dealing with this devastating loss,  I was in debt with massive medical bills and numerous other things. I lost my online job and there was absolutely no work available in the impoverished town where I existed. 

I put my house up for sale, but it was impossible to sell. Nobody wanted to buy anything in that quasi-ghost town. I felt lucky if the realtors showed my house once every four or five months.

As if all this wasn't enough, I suddenly became the victim of identity theft. A hacker (located in Europe) wiped out my savings account. I'll spare the horrendous details. 

Penniless and destitute, I was forced to sell everything I could think of - - paintings, antiques, furniture, dishes, costly antique books and photographs, heirloom jewelry, all of my valuable coin and stamp collections - even clothing. I sold many things online, and also drove to Lubbock to visit every antique store and junk shop in the city.

I got a pittance for my efforts.
I remember selling a very large original photograph of Queen Victoria and her children for $100. It was worth several thousand dollars..

"Desperation" is the most vile word in the English language. 

 

So what about the cats?
Trust me. I'm getting there.

At that time, my neighbor was an elderly lady in her 80s. She was very nice but it was difficult to communicate because she was going deaf and losing her memory.

I was absolutely stunned when I heard that she sold her house and was moving to a different city to live with her son. I later found out that her house sold quickly because it was purchased by a wealthy family friend, who planned to turn it into a rental house.

The elderly lady was a cat lover and had at least six cats that I knew of. Imagine my surprise (to put it mildly) when I discovered that she left all her cats behind when she moved!

The cats quickly migrated to my yard. Since they were starving, I fed them - - not realizing the upcoming nightmare I was to endure.

Soon, other stray cats invaded my yard for the food.
To abbreviate an infinitely long story, the cats began to multiply faster than bunnies. I frequently found new litters. In time, I had nearly thirty cats residing in my yard.
Every morning when I got up, ALL the cats would be waiting by the back door - demanding food.

 

One of the many litters, with Mama Cat looking on

 

I kept feeding them daily, of course, but was admittedly at a complete loss wondering what to do.

There was one tiny place in town that was called an "animal shelter". It was a dilapidated shack run by one man. The place had been cited for violations on numerous occasions.

I reluctantly went there, out of desperation, and asked about my brood of cats.

I was stunned beyond redemption when the man curtly told me "Oh, we only take dogs. If I get any cats, I kill them."

There's was no way in hell I would ever let this inhumane bastard kill a cat.

The nearest legitimate shelters were far away in Lubbock. I was advised (by well-meaning people) to have the cats spayed and neutered - but that was an impossibility. I had absolutely no money - - and I couldn't imagine cramming thirty cats into my pickup truck for a fifty mile drive.

Words cannot express the absolute agony I went through during the endless cat crisis. I very often only had enough money to buy cat food - - so I frequently skipped meals for myself. Believe it or not, there were many days when I didn't eat at all.



The winters on the high TX plains are brutally cold. I built shelters for the cats to stay in, but they still often got sick. They all had eye infections, so I had to keep buying eye drops to treat their eyes.

Some of the kittens from new litters were very sick. I would take them in the house at night and stay up with them - feeding them with an eyedropper and keeping them warm.

Sometimes wild animals would get into my yard and kill cats. I had to bury at least five of them - mostly kittens.

I became completely intent on finding homes for the cats - and it was far from easy. I placed advertisements online and in every newspaper I could think of - - with VERY few results.I eventually met a woman who used to work at an animal shelter. She graciously helped me find homes for many of the cats.

When my house was FINALLY sold, there were still a few cats in my yard. Fortunately, the people who bought my house were cat lovers, so the remaining strays were in good hands.


This was a long post, and I haven't even scratched the surface about the intense problems I had during that agonizing time. Dealing with those poor helpless cats was completely heartbreaking.

Note:
At that time, I only had one cat of my own - Kitzee. She was exclusively an indoor cat, and I kept her away from my vast brood of outdoor strays.
I also "adopted" two of the sickest kittens from the litters and kept them indoors - Bosco and Scruffy - but that's another story for another time. It took awhile for Kitzee to get used to them.

I had lots of photos of the stray Texas cats, but unfortunately most of them are on my OLD desktop computer, which is no longer working.
I found a few photos in my current files, which I've posted here.


This is one of the stray cats (left) looking in the window at my cat Kitzee (right).
Ironically, this particular stray cat was Bosco's mother.


I generally don't make endorsements of any kind, but I'm passionate about this:

Please get all cats and dogs spayed and neutered! It's the most humane thing to do.

14 comments:

  1. This is such a heart-warming post Jon. You are a guardian angel honestly! I know that I would have done the very same in your situation.

    I am glad that you decided to post this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like this post, Kim. I still get extremely upset when I think of all the homeless and helpless kitties (and dogs) there are, I'm glad I was able to help these precious fur babies.

      Delete
  2. You have a kind heart Jon, and I completely agree with having animals spayed and neutured, not only for population control, but for the animal's own health. I worked for a veterinarian some thirty odd years, and saw many problems that could have been avoided if only the animals were fixed. My last working years were in a spay and neuter clinic, from pets to feral animals, it was rewarding to know that thousand of unwanted pregnancies were avoided. Thank you for helping those beautiful animals.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was astonished at how quickly cats can multiply - - and it was beyond heartbreaking to see them helpless and homeless. It still upsets me to think about it, but I'm glad I found homes for most of them. Spaying and neutering is an absolute must.

      Delete
  3. Greatest PSA ever! I think this was about the same time I first started following your blog. Both then and now, I'm enormously touched by your tender heart. Truth be told, I probably care more for animals than my fellow humans.
    Sadly, people don't appreciate -- or don't want to pay -- for treasures such as yours. It's a crying shame what stuff I see kicked to the curb at estate sales and the like. I've little of value, but decided to use what I can and enjoy them as long as I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't exactly remember when you first started following my blog, but I knew it was during my Texas adventures. I share your sentiment about caring for animals more than people. I still get upset when thinking about all those homeless kitties.

      Anyone who thinks they can sell their treasures for big money will be grossly disappointed. The so-called "dealers" will never give you what the item is worth. I've often heard "It's not worth much, but I'll give you twenty bucks for it...."
      I've made many HUGE HUGE mistakes when selling things.
      And very few people have any sentimentality nowadays. None of my relatives care about antiques or family heirlooms.

      Delete
  4. Good for you Jon! Any man who loves cats has to be a decent person deep inside. ( I would say that to dog lovers too, but dogs are easy to love. cats take time to warm up.) 2008 hit us equally as hard. We sold everything to move to Iowa to get a job. ( no jobs in Michigan at the time....2008-2010) By the way, whenever anyone says they sold "everything they own" I always feel like I can up the ante. We did not have a house or any assets to mention to count on. At the end of three weeks of Garage sales, Ebay sales, and ads in the paper... Our grand total sum was around $1500.00 buck! Talk about demoralizing! And we had three cats and two Subarus to drag what remained of our household (A few boxes of clothes, a disassembled bed mattress and a chair I think) to Iowa. Dark times. We ended up leaving Bear ( the neighborhood cat that adopted us) because we could not afford 4 cats nor had room for him anyway. It is sad when the stray cats around your apartment die because you can't feed or help them any more than you already are. Thank goodness I have managed to get Haru and Leo neutered before they became semi indoor cats.
    I feel your pain selling things you KNOW are more valuable than the price you are getting. And end up being grateful for the $$ that you manage to get in the end. I sold all my guns, fishing gear, army gear, trophy moose antlers, Taxedermy... and on and on... But we never once thought about leaving the cats. ( Bear was not our cat...so he did not count.) Hiro is the last of those three cats from Michigan. He will be our last "item" from Michigan that remains in the family. Everything else has been lost, tossed, or replaced since 2010. Including those two Subarus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can fully sympathize with your unfortunate plight - but I'm glad you were able to keep your cats. I never previously experienced acute desperation before, and it's horrifying to know how easy it is to lose everything. I had about five dollars left in my bank account and I was literally searching for pennies to stay alive.
      I hope your life has improved since the terrible times - - thanks so much for sharing your experience. Jon

      Delete
  5. I read this the first time but am often too tired to answer right away and the post disappeared. Glad you re-posted it! The cats were lucky you were there for them. Totally agree people should be better cat owners--or dog--or any kind of pet owners. I was often poor enough that I went without food so that pets could eat--and my son. Priorities. Love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really shocked when the elderly lady next door left all her cats behind when she moved. It was such a thoughtless thing to do.
      It is a horrifying and helpless feeling when you don't have enough money for food. It must be far worse when you have children to worry about.

      Delete
  6. Although you can come off as a rough & tough guy, Jon, you are indeed a kind person to care for those abandoned cats and to work hard to find homes for as many as possible. As a former cat owner and one who still prefers felines to canines, thank you for caring. As for selling valuables for little money, sadly that is always the case it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like dogs, but I'm definitely a cat person. They are much more suited to my personality. Everyone on my mother's side of the family liked cats.
      My ordeal with all those stray cats in Texas was an overwhelming nightmare. I absolutely can't tolerate seeing animals suffer.

      Delete
  7. Your experience has a familiar ring, Jon. Our census designation here is the Florin-Vineyard area --yeah, rural. Happy and stable, but when covid hit, dear friends and neighbors died. We could hear leathery wings of developers overhead. I surrendered my barn to cat shelter. Haven't encountered a rat or mouse on the property since. Remaining rodents were squirrels who charmingly scolded me from nut tree tops. But then the raccoons came, ate kittens, wuffed and growled at me at night and demonstrated astonishing skills at prying off steel foundation vents and redesigning my plumbing. I'm old and carry a cane at night, for stability and for whacking raccoon-asses. They never return. Cats, now, are a different proposition: we called ASPCA . They spayed and neutered (and vaccinated) the many cats we referred to them --for free!-- and returned them to our area as "Community Cats", identifiable by a clipped right ear. They still hunt rodents, love us dearly and bed down in the barn. Only 7 or 8 of them now, but happy out of the rat race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A barn is a perfect shelter for strays - - I wish I would have had one in Texas. It's also very fortunate that your brood of felines were spayed and neutered for free. I don't know if that resource was available in Texas (or in my area of TX).
      Raccoons can be EXTREMELY destructive and intimidating (I know from bitter experience). 'Possums are also destructive, but more passive. The agony of living in the wilderness never ceases....
      I hope you and Norma are doing well and hanging in there. Take care....and good luck in your battle with the raccoons!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.