Sunday, August 14, 2022

MORE FROM MY GALLERY

This is a continuation of my previous post, in which I inflicted you with paintings from my private art collection.
Here are some more - -




 

An Alpine scene by Bachmann.
When I was living in Texas, I had this painting hanging over my bed. One night when I was sound asleep, it fell off the wall and hit me directly on the head. I don't know if it was an act of God or a ploy of Satan - - but it was a rude awakening and hurt like....... hell.



This is a rarity and one of my favorites - -
a superb pencil drawing entitled The Betrothal by the French artist Adrien Moreau (1843 - 1906). 
It is an original illustration for the book Quest of the Absolute by Honore de Balzac.

I don't remember what I initially paid for this, but it's undoubtedly worth a lot more now.



Two King Charles spaniels with a feathered hat. This delightful painting is by a German artist, circa 1885.
It's inspired by a painting by English artist Edwin Landseer (1802 - 1873).
The painting is in beautiful condition for an antique - it's hanging in my living room.
 





I purchased this painting solely because I liked the colors - - a sort of amber, autumnal tint.

My cat Bosco doesn't seem to have an interest in art.



Two original watercolors by the British artist John Sell Cotman (1782 - 1842).





A rather whimsical Italian painting of a boy smoking, circa 1885.


This is a painting of Mount Baldy (California) by an amature artist, dated 1870. I was intrigued by this because when my parents first moved to Southern California, we lived in the foothill of the mountains near Mount Baldy.


I can never resist cats. This painting is probably from the 1950s.
That's my cat Kitzee (sitting on the piano) who is now deceased. I miss her immensely.



This painting is hanging above one of my pianos (notice it on the above photo). It's a landscape from Vienna, circa 1905.
I was intrigued by the mountains in the background.


This painting of a 1920s auto is by the contemporary artist H. Hargrove. He was born in Italy in 1941 (his real name is Nicolo Sturiano). He was originally a wine merchant but began painting when he moved to America. His paintings of Americana are immensely popular.
I always wanted to have one of his paintings in my collection - - I purchased this at an auction.


A haunting moon-drenched night in Imperial Russia. The painting is old (1867) and somewhat faded - - but I couldn't resist.



What's this - - another cat? This painting is so old (around 1840) that the back of it is in need of major repair and I can't hang it.

Is this finally the end???
I've just done two blog posts "showcasing" my humble art collection - - and I hardly scratched the surface. I have enough art to open a museum.

Thanks for taking a look.          Jon

16 comments:

  1. No ifs ands or buts! If I was ridiculously wealthy and could arrange for a private jet, I'd live the rest of my life in that (first) home. The Italian boy is so endearing; he reminds me of a young Peter Falk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind living in the isolated Alps. I think I'd move up there and be your neighbor. You're right - - the Italian kid does resemble Peter Falk.

      Delete
    2. Ya, I forget to say the private jet is only for transporting in those few friends and family members I care to see.

      Delete
  2. I love antique paintings of cats and dogs. Somehow they show the personalities of the animals more often than modern paintings do. I like the cat in the final painting so much, with her fur all fizzed out. When our Persian cat got to be around 16 years old he would get a wild look in his eyes and stalk me to bite the heck out of me, I didn't trust him much after one incident of that, so he never got to sit on my lap again. He passed away just short of 17 years, quietly, in his favorite place, after dinner on the warm concrete sidewalk in our front yard. It was so strange to see him so perfectly still, with a sweet calm look on his face. I think he may have had some sort of dementia in that final year when the out of the blue mean behavior started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The antique paintings of dogs and cats do indeed have a lot of character.
      It's always heartbreaking to loose a beloved pet that you'd had for many years. Your sixteen-year-old Persian cat seemed to have died very similar to the way my cat Kitzee did.
      Kitzee was also sixteen (nearly 17). She seemed slightly confused during her final week and then refused to eat. She died very suddenly and quietly. I was thankful that she didn't suffer.

      Delete
  3. I am a sucker for animal paintings. Went to Canterbury and the local museum there, a wonderful place, has a room full of animal art of various styles. I think my favourite of your lovely collection is the one of Kitzee and the other cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antique animal paintings have always fascinated me - - especially cats, dogs, and horses. I recently found that photo of Kitzee on the piano in my files. I had nearly forgotten about it.

      Delete
  4. You have an intriguing picture of a gateway behind Kitzee on the piano.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very observant, Jenny!! That's a watercolor from Spain.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful paintings, Jon. Do you have a preference between oils and watercolors? To me it depends on the painting. I like the 'moody' Imperial Russia painting. I'm a sucker for 'moody' paintings. Of course, love the cats. My kitchen is full of cat paintings. Once again, thanks for sharing your art collection.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to watercolors or oils, I agree that it depends on the painting. If given a choice, I'd prefer oils. I definitely like haunting, atmospheric, moody art - - but I don't have enough of it in my collection.

      I'd like to see all of those cat paintings in your kitchen.
      BTW - - I'm getting into a Halloween mood and will probably start doing some "ghostly" posts later this month.

      Delete
  6. Oh boy! Ghostly postings!! That's right up my alley, Jon. Halloween is one of my very favorites! I have some great 'ghost stories' (well, actually a couple) working in an old psychiatric hospital for 25 years! They both happened on the 3-11 shift, of course!
    Can't wait for your ghostly postings. I know they'll be good.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jon, not only for a second post showing some of your collected artwork, but also for the descriptions and why you liked a piece. I have only a two pieces of original artwork hanging on our walls. Both were done by artists we knew in VA. One was a dear friend, who passed away before we moved and I think of her every time I see the art. It is amazing the memories that art can evoke such as those you described when you look at your artwork showing cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art has a unique, personal value. My favorite paintings always evoke a satisfying feeling. Others, as you said, have a special sentimental place in our hearts. This is also true of other possessions - not only art.
      I always like things for sentimental - rather than monetary - value.

      Delete
  8. http://www.hargrovepaintings.com/wordpress/limited-editions/1987-88-limited-editions/
    "Puppy Love"

    I recently purchased an original Hargrove painting at a local antique mall. I had no idea of who this was. I just thought the painting was cute and would fit in with an antique toy collection I have. Plus, I'm a sucker for 1950's nostalgia (my childhood). I thought the painting was very reasonable ($32), plus they gave me a 10% discount! I came home and looked it up. Yikes! Obviously, the dealer had no idea the value. It's a large painting. It's a limited edition and signed by the artist. That probably won't happen again.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing, John. You got an incredibly good deal. It's obvious that the seller didn't know who Hargrove is. (and a 10% discount!).
      My Hargrove painting is small. I honestly can't remember what I paid for it - but I'm sure it was under $50. I don't think the seller that I bought it from knew anything about the artist.
      It's nice to know that good deals still exist now and then.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.