Thursday, August 18, 2022

REACHING BACK




I want to reach back in time and retrieve those summers that I knew long ago. In my fertile and unblemished childhood mind, those summers seemed to span a blissful course of carefree eternity - where time and purpose were momentarily suspended and the burden of reality was suppressed.

Those were the golden times, when minds weren't stifled and tainted with the toxic addiction of the Internet, video games, cell phones, and social media.

Those were times of delicious normalcy - - when plague masks were unheard of, and there were no inane restrictions to destroy the body and ravage the soul. The flu and the common cold ran their natural course, without the perpetual indoctrination of pandemic panic.

Summers were accepted as being hot - a natural annual occurrence - which had nothing to do with frantic alarmist pronouncements of climate change and an eventual fiery Armageddon. 

Swimmers and beachcombers savored the intoxicating sunshine without the impending prediction of eventually contracting skin cancer and suffering the agony of eternal doom.

The world at that time projected a satisfying sense of normalcy and rationality.

I want to resurrect the times when sun tea was the best ice tea ever consumed and back yard barbecues didn't cause world-wide pollution and global damnation.

I want to savor the simple summer childhood pastimes and diversions that I once knew:
Swimming, biking, roller skating. Tree climbing and jumping rope. Languishing in secret shady places while absorbed in the luxury of reading books.
Indulging in idle hours of board games: checkers, Chinese checkers, games such as Monopoly, Why, and Clue.
Staying up later than childhood restrictions allowed - being scared witless with the unholy exchange of ghost stories.
 Listening to a transistor radio under the covers in bed, during the hours when you should have been sleeping.

Childhood summers were absolute perfection in the biased luxury of what we choose to remember.

In grim reality, nothing is perfect.

In the sacred portal of our selective memory,
perfection lingers with unabashed persistence.


Cheers, Jon



12 comments:

  1. I miss those days, too, Jon. If I could go back in time, I would spend one perfect summer weekend out on our boat, almost flying on the water on an early Saturday morning to get to a long, wide sandbar on the Mississippi River miles and miles up river from St Louis, where I could see through the water to the sand bottom until it was up over my knees.
    Mom set up to fish for the day and Dad, I and our big Collie would explore the sandbar. I hated sun cream and wouldn't wear it. Dad relaxed in the shade along with our big old Collie, I swam, and usually fished for a while. Sometimes we'd meet friends out there and I would run and swim and play games with those kids. When anyone got too hot they would take a swim. We always spent the night on the boat sleeping on bunks. Mom fished all night too, until about dawn.
    Late Sunday afternoon we would head home all sunburned to a crisp. Mom and I spent Monday recovering from sunburns, all of us scented with Noxema cream on our sunburns. Dad would get up and go to work like he did every weekday. Not quite as sunburned as Mom and I. I don't know how he did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading about your summer memories - thanks for sharing them If only we could relive those days. I can sure relate to the sunburns. I disliked using suntan lotion, too (I still remember the distinct aroma of Coppertone lotion). We used Noxzema for sunburns - - it felt nice and cool because my mom kept it in the refrigerator.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh, you have read my mind and published a post that I could not have written any better.myself. Your very accurate descriptions of summer days, fun board games and jump rope, family barbeques, etc. bring back THE BEST OF TIMES that I so wish I could go back to!

    I am NOT exactly a fan of modern technology and I feel in many ways it has been our societies downfall. This generation and the generations yet to come will NEVER know such happy and simpler times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I was initially hesitant to post this because I editorialized a lot - - but these are my heartfelt feelings. I'm so glad that we have memories of long-ago summers when things were normal and relatively simple
      I totally agree that modern technology has done much more harm than good. It's infuriating to see so many kids completely obsessed with video games and cell phones. A robotic mentality seems to prevail.

      Delete
  3. Despite the anxiety and loneliness which clung to my childhood, much of what you've written makes my heart smile. That's an awesome photo you've chosen. I love fog; the possibilities it elicits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My childhood was far from idyllic, but thankfully I do have some pleasant memories that I treasure. I yearn for lost innocence and simple times.
      Here in the wilds of TN it's foggy nearly every morning, and I never tire of it.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Jon--this is Jackie in CA; your lone liberal reader! I love your Hollywood posts, since I work at a school in Hollywood--between Sunset and Hollywood Blvds, and Vermont and Western Aves. I live in Downey. I love this post about summers past, though I could have done without the editorializing! I do remember it as a much simpler time, something that's hard for my kids to understand. I agree that modern technologies are often more hurtful than helpful. I fondly remember a time when, if you wanted to talk to someone, you did it face-to-face, actually looking at them! Keep up your posts, Jon; there are many of us who care about you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jackie - I'm always hesitant to editorialize in my posts because I have a habit of over-doing it, but sometimes I can't resist. I'll have more Hollywood posts in the future. I'm very familiar with the Hollywood streets you mentioned, but I'm sure they've changed since I knew them.
      There are many positive aspects to modern technology but - unfortunately - also many detrimental ones, too. I yearn for the more simple times.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. A simpler time, indeed. I was an only child and had few friends. I spent most of my summers with my dog and cats. I'd take long hikes in the woods with my dog who was literally my best friend. I basically had no friends. I had great parents, though. Every summer we'd usually take a trip to Florida (from Ohio). This was usually in July. There was no car a/c then. Jesus it was hot! I have many fond memories of the south and was fascinated with 'plantations'. I wanted one! LOL! And OH, those gift shops along the road (which I mentioned in a previous post). Boy, could I buy crap! Thanks for stirring up some old memories, Jon.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was an only child, too, John. This made things very difficult living with my violent father. The feeling of isolation can be terrifying.
      Wow, I remember traveling in the desert with my parents many times when we didn't have a/c and I don't know how we survived. Of course, I also remember those intriguing gift shops. They seem to have been better then than nowadays.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved this post! I recalled so many memories as I was reading this.. thank you! Take care, Jon. Tennessee neighbor Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Louise - you've made my day. Thank you!

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.