Monday, April 22, 2024

A BAD VERY GOOD DAY


Bad and good? One wonders. 

I got a phone call today from some local medical organization. Sometimes when I get calls I remain clueless as to who exactly is on the other end of the line.

The lady informed me that my recent medical records were checked and she was horrified that the Livingston Hospital discharged me so quickly.

According to the records, when I first arrived my temperature was nearly 104, blood pressure was high - - and my blood tests revealed dubious bacterias. I told her to relay the information to my home care nurses.

The woman was outraged that I'm not currently hospitalized. I told her I was going to Cookeville for a CT scan - - which was true.

The dreaded day came. I had to wait for the transport service to come and get me. My expectations were very low.

I dragged my wheelchair down the front porch steps (very risky business) and waited in the front yard for the non-arrival.

It was a very beautiful day. Trees bursting with fledgling green, wildflowers, birds and bees everywhere.

While I sat in abject apprehension, the CHURA transit vehicle arrived right on time! After I regained consciousness I gave thanks to God. 

The driver was the same woman who refused to take me last February (because of the mud). She turned out to be absolutely wonderful - one of the best drivers ever.

I wore my contact lenses, so I could actually see. The scenery was glorious - -  endless green hills, forests, blossoming trees, cattle, horses. I wish I could share the spectacular beauty with you.

All in all it was a good day, except for the bad medical news. I have more dire health issues than I dare to reveal on this blog.

We arrived in (crowded) Cookeville on time. My outpatient appointment was for 2:45. I had to wait longer than expected.....and when I was finally called another long wait awaited me.

I was given a 20 oz. bottle of water to drink before the test, which was curious. I've had many CT scans, but none of them required consuming water. I kept hoping I wouldn't have to pee (I did, after the scan).

I had to wait 45 minutes for the new transport vehicle to arrive. The driver was an elderly man. He was nice but tired - - said he'd been working twelve hours straight.

Good and bad tidbits.

My huge box of frozen food arrived on time, but it was left on my car (!!!!) instead of the front porch. There was no way I could get it. Two days later I got someone to bring it to me. Thankfully the almost-thawing food was still good.

My Walmart deliveries are a week late - - delayed in transit. That means I'll never see them. Call to customer service upcoming.

I finally found a local man who will brush hog my property (secret hillbilly term). He will come on Thursday or Friday.

One of the nurses contacted a gravel company to get an estimate for putting gravel in my driveway (my request). Unfortunately I was hospitalized and don't know what transpired.

There was a hard frost last night. Had to turn the furnace on and use my winter blanket. At the end of April.

Go figure.

Yours eternally, Jon


 Photo from my front "yard"

26 comments:

  1. Well, as you said, Jon, there was good news in that the transport company actually showed and on time, the frozen food was still edible . . .and the not so good news about the “dire” health conditions, delayed Walmart deliveries. Yes, I am familiar with the term brush hogging as we used to live in a rural part of VA. Hope you learn more about the gravel driveway project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised at how good the transport service was, despite my previous encounters with them.
      When I first moved to TN I had no clue was brush hogging was. Had too Google it.
      I really want to get gravel for the driveway...
      we'll see.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for all the typos. I'm writing on my cell phone which is difficult.

      Delete
  2. Lots of good news mixed in with the dire. I am so sorry about your bad medical news. As if you needed anymore. We will have frost tonight, but this IS Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The medical issues are completely messing up my life, but I'm trying to keep going. I mostly lived in California and Texas - - so I'm astonished (and somewhat annoyed) when there's frost at the end of April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to drink water before my CT scans, but not as much as you do. Could be to expand my bladder, but I never asked. Could be to make sure you aren't too dehydrated for the dyes and/or IVs? Who knows? But I have to drink water every time, too, since I switched to Sanford. Never had to all the time I was at Essentia Health. They get better more detailed scans at Sanford so I am happy to drink the water and rush to the bathroom afterwards--lol! Oh, and Essentia only ever gave me one scan (for liver) and at Sanford I get two every time (lower one for bladder)...one right after the other. Have to wait there on the table for 7 minutes in-between them. That's why I assumed it was to enlarge my bladder but never asked. Never assume, right? lol!

    I'm glad your driver was there and was nice. Great that your food got inside before it spoiled, too. Who did you get to bring in the groceries? Why did it take two days? Do you have a neighbor's number?

    I'm glad somebody paid attention to your test results and paperwork! Even if it is after the fact. Did the information get relayed to your nurses?

    I hope the gravel can be arranged for your driveway and you get the lawn brush hogged. Funny, I watch vlogs on YT with a farm in Alabama and that was the first time I heard the term...but all this time it sounded like "bush" hogged to me. Could be the accents--lol! Anyways, I knew of what you spoke. ;)

    Glad you got some good news, though! Spring is on its way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad to hear about all your CT scans. I suppose the water does have something to do with the bladder. I had to wait about five minutes between scans. The whole process took longer than my previous scans.
      I'm glad I got the medical call. I was wondering why I was discharged so quickly. I don't know yet if the nurses received the information.
      One of the people from home health care got my frozen food...better late than never.
      I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  5. Yes, bush-hogging is very common in the south. Not for areas that are mowed regularly but for areas where the "bush" has been allowed to take over.
    It's alarming that the hospital were not too concerned with your test results and situation, hopefully they will do better
    Good news about your frozen delivery still being edible, why would someone think to leave it on your car hood ? Sheesh.
    Hang in there friend,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bush and brush has completely taken over my property. It grows VERY quickly. Perhaps that's why UPS left my frozen food on the car.
      I was initially puzzled as to why I was released so quickly from the hospital. I'm glad someone has looked into it.
      I'm trying to hang in...but it's not easy *a weary smile inserted here*

      Delete
  6. Oh m'gosh, Jon! This reminds me of a scene from Fiddler on the Roof -- "On the Other Hand!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSK6l24buk).
    Trying to interpret hospital reports, recommendations and the like sounds like trying reading tea leaves -- and believing what they say. The last time Tom was in the hospital the attending doc strongly suggested we get up to his cardiologist at UAB 'sooner rather than later.' Yet, when the cardiologist read his echo he seemed to think the attending (general hospitalist) was over-reacting.
    No wonder you're bewildered. At least you're not at a loss for blog fodder. Waiting with bated breath for "The rest of the story."

    PS - I'd never heard of bush hogging until we moved here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite musicals. Life is filled with "on the other hand". I have so many conflicting ordeals. Bad and good, indeed.......
      Dealing with the extreme complications of medical issues can make one more sick than the pending malady.
      I stupidly thought it had something to do with hogs.....honest!

      Delete
  7. You had quite the adventure. Glad somebody was paying attention to the results of the tests. I was born and raised in Alabama, and have always heard it called bush hogging. Take care of yourself, Sheila Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially wondered why I was released so soon. It's good that someone else is concerned about it.
      The term is correctly called bush hogging. I (incorrectly) call it brush hogging, because there's so much brush on my property.

      Delete
  8. Was the bottle of water just water, or did it contain a contrast (dye)? That is often given orally for a abdominal ct scan. The bladder often needs to be inflated before an ultrasound, but sometimes if the bladder or urinary tract is being imaged, fluid is needed inside the organ for a CT scan also.
    Sorry to hear about the other bad news, hope it's something that can be dealt with...
    Nice photo, this time of year is beautiful in many parts of the states. I'm in the PNW, and it's late spring here now, tulips are just about finished.
    Take care,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water was plain spring water. I initially thought there might be a type of "dye" in it, but there wasn't.
      The blood tests indicate sepsis and I'll be finding out more about treatments very soon.
      Will update when I can.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. You are being surrounded by God's strength. I am praying for you. I promise. I grew up in mid Illinois on a hog farm. Some of your phrases are familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recent blood tests aren't good, on top of all my other problems. I've been praying a lot lately.
      A hog farm must have been interesting, but a lot of hard work.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  10. Yes, sadly enough, the medical field needs to desperately get its' act together! I remember a friend of mine telling me that her husband (then in his 40's) was forced to take a stress test which involved getting on a treadmill type machine and running so fast it actually BROUGHT ON his heart attack! Horrifying, but true! They rushed him straight to the hospital from that assonine test!

    I am glad the nurse caught your issue and reported it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, I've also heard of someone who had a heart attack on a stress treadmill. It was a friend of our family long ago.
      I'm presently trapped in a medical web. It's nearly impossible to fight my way out. I'm really exhausted.....

      Delete
    2. Understandable. We have little choice but to rely on the "medical expertise" of our modern day medical profession. May God forgive them because personally speaking I do not. I PRAY for you every single day, Jon. I have a lot more faith in HIM than I do the medical field.

      Delete
    3. You're definitely right about that.

      Delete
  11. "Cookeville for a CT scam"

    Did you notice you wrote scaM? 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice it!
      Darn it - - I thought I was perfect
      *smile*

      Delete
    2. I'll correct it later.I'm presently on my cell phone and it's impossible....

      Delete
  12. Seems like doctors just don't care any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. I'm losing my faith.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.