Sunday, May 5, 2024

SKELETON IN THE CLOSET

This was the family skeleton in the closet. My paternal grandmother and her sisters were tired of the local newspapers rehashing stories about the 1906 New Jersey murder that took place in their family. They were proper, well-respected people who viewed scandals with disdain. Sometime in the 1950s they took legal action against the media and successfully managed to stop all public mention of the murder until after they were all deceased.

Eventually, all the older members of our large family died off - - and none of the younger ones knew anything about the murder, except me and my mother. My mom happened to have a scrapbook that contained several old newspaper articles about the murder.

As a child, I became completely fascinated with stories of the murder, mainly because I was related to the murderer, Frederick Lang, and also to his innocent victim, Kate Gordon.

When I got older - after my grandmother's death - I spent several years researching the murder and compiling every shred of information that I could find concerning it. This was difficult and grueling work, since it was before the onslaught of the Internet.

As a former journalist, I was used to digging deep for information and being ruthlessly persistent. I managed to find the original transcript of the July, 1906 court case, all of the briefs and files of the attorneys, legal information of the 1908 sanity hearing, letters and notes concerning the murder, and every published newspaper article between 1906 and 1909 (when the execution took place). In 1997, I published an article about the murder in the New Jersey Monthly. Since then, I obtained more information.

There is nothing particularily unusual about the murder, nothing at all of a mystery. It was merely a crime of passion - - but there are unexpected twists and turns.

In April, 1906, twenty-two year old Frederick Lang murdered his eighteen-year-old niece Katalin Gordon. He was passionately in love with her, to the point of complete obsession. 

She spurned his advances and refused his marriage proposal. Lang decided that if he couldn't have her, no one else could have her, either. He told one of his friends that he'd rather shoot Kate then to see her with another man. His threat wasn't taken seriously.

An uncle lusting after his niece? There was only a four year difference in their ages - - and there is a  murky family rumor that Lang was possibly illegitimate, only a half-blood relative of Kate. As if that might be a (fictional) saving grace.

So, what is my relation to these people? 

Frederick Lang was my great-grandmother's brother. So he was my great-uncle.

Kate Gordon was my grandmother's sister, and my great-grandparent's daughter. That makes her my great-aunt.

My great-grandparents John and Justinia Gordon had twelve children. Kate was the eldest child. At the time of the murder, in 1906, my grandmother Anna was ten years old. She remembered picking violets from the garden and placing them in Kate's hands as she laid in the open casket.

The two eldest Gordon children, Kate and Rose, were born in Hungary. The rest of the children were born in America. Frederick Lang was also born in Hungary. He came to America in 1903, when he was about eighteen.

At that time, my great grandfather John Gordon was the foreman on the elevation of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Frederick Lang worked with him for awhile, but later worked in the steel mines in South Bethlehem, PA.

In 1906, at the time of the murder, my great-grandparents and their children lived on a farm located on Dunham's Hill near Piscatawaytown in New Jersey.

Their three eldest daughters - Kate 18, Rozsa 16, and Mary 14 - worked at the Hirschorn, Mack, and Co. cigar factory in New Brunswick - - which, at that time, mostly hired Hungarians.

Frederick Lang occasionally visited the Gordon family, traveling by train to New Brunswick, then walking the long trek to the farm on Dunham's Hill.  He incidentally carried a pistol for protection, since there were robbers and ruffians along the way.

In April, 1906, Lang visited the Gordon family just after Easter. Things went smoothly, but Kate made it clear that she had no interest in Frederick's marriage proposals. He seemed to silently back off with his matrimonial pursuit, but under the surface he was undoubtedly seething.

On Friday April 20th, the three eldest girls - Kate, Rozsa, and Mary - had breakfast at around 6:00 a.m. then left the house and walked down the hill to the narrow country road. This is where the trolley stopped every morning to take them to work in New Brunswick.

It was a foggy, dank morning. The girls called after their Uncle, who finally came out of the house and joined them. Fred intended to ride the trolley with them to New Brunswick, where he would then ride the train back to Pennsylvania.

Near 6:30 they heard the distant rumble of the trolley heading their way.

Kate was standing right next to her Uncle. She suddenly teasingly asked "What are you going to bring me back from Pennsylvania, Uncle Fred?"

"Bring you back?" he said, rather puzzled.

"Why don't you bring me a nice young man whom I can Marry?"

They were Kate's very last words.

Exactly as the trolley was pulling up before them, Frederick pulled out a revolver and shot Kate in the neck at close range.

Kate dropped to the ground, bleeding to death with a severed carotid artery. The two girls and the passengers on the trolley were stunned.

Frederick's mindless rage exploded. In a blind fury he fired the gun at Rozsa, but his shaking hand caused a miss. Rozsa escaped behind the trolley and managed to run toward the house.

Mary ran screaming down the road with Lang in hot pursuit. He shot at her. The bullet grazed her elbow, but she managed to climb a fence on the Gordon property and fell into a pond.

John Gordon - who was in the barn tending the horses - heard the screams and came out. He saw Lang running away and chased after him. Fred fired at him but missed. Gordon, unarmed, picked up rocks and threw them at the assailant.

Lang reached the edge of a forest. He dramatically held the gun to his own head and pulled the trigger, but there were no bullets left. He then quickly vanished into the thicket of trees.

John Gordon went back to the gate where the trolley was. He picked up the lifeless body of his daughter and carried her back to the house.

Then he quickly saddled a horse and rode to New Brunswick for help.

Jon V.


This is quite long. If anyone is interested, in my next post I'll write about the capture and execution of Frederick Lang.

More photos in next post



My great-grandfather John Gordon ( Janos von Gurdon)



My great-aunt Kate Gordon (Katalin Gurdon)


The Hirschorn, Mack, and Co. cigar factory where the Gordon girls worked in 1906.


New Brunswick NJ 
1906 trolley car


21 comments:

  1. Astonishing family history. These places are a few miles from where I live! Yes, if you don't mind, it would be interesting to read the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd enjoy this, since you're familiar with New Jersey. I was born in New Brunswick.
      I'll continue the story in my next post.

      Delete
  2. I remember you telling us this story before but I'd like to hear it all again. People are so fascinating and weird and sometimes unbelievable in what they are capable of. What a family story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was initially hesitant to post this, but then I figured I'd rehash it for my newer readers. There are so many Hungarian men who have insane tempers that could be sparked by anything. My father (unfortunately) was like that.
    By all accounts Fred Lang got along very well with the Gordon family. It's horrifying to think that in an instant he wanted to kill them!
    People are indeed weird.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also interested in the rest of the story. I have a cousin who murdered an aunt. It's a tawdry story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some incomprehensible reason, I like tawdry stories - - especially if they are true. I think most families have a skeleton in the closet.....somewhere.

      Delete
    2. You guys reminded me of a Golden Girls episode. At a bookstore author appearance Blanche is berating a friend who wrote the most "tawdry" (and various other sharp words) book she had ever read and how ashamed she was to be at her book signing. With that, every soul in the store walked over to buy a copy of the book.

      😂

      It may have been Dorothy.

      Delete
    3. I vaguely remember that episode of the Golden Girls.

      Delete
  5. Oh, those closet skeletons! They always make for great stories, especially the true ones.
    This was quite the story and look forward to the continuing saga. I never heard anything about skeletons in my family closet.... but they were German and pretty tight lipped. I bet there's a goodie or two in there! I'm probably one of those stories!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for my annoying perserverance, this family scandal would have been buried forever.
      Your ancestors might have been tight lipped, but I'm certain there is a skeleton somewhere in one of their closets. Keep searching and you might find one.....

      Part Two will be coming soon (hopefully)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you decided to rehash this tragedy, Jon! My father's family had one (or more?) skeletons in the closet as well. Unfortunately for my cousins and I, all the salacious details were kept under lock and key; and those 'in the know' are all deceased. Oh well, given today's standards (or lack thereof), it may have been not worthy of a raised eyebrow.
    I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has actually appeared this time! It's a Blogger miracle!

      As you said, by today's lack of standards, nothing is too shocking. It's a shame that so many people take secrets with them to the grave. I'm glad that I took the time and energy to excavate this story. All of my oldest relatives were deceased by then - - except for Rozsa Gordon, who lived to be nearly 100.

      Delete
  7. Was it as weird then as it is now to receive a marriage proposal from your uncle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was weird back in 1906, but nowadays I suppose it's completely normal.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I'm just about the only one who was intrigued by our family history.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. Wow. Skeleton in the closet in a really strange way takes on new meaning. Close blood relatives weren't allowed to marry back when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if they were allowed to marry in 1906, but Lang was supposedly illegitimate and only half-related to Kate.

      Delete
  10. Please do continue, Jon, as a native of NJ, I too am interested in this story and New Brunswick was not far from my home town of Plainfield, NJ. By the way, as a former journalist and reporter myself, you have done a very good job of recounting the facts in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this would be of interest to you, as a native of New Jersey. I was born in New Brunswick and had a lot of relatives in that area.
      I'm glad you enjoyed reading this, Dorothy.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.