Saturday, June 15, 2024

FATHER'S DAY

 Where to begin? My father John. I could write a book. He was probably the most complex person I ever knew. He was a genuine Jekyll and Hyde. He was the person who nearly completely destroyed my life.

He could be kind and extremely generous. He had a wicked sense of humor. He passionately loved music, just as my mother and I did. Classical music, Hungarian music, country music. He was an insatiable Hank Williams fan

He was extremely clever and could make or fix anything. His energy and creative imagination were boundless. He was a good provider and conscientious about paying bills.  He was obsessed with cleanliness. He was an extreme workaholic. He drank copious amounts of beer but wasn't an alcoholic.

When he first started school ( in New Jersey) he couldn't speak a word of English - - he only spoke Hungarian. Back in those days no one catered to kids like him. He learned English entirely by himself.

He dropped out of school in ninth grade and got a job delivering telegrams. When we moved to California (when I was six) he managed to lie his way into getting enrolled in Pasadena College. The classes that he took enabled him (many years later) to get an extremely good top job with the biggest steel company in California.

Back in New Jersey in his youth, my father was wild and got arrested several times for petty crimes (like stealing cars). Later he was involved in two serious scandals that would have given him possibly long prison sentences. I won't divulge details on a public blog, but both crimes happened because of his uncontrollable violent temper.

Blind luck was on his side. He was let off the hook for the first crime because at that time my mother was pregnant (with me) and the judge had compassion for her (things were so different back then) so my father served no time in prison.

The second scandal took place in California when I was six. My father miraculously won the court case due to a good attorney and some "witnesses" who lied in his behalf.

Truthfully, I had been the only one who had really witnessed my father's crime (he violently attacked another person). I was also in the court room for the trial, but didn't testify. If I did, he would have spent years in prison. 

My father was 19 when he joined the Navy and was catapulted into WWII. His ship was bombed but he survived. He was in the Normandy Invasion.

None of this is in logical order. I merely writing down random thoughts.

Without a doubt, my father was the most violent person I ever knew. His temper would ignite in seconds and his rage was completely maniacal. When the tempest was over (which could take days), he would awake as from a dream and pretend nothing had ever happened. He never said he was sorry.

His violent outbursts were always inspired by very minor things, never anything of major importance.

I dislike erasing the good times and focusing on the bad - - but the nightmarish incidents can't be eradicated.

I remember all the nights when my mother and I had to run outside and hide in the yard, praying that he wouldn't find us.

I remember the night when mom and I got into the car and tried to leave, but he found us and doused the garage with gasoline, threatening to burn it down.

My mother tried to leave many times, but the details are far too massive and complicated to relate here. Essentially, there was no escape.

I was fourteen, on a hot summer day, barefooted in the back yard trying to keep cool. My father was doing some work and I got in his way. He grabbed me and kept punching, then had me in a bear hug and squeezed until I was breathless....then kept stamping on my bare feet until they bled, with his heavy work boots.

That incident gave me two fractured ribs.

When enraged, his strength was Herculean. Once he ripped a wooden closet door off the hinges and kept bashing my mother over the head with it.

He had no mercy.

I vividly remember an incident that happened when I was a teen - - but I can't recall why he was angry. I was taking a shower in the bathroom. He burst in and pulled me out of the shower.

He dragged me, dripping wet and stark naked, to the front door and tossed me outside - then locked the door.

I had to hide somewhere near the back of the house. My mom came out and brought me a towel and some clothes.

There were two incidents involving a gun. One night my hatred overwhelmed me. I found my father's loaded revolver and planned to kill him. I sneaked into the room where he was sleeping and pointed the gun at him. I almost pulled the trigger numerous times......but finally considered the consequences.

I left the room as a coward.

Many years later, in another moment of anger, he handed me a loaded gun and told me to kill myself.

Dear old dad.

The final, very worst incident happened when I was eighteen. We had an incredibly violent blowup in the living room, during which he choked me into unconsciousness.

I escaped to Hollywood. Thus began the wild, reckless, dangerous years of debauchery and self-hatred. Booze, drugs, endless one night stands, lethal lovers.....I savored danger and welcomed self-destruction.

I embraced this insane lifestyle even when I was in college and became a professional pianist.

The tales I could tell are endless. This is merely a paltry blog post that should have never been written.

I forgave my father in his old age. He had a tough life when he was young and harbored many demons.....

All my hate has vanished and forgiveness is a relief. I have absolutely no right to judge.

I was with him when he died in 2005. My last words to him were

"I love you, dad."

Jon



Postscript

I was extremely hesitant to post this. How can an entire lifetime be condensed into a brief blog post? I hardly scratched the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I didn't tell about the times my mom tried to leave and the reasons why she didn't.

I didn't tell about all the other incidents that were FAR worse than the ones I revealed. I didn't mention the horrifying nightmares I had for years or the psychological wounds that were far worse than the physical ones.

Some people tell me to forget the past.

I survived the past and I'm stronger because of it. Any one who forgets the past is a coward.


In the Navy, my father is on the right in the white shirt


Showing off the fish that he caught



Dad in his Willys Jeep, probably 1949.



My parents in Atlantic City before they were married



I have no clue how old I was. Photo taken in New Jersey.


My parent's 40th wedding anniversary



Me and my father in his old age

29 comments:

  1. What a life. For him and his family. Nowadays I bet he'd be on anti seizure medication. Hungarians seem to be fiery people, the ones I know in the UK and NJ, anyway. Small sample!
    You certainly inherited your musical talent and sheer grit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were many violent Hungarian men in both sides of the family. It was definitely an ethnic trait. I'm grateful for my music talent.....and my ability to survive.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the mad Magyars as they say. Also, the Hungarians are the cuss kings of Europe.
      My maternal grandma was Hungarian with a little Polish/Slovakian mixed in and did not mince her words and could cuss out a sailor. I was told Granma’s dad was surprisingly even tempered and cool as a cucumber despite being of Hungarian, Polish and Slovakian descent and her full bloodied Hungarian mom was very outspoken.:) -Rj

      Delete
  2. Jon, as much as you hesitated in posting this post about your father and his mercurial temperament, sadly, it was how it was with unfortunate side effects for yourself and your mother. It is good to read that you were able to forgive him years later, perhaps not completely, but total forgiveness is likely very hard after the years of abuse you described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admittedly had intense hatred for a long time, but I finally realized that it was only harming myself.
      Time doesn't heal all wounds....

      Delete
  3. I am so grateful to have had an upbringing with a kind and gentle soul for a dad, he was my world.
    My husband's father was an alcoholic , and a talented country music player, with some of Nashville's finest . He had many friends who admired him and spoke highly of him, but not his children who he showed his temper much to often.
    Thankfully you had a wonderful, caring mother, and your musical talent gave you a way out.
    The fact that you said you love him on his death bed, speaks volumes about your kindness.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, you are so fortunate to have had a kind, loving father - - his soul lives on, shining through you.
    Many people with violent tempers can successfully mask their true selves and seem perfectly "normal" to others. My father was exactly like that.
    I'm so thankful that my mother managed to survive.
    As I've often said - - she was my anchor in a sea of chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon, I am so sorry. I am amazed you were able to forgive. It is a gift you give to yourself.

    Whew...

    Was your Father aware of what he did when he was in a rage? It sounds like he woke up with no memory of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can forgive but I can't forget.
      My father knew exactly what he was doing, but he just refused to admit it. He always blamed everything on me and my mom.

      Delete
  6. You are a better person than I. Your physical abuse was horrific. I am sorry. You are definitely a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I didn't speak to him for over a year. I'm probably a fool for forgiving him, but I felt it was the best thing to do.

      Delete
  7. Because I'm a long-time reader/fan, these remembranc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..remembrances don't come as a surprise. Rather, the depth of sadness for the little boy you were. Even the man your father deep inside longed to be. Your last words to him brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for doing that.

      Delete
    2. There are times when tears are mingled with my memories - - for so very many reasons. I am thankful that I didn't inherit the insane violence.
      When he died, my mother said a great weight was lifted from her shoulders.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like intermittent explosive disorder. I've seen it many times working in psych and it's scary as hell. I had meds, restraints and backup help....you and your mother had each other and that was about it. I know that had to be horrifying and not knowing when the next explosion would be. You're definitely a survivor, Jon. You're so right in that you can forgive but not forget. And life moves on....the best it can. Thank you for sharing, Jon.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother and I truly did live in our own private world of hell. I had no siblings - we were on our own. Back then the subject of family violence was never mentioned in public. It was one horrendous secret.
      I'm really surprised that we survived with our sanity. I'm glad my mom outlived my father. She had a few years of peace.

      Delete
  9. Do you think when your dad got into his old age he was ever sorry for the way he acted or treated you both? My dad was no where near as bad as yours, we were as close as could be I suppose, but when his old age rolled again, he was much more mellow and embarrassed by things he said or did. My mother threatened to leave many times. But had we had the incident you had.."doused the garage with gasoline, threatening to burn it down" she would probably have thrown him a pack of matches to ignite it.

    Out the funeral, the pastor asked my mother did she have any final words to deliver...and she basically said start shoveling dirt boys. Then invited everyone back to the house for drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father did mellow somewhat in his old age, but he could still be moody and difficult. He said some very nasty things to me a few weeks before he died. I don't know if he ever regretted all the havoc he caused.
    I'm sorry, but I had a big smile when you described how your mother felt at your father's funeral. My mom felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will never understand why some father's choose to treat their family so badly. My own dad's father was an abusive drunk who resented my dad for even being born because my dad was not planned and back in those days when you got a woman in a family way, you married them. He would beat my father for merely asking for a glass of water. I am honestly glad he DIED before I was born because I would have NEVER forgiven the rotten bastard. Seriously.

    I find it ironic that my dad also loved Hank Williams, Sr.'s music - as do I actually.

    I am so sorry you and your mother had to endure such things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't understand where the intense hatred comes from. In my situation it was nothing personal - - my father would have inflicted his violence on anyone. I do suspect that he was jealous of my mom because she was beautiful. My father never really wanted children....and I think I reminded him of his brother Frank, whom he hated. He sometimes mistakenly called me Frank (!!!)
    It's all a puzzle, Kim.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes. Forgiving and forgetting are two different things. I'm glad you had some time with your dad at the end when it wasn't as bad...and what a blessing you had that time with your mother! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I forgave my father before he died. There was no use holding a grudge, no matter how bad the situation was. I took care of my mom for four years before she died in 2009.

      Delete
  14. So sad when one’s own father is so damn abusive. Sometimes the child has to be the adult in the room and somehow try and understand it all and forgive. Forgiveness is the difficult part. I was fairly fortunate with my own father as he was never abusive, but sadly his own father was abusive to him and his eleven siblings and their mother. Grandad was a mix bag, loving on one hand and abusive as hell at times.
    When grandad walked out on the family in 1947 in San Francisco it was a relief, though the next few years were very rough. Reminiscing in later years, my older aunts and uncles were glad he left, the younger ones were very resentful that their father abandoned them. And They all felt they were cheated out of a loving home. When grandad died in 1974 in San Francisco from treatable cancer, that the stubborn fool refused to get treatment for, half the family went to the funeral, half did not and Ma sent flowers. My aunt Lea who was the oldest of the girls, told me much about the mental and physical abuse they had to take from their dad, things that to this day my own dad refuses to talk much about. Lea felt they put up with a lot , but she remembered as a girl that some kids she knew in their neighborhood on Diamond Street and at school had it MUCH worse.:( Outright abuse with broken bones for some and sex abuse for others. Aunt Lea was thankful that grandad didn’t sink that low. She felt a lot of it stemmed from San Francisco having too many bars and liquor stores at that time.
    People drank like fish ! And when they got drunk many of them got mean ! Also the fact that most abusive fathers would rarely talk about their own childhoods.
    My aunts and uncles have been great parents and grandparents for their kids and grandkids, no doubt from promising themselves to not be abusive like their father was to them. I can only think what grandad went through when he was a kid, for he never talked about his own upbringing. And though me and my own dad have arguments, disagreements and fights, like all fathers and sons, the respect and love is there. The children of abuse, now adults, have to figure out why their own fathers were so abusive. Somehow deep in that man was a loving father trying to get out and the demon within won.:( -Rj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sad to say children of an abusive parent(s) have to be the adult in the room.
    They are left wondering why and somehow find someway to forgive.
    Sadly many of the abusers have let the demons within them win. :(
    The best revenge against the demon that overcame them is to be the best person you can be and stop that cycle of abuse. :) -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very often felt like the adult in the room. I had no siblings so I was the only one trapped in the turmoil. There seemed to be no way out.......and eventually comes a time when you give up and don't really care.

      Delete
    2. My dad and his eleven siblings had to take a lot of crap from their father when they grew up in San Francisco. Grandad could be abusive at times, but strangely they felt lucky because other kids in their neighborhood on Diamond street had it much worse. My oldest aunt recalled kids in school with broken bones, a few suffering sex abuse and a classmate killed by his own father.:(
      Grandad walked out on the family leaving my dad and his older siblings relieved and the younger ones left feeling very resentful for being abandoned. :(
      The silver lining is all my dad and aunts and uncles cherished all the kids in the family, no doubt to make sure we had it better than they had. :) -Rj

      Delete
    3. Perhaps it's a merciful relief that your grandad walked out on the family - - even if he wasn't as abusive as some of the other fathers.
      When I was young, family violence was very seldom talked about.
      I'm shocked at how prevalent it was (and is).

      Delete
  16. I hesitated to comment as I have no personal experience in this terrible realm. My dad was a decent person for his time, semi-racist and homophobic as many in his generation were. He was always kind and fatherly to me.
    You seem to have somehow survived and on the surface freed yourself from the demons that haunted your father. I know they have left scars, how could they not...but, you are a good person, and to be commended for your resilience.
    My best to you, I wish you had better memories.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to focus on the good memories, but the devastating ones inevitably surface. I have many flaws, but I'm thankful that I didn't inherit the violence.
      You are fortunate that your father was kind and normal.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.