Saturday, July 13, 2024

LITTLE BASTARDS

On September 21, 1955, actor James Dean received his brand new Porsche 500 Spyder racing car, which he christened "The Little Bastard." Nine days later, on September 30th, Dean was killed in his new Porsche on his way to the races in Salina, CA.


(the 130 was the provisional race number for the car)

This has nothing to do with my blog post. My little bastards are different.

Gnats.

Yes, gnats. Every summer, ever since I moved here, I have been mercilessly plagued with gnats. The onslaught is Biblical.

These aren't fruit flies nor drain flies. My little bastards are plain ol' gnats. Unnervingly abundant, extremely aggressive. They buzz in my ears, go up my nose, get in my mouth, get in my eyes.

I have two fans blasting to keep them away - - but it doesn't bother them. 

I found one floating in my cup of coffee. I now cover the cups with aluminum foil.

I can't eat soup in a bowl. I have to eat it from the pot, keeping the lid on after every bite (or rather slurp).

Every meal that I eat has to be carefully covered, while I take fast bites inbetween.....

When I'm using my cell phone, they scurry across the screen.

My entire existence is tortured by gnats. Bug spray doesn't bother them.

One ploy, however, does work. If you leave out a bowl of vinegar it will attract and kill hundreds of gnats. One or two drops of dishwashing liquid could be added, to keep them from crawling out.

Presently I don't have vinegar, but it will be on my next list.

So how am I doing?

A new nurse came last Tuesday. My blood pressure and heart rate are normal. No fever.....yet.

My old refrigerator is nearly dead. I'm thinking about ordering a new one today, but..... if FedEx has trouble delivering a box of crackers, what the hell will they do with a refrigerator??

How about some photos- -




I've finally been using my new cell phone to take pictures - better quality than the old one. My front "yard" yesterday. Beautiful weather, but in the 90s.




By the side of my house, a path to the forest.


A part of my dusty living room. One piano and an antique desk.




The air fryer oven arrived
 yesterday. Didn't unpack it because there's nowhere to put
 it! Everything in the kitchen
 needs to be rearranged.


Found this in a drawer a few days ago. My security guard badge when I worked at Hughes Aircraft. When I was at Goodwill Industries (with the murderer) I worked for Burns Security.

You can read about the murder on my previous post, "Midnight Shift".
More info.- -
Robert was his real name. I forgot to mention that his deceased wife worked for a medical company, which is why Robert knew so much about drugs, etc.
Most murderers enjoy talking about their crimes. Robert confessed many horrifying things to me, which I didn't reveal on my blog post.

I had a newspaper article (Orange County Register) about the murder, but it is lost.
Goodwill tried to suppress the story because they didn't want bad publicity. The young man who was murdered (and resembled me) was named John, but I can't remember his surname.
If this happened nowadays I'm certain that there would have been more publicity.

I'm positive that Robert put the body in the trash compactor on my shift. The gate to the yard had been accidentally left open.
Later that night, when I discovered the open gate, I saw Robert's white Lincoln Continental drive by.

Cheers, Jon

P.S.
I'm shamelessly pimping my previous post for those who haven't read it....

18 comments:

  1. I suppose gnats are protein.. I do the vinegar thing with fruit flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can do without gnat protein. The vinegar works remarkably well.

      Delete
  2. I've also done the vinegar in a bowl thing with fruit flies and with the little plant bugs that fly around, too. Sounds like you need those bowls all over your house!
    I can hardly wait to hear about your air fryer! I've wondered what you can make in them.
    Your yard looks great!! They must still be coming to mow for you?
    If you order the frig from a local appliance store they know how to deliver and set them up for you and often will take the old one away for you. Yes, they usually charge for delivery, but it would be really worth it! The last thing you need is a refrigerator sitting in a box in your yard that you can't move yourself! There should be some local stores that sell appliances. You might even be able to comparison shop prices! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually put bowls of vinegar in different rooms, but the kitchen area is the worst place for gnats.
      The mower guys usually come around once a week. If it doesn't need much mowing, they just trim it without charge.
      I'm still deciding about the refrigerator, but local appliance stores are an intriguing choice.

      Delete
  3. Vinegar is a cure all for everything. It also makes wonderful shampoo and conditioner in one!

    I am not going to read your previous post. Nope. Nada. Fingers in ears. La la la la la. I have already heard too much! 😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinegar on my hair?? Never!
      I mentioned my post again because it is a sly way to pimp it for those people who haven't read it. I never want to waste a good thing *smile*

      Delete
  4. I have gnats and mosquitoes in biblical numbers, but not inside the house. Get that vinegar! I use my airfryer all the time, it's perfect for roasting vegetables. You place looks nice and tidy, inside and out. If you have a big box store in the area, they deliver and set up for you. I bought a refrigerator from home depot and there was a delivery or a set up charge. The guys were great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, I never have problems with mosquitoes here - but the gnats drive me bonkers.
      I definitely thought about Home Depot, but Walmart online has a very low price for a certain one that I want....but don't know if I'll risk a FedEx delivery.

      Delete
  5. I love how, despite everything, your humor remains intact! I'm going to try that vinegar and Dawn hack outback where the flying insects from Hell gather. I don't mind so much them biting me, but I could become rabid if our girls were to come to any harm.
    Your yard looks wonderful, and I'm looking forward to hearing what creations you make in the air fryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor and God's grace are the only things that keep me going.
      I was initially going to delete this post because it's boring.
      If I EVER find a place to put the air fryer, I'll post my attempts at using it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jon
    Been away for awhile, needed a break from media of all sorts, and some places I've been don't have coverage.
    When I lived in Alaska, long ago, we had 'noseeums', tiny bugs like you describe, except they bit, tiny red marks were left.
    I like your pictures, looks bucolic. Hope it hasn't been too hot there. I'm back to the heat and unprepared...luckily it's still dropping down to the 50's at night.
    Hope your health is ok, I'll read your earlier posts.
    Cheers, my friend.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness that these gnats don't bite, but they are incredibly annoying. When I lived in Texas I was plagued with scorpions, which scared the jeeters out of me. Unfortunately there are annoyances everywhere.
      It's been hot here, in the 90s, and not much rain - which is rare.
      It's good to hear from you, Mike. Take care.

      Delete
  7. thecontemplativecat here. We are being attacked by some sneaky midge like biting insect. They love me. Hope this finds you well, surviving July. It doesn't matter your hemisphere or mine. Summer totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you - I was never fond of summer. It's even worse in a rural area, where I live. Annoying creatures abound. I wonder if an insect repellent might help us.
      Take care and keep cool.

      Delete
  8. Seems everyone knows about the vinegar and soap ploy to capture annoying insects and we used it as well for fruit flies in VA, thankfully none here now. I can’t imagine how annoying those gnats are after reading this post, Jon. Is the invasion less in cooler temps? Good that you are using the new cell phone . Good luck with getting a new fridge which ever option you decide on, hopefully you can find one that delivers indoors and removes the old one, even if the cost is a bit more, convenience is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gnats completely vanish when the weather gets cooler. Then we are plagued with Asian beetles and stink bugs.
      If I didn't have the steps going up to the front porch, all deliveries would be easier.

      Delete
  9. So glad to hear that you got your air fryer! They are GREAT!!

    Your pics are N-I-C-E!!!! Your new phone takes beautiful photos!

    And yes, the gnats are AWEFUL this year because of the terrible humidity we have been having. We get nothing but rain here which only serves to make it even more humid (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tennessee summers are fairly mild, but this year it's unusually hot. In the 90s every day - today was 97. The gnats are rampant every summer and they are driving me bonkers.
      I haven't tried the air fryer yet - I can't find a place for it in my small kitchen (!)
      Take care and stay cool.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.