Monday, July 22, 2024

THIS IS NOW

Since many of my well - intentioned readers prefer to hear about my mundane every day life, rather than the fantastic adventures I had when I lived in Hollywood......

I will comply with your request.

I said "well - intentioned" to be polite.

Don't take me too seriously. I like to derive confidence through the sarcastic written word. In reality I'm a sweetheart. A very insecure sweetheart.

Let's start with the innocuous things first. I'll get into the rotten stuff later.

About two weeks ago (?)

At around midnight I stepped outside on the front porch. I was only out for about two minutes. When I went back inside I was horrified..........(the dots are intended to increase tension)

to discover that a bird flew into the house! Birds build nests all around the front porch. I must have frightened this one from his (her) nest.

I tried to scoot him (her) to the front door, but he was bewildered and confused. I couldn't catch him. So.....I turned out all the lights and went to bed.

I got up at the crack of dawn. My feathered friend was in the kitchen window, desperately trying to get out. I opened the back door and he (she) flew out!

Happy ending.

I've heard an old adage that a bird in the house will bring good luck.

Take a deep breath. We're getting to the rotten part.

The next day I got one of my mysterious fevers. My temperature was over 102. I get them every few weeks and no one can figure out why.

The next night I was in the kitchen, feeling so rotten that I thought I was going to croak.

Suddenly there was a very loud bang (KAPOW!!!), like an explosion - - and instantly there was the unmistakable sound of rushing water.

Holy crap! A broken pipe!

I immediately turned off the main water valve in the house and the rushing sound stopped.

Abject terror inspired me to call the water department in the morning and had them turn off the main meter - just to be safe.

So, by this time my temperature was nearly 103. I had no water to drink and no money for a plumber.

I immediately went online and ordered a case of bottled water.

Wouldn't you know it? My shipment was delayed in transit and wouldn't get delivered for over a week!

In desperation, I tried my old faithful Walmart online. They could deliver French sparkling water in one day.

So the next day Maison Perrier arrived. It was really refreshing.

The case of water that I initially ordered is still delayed.

Today (Monday, I think) I got a visit from a homecare nurse. Usually I get the female nurses - Amanda, Becky, Misty, Sandra, Claire. They're all good. Dusty, the male nurse, came today and I was glad. He has a knack for getting things done quickly. He's going to try to get someone to look at the pipes under my house.

Anyway......

Before all this crap happened, I had optimistic plans to "redo" my small (very small) kitchen. I planned to resurface the floor, then use floor paint and a clear sealer (I did this in one room of my Texas house and it looked really nice).

I also wanted to buy a cabinet for the new air fryer oven. I already bought a new refrigerator.

I'm keeping the old one for now  because the freezer still works perfectly.

The new refrigerator is a smaller size, but I don't need a gigantic one.

BTW

I was very apprehensive about FedEx delivering a refrigerator, since they sometimes have trouble delivering a box of crackers.

I was absolutely stunned, shocked, gasping in disbelief when I discovered that they brought the refrigerator right up to my front door!!!

Despite being half - dead and hardly able to walk, I managed to drag the 100 lb. refrigerator into the house and maneuver it into the kitchen.

This was rather difficult, because the front part of the house is on a lower level than the back part where the kitchen is. It was unnerving trying to push 100 lbs. up to the kitchen - but I succeeded.

Well, was that more exciting than my Hollywood tales?

Probably. I can make anything sound exciting *smile*

Luv ya, Jon





20 comments:

  1. Well intentioned! Translation totally misguided and off their trolley!
    I'm glad it wasn't delivered to the end of the driveway. You have some grit, to wrangle that thing into place. I'm glad the nurse had some plan about the pipe. Full service nursing care! Your pipes and your house's pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid that the fridge would be delivered upside down at the end of the driveway. This FedEx driver must have been sober.
      I was surprised that I could wrangle that thing into the kitchen.
      Let's hope all my pipes get fixed.

      Delete
  2. I shuddered when I heard about your kitchen pipes. I've just got through 4 months of having basically no kitchen. There was a leak in a pipe and it destroyed all the cabinets on one side of the kitchen, buckled the wall and came out into the dining room and ruined some of the wood flooring. There were fights/waits with the insurance company and waiting for 2 months for the restoration co. They finally finished last Friday. OMG. This whole thing started April, 1st. I sure hope you can get those pipes under the house resolved. One of the plumbers that came during the water mitigation said he'd rather have his house burn down than deal with insurance companies with water damage. Good news with the refig. I wish they could find out what's causing these fevers of unknown origin?? Have you had blood cultures done?
    Anyway, Jon, best of luck with everything.
    Paranormal John
    PS I like hearing about your history/stories and past escapades. They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your water pipe incident was truly a nightmare. I'm glad that the worst is over.
      I initially thought it was a pipe in the wall, but there was no water leaking so I assume it's under the house.
      I had blood tests due to the fever, but they all came out good. It's a real puzzle.
      I can always count on you to appreciate my Hollywood stories. I should write a book - but more than half would be X rated.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this update, Jon. I've been thinking of you.
    That's pretty rotten about the pipes, too the unexplained fever. (Not necessarily in that order.) Yet, someone told me a long time ago to look for the joy -- no matter how hard it seems. When you least expect it, there come Boy Scouts disguised as a travelling nurse and a compassionate FedEx driver.

    PS - Have you a supply of clean empty bottles/Mason jars you might use to store drinking water? I saw something like that on Pinterest for emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fever admittedly scares me - - especially because no one can figure out why. My blood tests were all good.
      Sometimes it's difficult to look for the joy - - since it's often buried with the agony. But I'm truly greatful for helpful nurses and considerate FedEx drivers.

      I used to save water for emergencies, but I gave up...and now regretting it. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. This well-intentioned reader is interested in both the past and the present. It certainly is one problem after another on the house front. Hopefully Dusty finds someone to fix the water pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile when you mentioned well-intentioned. I love to talk about my past adventures - - my present life is mundane and filled with unpleasant problems. Writing about them is a beneficial emotional outlet.

      Delete
  5. It’s your blog write what you desire :)
    Love reading about your past adventures. I used to live in the OC and went to the Santa Ana Goodwill you worked at and other thrift stores many times. The thrift and antique stores around the Orange circle were the best.
    Now not so much.
    Sad to say the city of Orange is being ruined and made unaffordable due to gentrification. Chapman University is expanding and quiet buying real estate, driving up prices even more. Wait til that real estate bubble burst ! Those old craftsmen homes that were cheap in the 1970s now go for 1 million dollars !
    Sad to see Orange is no longer affordable for many, unlike the past.:( -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California has changed drastically since I lived there. I lived in many areas as a child - Pomona, Glendora, Covina, Corona. My parents lived in Anaheim for 15 years. I gave a few music concerts at Chapman University.
      The prices for houses are outrageous. When I was a kid you could get a gorgeous home for $50,000. Now they're worth millions.
      Southern Calif. truly was once a paradise. Nowadays I'd never return.
      I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  6. Wow! The fact that you managed to get that refrigerator into the house from the porch is quite the feat! But very worried about the water situation! Let us know what they find out and if they can fix it quickly. So glad you have a working frig again, though...and some extra freezer space. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd get that refrigerator inside, but I just kept pulling and pushing. My biggest fear was that it would topple over.
      Water pipes often freeze in the winter, but I never heard of one breaking in the summer. It's really strange.
      Sending a big "Meow" to Allie.

      Delete
  7. Leaky pipes and water are always a headache, even the smallest problem, we've had our share. Sorry that your fever returned it's a puzzling thing, hopefully it will stay at bay.
    Well done with manoeuvering the refrigerator into the kitchen, I'm sure a few cuss words were uttered 😁
    A week of rain... we'll be floating away before it's over.
    Stay well dear friend.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fever worries me. It comes on suddenly and vanishes in two or three days. Very weird.
      I've had water pipes freeze and burst in the winter, but it's unusual to have this happen in the summer. It's the last thing I ever expected.
      I should have cussed when I moved the fridge but I was too exhausted.
      Very little rain here, which is really unusual. The temperature is cooler.

      Delete
  8. Jon, your blog friends know by now that there is never "nothing" happening in your life and I mean that in the kindest way. The lack of water sounds like a dire condition because aside from none to drink, what about cooking, bathing, etc. so hope that Dusty can get someone to check the pipes for you. The fact that you were able to get the fridge into the house was amazing and thankfully the driver left it off on the porch. Please DO keep us posted shat happens next. And, glad that the unexplained fever subsided too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think my life is boring, but it seems like the home-front adventures never stop. I'm hoping the plumbing situation can be resolved soon. Fortunately the weather has cooled and it's very pleasant.
      I'm amazed that I tackled the refrigerator single handedly.

      BTW I liked your post about ice cream.

      Delete
  9. How on earth did you get that fridge inside?? I sure as hell couldn't have done that.
    I applaud you, and as a physician caution you from such activity in the future, lol.
    I am getting a glimpse of hopeful things in your post, Jon. Hope it's not my imagination.
    I'm sitting here, looking out the window watching low clouds blow in from the west, the Pacific. The promise of cooler temps has me in a better mood than the heat has brought.
    Do be careful with the paint and sealer if you re-do your kitchen...it's quite toxic as you know, and can affect breathing quickly. Use a respirator, please. Face masks won't do it.
    Hope you are well,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Mike. I'm feeling better lately. My blood pressure is normal without meds, the swelling in my legs isn't as severe as it used to be. I'll have another CT scan at the end of August, and an appointment with the oncologist on Sept. 3rd.
      Dancing with the refrigerator nearly killed me, but I was determined to do it myself without help.
      I'll open the back door when I do⁸ the kitchen floor.
      The weather has been beautiful - - sunny and in the 70s.
      Take care and enjoy your lovely weather.

      Delete
  10. Jon, why didn't they bring it inside?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jon, I love to read your posts regardless of the content. Why? Because I love your sense of humor and I love your style! Besides, I worry about you and it is always good to hear from you, my friend!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.