Saturday, January 6, 2018

LAYERS




On January 1st I watched the annual Tournament of Roses Parade from Pasadena, California (I no longer have TV but I get live stream).

The gorgeous, balmy Southern California sunshine evoked a surge of incredibly satisfying memories of the place where I was raised and lived for thirty years. I can't recall a New Year's Day that wasn't mild and perfect.

I sat here sipping hot tea and shivering in my frigid mountaintop Tennessee shack, knowing that my warm California memories linger in the unattainable realms of the distant past. But it's reassuring to know that New Year's Day in California still looks the same as I always remembered it.

The first week of 2018 here in the Tennessee wilderness has been way below freezing. Last night was minus two (below zero). The wind chill was minus ten. At least.

I layered myself in a ridiculous cocoon of defense against the cold: a t shirt, a henley, two sweat shirts, and a quilted shirt jacket (or whatever they're called). two pairs of pants. Two pairs of socks.  I'm still wearing them. I have more layers than a Viennese torte.

This isn't the first time I lived where winters are frigid. When I lived in the Missouri Ozarks there were days when the temp didn't get above zero. The windows and doors would freeze shut and I had to thaw them out with a hairdryer.
But I digress.

Did I ever mention that this is the dampest, coldest house I ever lived in? And my bedroom is the coldest room in the house. I had to close off the bathroom adjacent to my bedroom because it's coated in frost. I could store ice cream in there.


And as I laid in bed under five smothering blankets and two annoying cats, I reflected on the long journey that brought me from the paradise of California to the hellholes of everywhere else.

As my memory peeled back the layers of years, I realized that all the moves in my life were motivated by the common desperation of escape. Escape from bad situations. Escape from rotten climates. Most probably escape from myself.

My years in California were the golden ones - best of my life. Satisfyingly rich, fulfilling, rewarding......but also (later) wild, intensely destructive, and dangerous. There was a time when I thrived on danger and adventure.

My music career was soaring. I hobnobbed with the elite, met famous people, had a fantastic social life, and an even better love life (I'm not bragging, just saying...). 

Yet - despite the golden surface - I had a lot of dark layers: 
hidden demons, profound insecurities, enormous self-loathing. I masked it all with booze,  occasional drugs, rampant promiscuity.
I was (and probably still am) my own worst enemy.

I was at ebb tide, the brink of oblivion, when I left California. For many reasons, I decided it was time to leave, to shed my wild past.....

.....but the brutal truth is, you can never really escape yourself....or your problems.

There's nothing more annoying than a long, self-serving blog post - and that's what this is turning out to be. I'm mostly talking to myself. And remembering. Thinking.

So, what exactly were my many "escapes"? Where did I go after I left California?

How the hell did I get from the excitement of Hollywood and to a frigid shack in the Tennessee wilderness?

Some might wonder. Others don't care.
I might continue this in my next post.

Okay, it's a stupid header photo - but it's not easy to come up with anything "layered"
Me, in Hollywood, age early 20's. 




10 comments:

  1. My last move from Florida was an escape. Absolutely. Oh, there's nothing particularly wrong with the real estate or its citizens. But(!) I couldn't separate the astonishing amount of bad luck (much of it self-inflicted) from my surroundings.

    How foolish, the stars I had in my eyes as I crossed the border. It's high time the prodigal mother came home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief...how long does it take one to get into that many layers??? And you poor thing, if your place is so cold how do you take a shower? Mu guess is very quickly!!!! It's cold here too. I have my heat higher than normal, but still have tons of candles burning....looks like a séance is coming. I even have on pj bottoms and a cashmere sweater at night, which is a change from running around in undies.

    I look forward to the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, your personal essays are insightful and informative. My wandering years were in the '60s, Mexico (clear down to the pyramids), Canada (it was getting distinctly drafty here), lots of time in Oklahoma, Texas, Chicago (in '68, yes.) New York etc. Then I always returned to California. My friend Herbie asked me back then, "Do you know why all you progressives (his kind word for Nuts) always come back to California?" I said I didn't.
    He said, "Because if we went any further west we'd get wet."
    I miss Herbie. He had to go find work in SF because he called one of his disruptive students a dingleberry --which was a rare and justified departure from his usual gentle humor.

    Main thing is, you in your 20s in your Billy Jack hat, are not just looking into a camera lens. You're looking and smiling into the future. You are full of hope, positive vitality and admirable ambitions. Thank you for posting that "layered" photo. Never forget California. Never rule out returning. It's worth the cost so far --even though it consumes an inordinate chunk of my retirement to live here, I can see why so many pioneers did their darndest to reach it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, for what it's worth, I would love knowing the rest of the story. The bad thing about aging is we have more and more to look back on. The ones who can look back fondly, I find to be either oddballs or they got their happiness through others. Not themselves. I have run away from myself many times, but I always landed with myself still attached. That never makes for a happy landing. After being homesick for 8 years, my furbaby died and taught me that what matters is WHAT MATTERS TO YOU. And he mattered a lot more than location,location,location. In my childhood home, mom had to hang blankets on the archways to shut the rooms off from each other so that none of us frosted over. I never want to be cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i too watched the tournament of Roses Parade from Pasadena. but you have the memories to go with it. smart man. layers work when you're cold. your bathroom sounds frigid. too cold to pee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder and would like to hear. My many moves were because of life shifts--acquiring or shedding or fleeing lovers--leaving or starting jobs--trying to get out of a crappy, cheaper place to live I had to pick at the time and move into a nicer rental place--that kind of thing.

    In about 35 moves since I left home at 17 it was never really by free choice, you know. Till I moved up here to Fargo-Moorhead I had only lived in one place for three years at a time. Since 1999 it's been about 6, 10, and now 2+. Nice to not be moving as often--LOL! Why less moves? First I took men out of the equation in my life and then my health went down the toilet. I miss the better health, but I don't miss the men--ROFL! (I had no taste or luck with finding a good one.)

    From the sounds of it, I think you may have moved a lot for some of the same
    reasons I did. Including the men--hehe! But it seems to me you mentioned someone you really loved deeply and it sounded like a more positive relationship? Yup--I'd like to know if you ever decide to share.

    Your place sounds like it has little or no insulation. Have you had trouble with the pipes freezing? That's the pits to deal with. I can't remember if you have mentioned it. (First thing to go.)

    Stay warm and snuggled up!! This too shall pass. Love and hugs from Fargo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look into blown in insulation. I need it here but husband doesn't want it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've mentioned before that my parents wouldn't let me spend the night on Colorado Blvd. on New Year's Eve. It poured buckets the one time I was going to after leaving home. That would have been in '72 or '73. Saw the parade live lots of times.

    I absolutely hated Alaska when we moved here in '75, yet of five family members I'm the only one still here. I'd probably be okay with California if I'd never left. I think property costs and taxes make it pretty undesirable nowadays. Not to mention the drought and horrendous fires. No one thought I'd stick it out here because I was such a sun worshiper. (Baby oil for tanning, oh yeah) Alaska has probably kept me from developing skin cancer...


    ReplyDelete
  9. Jon, I totally get what you mean about escaping from the past. Some are given a good start in life - other folks are not.

    The saddest part about this truth is that very weird and wounded people are able to sense we are not "normal" and do their best to make themselves feel superior.

    I no longer welcome comments on my blog as a result. And if being normal means being cruel and crude, then I am happy to announce I am not normal.

    You are a very special and beautiful person: Keep on being honest and true (and you).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you had cat-induced router problem, but I'm glad you weren't able to delete this post. Your musings are always articulate, evocative, and interesting. Yes... we'd like to know more.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.