Monday, March 11, 2019

IN BLACK AND WHITE

I've done blog posts about my pen & inks in the past. In a (rare?) moment of shameless self-indulgence, I'm rehashing them again.

Art is definitely the least of my talents, but I've always enjoyed it. In my teens I painted many oil paintings (most of which are now lost).

Eventually I decided that oil painting was too messy and time-consuming. In my late teens and early 20's I switched mediums and started dabbling in pen and ink - which I found to be easier and more personally satisfying.

Soon I abandoned art completely in order to pursue music, writing, and unbridled debauchery.

A few days ago I was rummaging through the piles of things rotting away in the damp garage. While looking through a trunk, I was shocked to find a little box which contained the old pens and bottles of ink that I used for my drawings. I hadn't seen it in nearly thirty years.




Was this unexpected discovery a sign for me to resurrect my long-neglected artistic endeavors?
It's a thought....

....but with all the endless problems I have to deal with here in the wonderful wilderness, I doubt if I'll ever have any time for art. Or music. Or anything else.
Life is a Bitch.

Anyway, here's a small sample of my pen and ink endeavors.


I used to think raccoons were cute - until they started wrecking havoc with my house here in the woods.


I did this illustration (above) for one of my long-ago magazine articles in Good Old Days.

 I'm a notorious night owl, so it's no surprise that I've always liked owls.




Two of my earliest (and worst) sketches
(above and below)


Russian composer
Modest Mussorgsky (1839-1881)
I did this on nylon paper, which discolored over the years

A woodcut I did of the Titanic




 Cabin in the woods
(no, it's not my cabin...)

An antique piano

15 comments:

  1. love your artwork. i think coming across your old supplies is a sign for you to dabble in it once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised to find my old pens and ink - and I am definitely tempted to dabble again.

      Delete
  2. Drawings all nicely and carefully done, Jon. I hear there is a hemisphere of our brains that is primarily graphic in expression. That seems to be quite healthy and active in you. Let's keep drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo - there are hemispheres in my brain that I try to avoid altogether - - but my artistic inclinations keep resurfacing and are very tempting. Those bottles of ink still look useable after all these years.

      Delete
    2. Oops - "useable" should be spelled "usable"!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, what talent. I love your drawings and I hope that you will always treasure them. I have never heard of nylon paper. Is it a paper predominately used by artists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon paper is very thin but strong. It's often used for things such as Chinese lanterns. It's also used by artists...but usually not for pen and ink drawings. I was merely experimenting at the time.

      Delete
  4. I'm seriously in awe of your talents, Jon. Discovering that little box must have unleashed so many emotions! (I hope, entirely pleasant.) You call them 'worst', but my personal favorites are the millhouse and empty sailboat. Is your favorite among these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was genuinely surprised to discover my pen and ink supplies, since I had no idea they still existed. Everything is in good shape and still usable.

      It's nice (and encouraging) to know that your favorites are the two that I consider my worst. Just between you and me (*smile*) I am always FAR too self-critical. I should be thanking God for the talents I have.

      As for the sketches I've posted here, my favorites are probably the raccoon and the little cabin. On close inspection, the millhouse isn't too shabby....

      Delete
  5. Oh, it's a sign alright!! I LOVE your pen and ink sketches--wow! Creativity is food for the soul. Love to see what you do with your old supplies. A treasure box of goodies!! :) I am not familiar with nylon paper, but pens, inks, and nibs look familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years the bottles of ink still look good enough to use, and so do most of the pens. All I need to buy is some drawing paper.
      Nylon paper is thin but very strong. I wouldn't recommend it for drawing with ink (the surface of the paper is kinda slippery).

      Delete
  6. It is interesting that although this artwork was done long ago several drawings seem to be harbingers of your current life (cabin, raccoon, owl’. You work is very nicely detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. At the time I did these drawings I was studying music and spending lots of time in Los Angeles and Hollywood. I was always intrigued by the wilderness, but never dreamed that I'd eventually be living there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drawings are wonderful! I like all of them, but I've gotta admit, my favorite is the boat. It's very simple, but evocative. Have you ever tried your hand at water colors? You might enjoy that. I prefer oils, but I haven't dabbled in a long time. Watercolors are fun, too, especially for precise realistic-type pictures like you've created.

    YES, I think you should definitely put those pens and ink to good use. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I've never tried water colors (yet) but I'm very tempted to do more pen and inks. Art is always a relaxing endeavor.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.