Monday, January 20, 2020

DEEP FREEZE

 morning fog

In all my (many) years of blogging, I don't think I ever began a post with good news. It's beyond the realms of my pessimistic character.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, hang onto your wigs and dentures. I'm going to begin with some good news.

Now - for those two unhappy Bozos who abandoned my blog because I'm "depressing" - - aren't you ashamed of yourselves??

I fixed my furnace today! I finally have heat during the biggest cold front of the season! 

So, why the hell didn't you have heat, Jon?

Settle down, Kemosabe, and I'll tell my excruciatingly long tale of woe.


Several weeks ago my water heater and furnace stopped working - almost on the same day. It happened during a very mild spell, when the weather was unseasonably warm.

It also happened when I was having extremely bad health problems (and other negative issues). I wasn't in the mood to fix things.
I always attempt to fix things myself before calling for professional help.

The water heater needs a new thermostat. I'll buy one next time I go to town.
The furnace was a much bigger problem. Without going into long details, I was (VERY) afraid that it might start a fire.
So, instead of attempting to fix it, I simply procrastinated......

.......until a BIG cold front suddenly blew in last weekend. Strong icy winds arrived, and with it came a Big Power Outage (capitalized for emphasis).
The temperature dropped quickly and drastically.

Let me interrupt this breathtaking tale to say that my furnace and kitchen stove are powered by electricity.
So, I couldn't fix the furnace. And I couldn't cook a meal.

For the sake of gratuitous atmosphere, let me also say how INCREDIBLY DARK it is here in the wilderness at night with no electricity.

And while I'm on a roll, I want to reiterate the fact that this is the COLDEST house I ever lived in. It's like being in an igloo with the air conditioner on full blast.

On Sunday the daytime temperature outside was 18 degrees (Fahrenheit, for those of you in Uruguay). The thermometer inside the house read 20 degrees!

The power was finally restored around noon, but the furnace still wasn't working.

It was so cold that I could hardly function. I and my two cats went into my bedroom. I brought along two space heaters and an electric blanket - - and we hunkered down for the rest of the day...and night.

Sunday night the temperature dropped to 10 degrees F. and the back door was frozen shut. I had to keep getting up periodically to make sure the water pipes didn't freeze.
If it wasn't for the space heaters and electric blanket, I think my cats and I would have been dead (no lie).
Thank God there wasn't another power outage!! 

This post is getting too long.
I know you're riveted to your rockers with excitement and breathless anticipation......

.....but I'll be merciful and cut to the chase.

Late on Monday afternoon I finally fixed the furnace and heat was restored!!!
My intense jubilation knew no bounds.

Even my cats rejoiced - - once they started to thaw out.

I cooked a real meal on the stove and made a hot cup of tea. Then I (and the cats) crawled into bed and watched videos.

My problems aren't completely over, of course. I still have to fix the water heater, evict the wild animals that are nesting in the roof and under the house, cut the 15-foot-high brush that has completely overtaken my property, clean the endless piles of junk in the garage, work on my car to make sure it still runs, fix the broken latch on my mailbox, fix an improperly installed deadbolt on the front door (courtesy of the previous owners), and fix about a dozen things inside the house - -

- - - with my bad back, painful hip, injured knee, and irregular heart palpitations - - -

But hell, at least I've got heat.
I'm happy.

 

11 comments:

  1. I didn't for one minute think you were living in the lap of luxury but I can only imagine what a dreadful time you and pussy cats had with no heat. NO HEAT.... my mind boggles at the thought. I'm glad you are happy, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on the victory. heat at last. you and your kitties revel in the glory of it and furgetabout all the other headaches that need attention. I'm glad your house no longer feels like an "igloo with the air conditioner on full blast." RELISH this moment and slowly build upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was happy to read, Jon, that you and the kitties didn’t freeze and are still here, congrats on getting the furnace working and wondering what you had to do. Also if the water heater is still out does that mean lots of cold showers only? We are also having a cold snap, but then we live in New England so it’s sort of expected. The mid 60 temps of 2 weeks ago were just too warm for Jan. By the way, those who abandoned your blog will most likely not even have read this post of your success and jubilation, but the rest of us will and did.🍾

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rejoice! I'm more than a little in awe of your ability to actually trouble shoot and repair these catastrophic calamities. Can't help but wonder, did your father make time to teach you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One task done, 99 to go? At least it sounds like you accomplished the important one first. We had a ton of lake effect snow over the past few days and I couldn't start the snowblower, either manually or with the electric start. I ended up having to just push the snow with a shovel. When my spouse came home, he determined I'm too much of a weakling to pull the cord on the snowblower and I didn't hold the start button long enough for the electric to take. Hopefully, I can do it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing better than heat (and not being freezing); I strongly dislike power outages, although my gas fireplace still works, minus the blowers. I'm glad that things are somewhat positive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No heat and 20 degrees--OMG! I know how cold that is and that is horrendous! Soooo glad you got your heater working. I hope the water heater will work with a new thermostat and those two huge issues will be in your past. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm delighted for you, Jon. This is good news. I was worried about how you were going to make it through cold weather without a working furnace. It sure helps to be as handy as you are when it comes to repair jobs. You figure things out, so hats off to you for having some warmth again. The kitties must be thawed out and very appreciative of your efforts.

    We've also had a power outage due to strong winds - and boy did the house ever get cold in a hurry. I'm done with winter - yet we still have a ways to go.



    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallelujah for heat! My furnace quit this morning, but I called the repair man :-) couple of hours and we were in business again. Maybe tackle those other issues just one a week haha! You'll be finished by next New year maybe..sorry, I have an awful sense of humor. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can’t stop laughing at “hold on to your wigs and dentures”!!!!
    ♥️Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Big cheer for heat! And also on the bright side, sounds like you aren't going to be bored :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.