Wednesday, January 29, 2020

OLGA




Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna Romanov
(1882 - 1960)
The last Grand Duchess of the Imperial Russian Empire.

She was born into a world of unimaginable wealth and privilege - raised in a 500 room palace in Russia (one of several palaces that her family owned).

She died in a tiny apartment, upstairs above a barber shop in Toronto, Canada.


 Gatchina Palace
where she was raised

the apartment in Toronto
where she died in 1960

Olga's parents were Emperor Alexander III and Empress Marie of Russia. When her father died in 1894, her brother Nicholas became (the last) Emperor of Russia.
Her maternal grandparents were the king and queen of Denmark, her uncle and aunt were King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom, another uncle was King George I of Greece.

Despite her astounding royal lineage, Olga was never impressed by it. She intensely disliked the restrictions of royal protocol and always yearned for a simple life.


 Grand Duchess Olga

In 1901, when she was nineteen years old, Olga married Duke Peter Alexandrovich of Oldenburg - a family friend - simply to escape life at the palace and her dominating mother.
The Duke was nearly fifteen years older than Olga, a heavy drinker, an addicted gambler, and a homosexual. They essentially led separate lives and the marriage was never consummated.


Olga and the Duke of Oldenburg
1901

 
 At a royal military review in 1903, Olga was introduced to Nikolai Kulikovsky, a nobleman and military man. They fell passionately in love. Olga's husband knew about the relationship but refused to give his wife a divorce.

It wasn't until 1916 that Olga's brother, Emperor Nicholas II,  finally granted an annulment of the Oldenburg marriage. A few weeks later, Olga and Kulikovsky were married in a simple, private ceremony. They eventually had two sons - Tikhon in 1917 and Guri in 1919.

Olga and Nikolai Kulikovsky
 marriage in November, 1916

During World War I Olga found great satisfaction working as an army nurse and assisting in operations. The increasing chaos of the ongoing revolution, however,  made Russia an extremely dangerous place for the Imperial family. 

Olga's brother Emperor Nicholas II was imprisoned and executed - along with his wife Alexandra and their five children. Olga's brother Grand Duke Michael was also executed.

In 1917 Olga and her husband Nikolai managed to flee to the far regions of the Crimea, where they were still under the threat of assassination. They initially stayed at the home of Olga's brother-in-law, but all were under house arrest and sentenced to death. They were saved when German soldiers invaded the territory and overtook the revolutionary guards.

Despite the extreme dangers, Olga and her husband decided to stay in Russia where they remained hidden on a farm in the Caucasus until 1920. They were forced to flee again when the Bolsheviks overtook the area. After taking refuge at the Danish Counsel in Novorssiysk, Olga and her family were eventually transported to Denmark, where she had relatives. Olga's sister Xenia and their mother the Dowager Empress Marie also escaped to Denmark.

 Olga, Nikolai, and their two sons
in the 1920s

In 1928 Olga and her husband purchased a dairy farm near Copenhagen, where they lived peacefully until World War II. Neutral Denmark was occupied by the Germans during the war, causing food shortages and many inconveniences.

After the war, Olga was threatened by the Soviet government because of her anti-communism sentiments and accused of helping Russian emigres in Denmark. Fearing that she would be forcibly returned to the Soviet Union, she and her husband and sons fled to the safety of Canada in 1948.
They lived on a small farm in Ontario where they finally found peace. 
Olga's husband Nikolai Kulikovsky died in 1958. 
Unable to maintain the upkeep of the farm, Olga relied on the help of friends. She died in a friend's tiny apartment in 1960.

The Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna Romanov never forgot Russia or her royal heritage, but she fully embraced her simple life and always insisted on being called Mrs. Kulikovsky. She left the grandeur of her life in Russia with little more than the clothes on her back, but never complained about the many indignities that she suffered. She was humble, kind, optimistic, and always kept her faith in God.

Olga's great passion throughout her life was art, and she began drawing and painting when she was a small child. Later, painting was her solace and obsession, which inevitably helped her get through difficult times. Her preferred medium was watercolors and her greatest inspiration was the beauty of nature. 
She often sold her paintings to supplement the family income and continued painting until her death at age 78.  

    Olga in Canada

 watercolor by Olga

Note:
My main objective in writing this post was to feature Olga's paintings - but (as usual) the post became MUCH too long.  I'll include some of her art in my next post.      Jon 

18 comments:

  1. In a word? Fascinating! Honestly, I didn't expect it to be so … but you had me at "500-room palace." Even at her wedding to Nicolai, the poor soul looks desperately unhappy. How fortunate (that) she was able to find a measure of peace through painting.

    PS - Now I've got to investiGoogle what became of her two sons. Tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga did eventually find peace - and I honestly think she was relieved to abandon the burden of a royal existence. I know that both her sons married Danish women and they all came to Canada. I'll have to do more research to find out what became of them...

      Delete
  2. She got what she asked for in living away from the royal trappings. Absolutely gorgeous artwork!! I am glad she found peace and had a family with a man she loved. I bet she died content with her life. Will love to see more of her amazing watercolors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she was genuinely relieved to abandon royal life - and she finally married the man she loved. I'll have more of her beautiful watercolors in my next post.

      Delete
  3. I read a delightful novel about a Russian Count under house arrest in a hotel entitled, 'A Gentleman In Moscow.' That painting is marvelous, especially considering the unforgiving medium of watercolor! I look forward to more and thank you for the story behind the artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post about Olga was much longer than intended, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I never heard of the novel you mentioned but it does sound like an interesting read.
      And you're right - it's difficult to paint with watercolors (I can attest to this firsthand).

      Delete
  4. Hi Jon - great post ! I was first introduced to the Romanov family in Germany during a history class. From there I became fascinated with their lives, especially with Olga. I gobbled up every piece of literature I could find on her.

    She was truly a remarkable woman who led a hard life, yet she endured through her love of family and most certainly the solace she found in painting ... and what magnificent artwork she produced !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hesitant to post this due to the length, but I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I knew nothing about the Romanovs or Russia until I was sixteen. That's when I read the book "Nicholas and Alexandra" and I was fascinated.
      I later studied Russian music in college and performed a lot of it.

      I'll have more of Olga's beautiful paintings in my next post (soon).

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed this post, Jon, so it wasn't too long as you suspected. Sad about Olga's brother and his family. Many years ago I recall reading a book about that part of the family, but I didn't know about his surviving sister and her family. Thanks for the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to know it wasn't too long - I was afraid some people might find it boring. It's astounding to think that Olga came from one of the wealthiest families on earth and she was forced to leave Russia with absolutely nothing.

      Many of her relatives were executed. So far as I know, only her mother the Dowager Empress and her sister Xenia escaped.

      Delete
  6. what a sad story. she is a interesting lady, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Olga was initially from one of the wealthiest families in the world, it's amazing how well she adjusted to a very simple life. She obviously preferred it. At least she found peace.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Many thanks for taking the time to read it!

      Delete
  8. What a read that was. Excellent, Jon. What a terrific lady, and Oh how she must have suffered with all those moves. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Valerie. Olga suffered many more injustices than I mentioned. Her resilience and positive attitude are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nuh-uh! This wasn't too long. When you mentioned her love of art, I was anticipating seeing some examples. The one you shared is fabulous, but I'm looking forward to seeing some more. Hers was an interesting story, and you told it well. As far as I know, there isn't a drop of royal blood in my body, but if there were, I'd be with Olga. I'd pick a simple life over one of royalty any day. Not that "royalty" would want me... they probably frown upon anyone who thinks fart noises are funny. :)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote of confidence on this rather-long post. I'm slow in getting to part two (with the art) but I'll post it later today (it's Saturday). I agree that I prefer a simple life. Living in a 500 room palace would drive me nuts.
      And it would be impossible to heat....

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.