Monday, March 9, 2020

BETWEEN THE RAIN



I'm starting to bore myself with these inane blog posts. How many times can I creatively unleash my complaints....and how many times can I include photos of the damn forest?

The temptation to write about topical subjects is extremely appealing, but it will inevitably anger some people and make enemies. Despite the fact that my personal opinions are usually right on target. 

I will mention the infuriating inconvenience of Daylight Saving Time.
This biannual compulsory ritual of changing the clocks is one of the most worthless and unnecessary things ever devised.
For the past few years I have adamantly refused to change any of my clocks. I don't give a royal crap if it's Daylight Saving Time or Lilac Time. 

I recently injured my right shoulder, which makes it extremely painful to move my arm and nearly impossible to type. I'm typing slowly with one finger.
This recent malady is in concert with my bad back, agonizing knee, and painful hip.
I'm falling apart twenty years sooner than my parents did.....and it's disconcerting, to say the least.

What's this about "Between the Rain?"


Well, we had a beautiful weekend - sandwiched between all the rain storms.
Mild, clear, lovely. With a tauntingly delicious hint of spring.
The full moon was gorgeous last night - drenching everything in an ethereal silvery glow.

At twilight the white-tail deer appeared near the back porch again, but I wasn't able to get a photo. I wish he'd show up in daylight, but his evening appearances are magical. 

Today (Monday) is still mild, but overcast and very balmy, with a steady wind. When I close my eyes, the sound of the wind rushing through the forest reminds me of restless ocean waves.
More rain is expected tonight.

My forest photos are probably boring and annoyingly similar. 
I never venture far to take photos. I simply step outside and photograph whatever is near the house.

These were all taken yesterday (Sunday). 

 The frosted glass in the front door.
Bosco jumped up on a nearby table and I snapped a pic of his profile. 

The back yard forest in the unflattering glare of daylight

The first butterfly I've seen this season

The nearby mountain seen from the front yard. When the leaves appear on the trees it will be completely obscured. 

 In early evening the trees are aglow with light from the setting sun










Note
I always like to respond to your comments but I won't this time because of the pain in my shoulder and arm.

12 comments:

  1. Jon, I enjoy the forest shots and wouldn't be concerned about boring folks with them, After all they don't have to look. I'm sure that my photos of the Nashua River from our apt might have also gotten monotonous. Alas, those views won't be as colorful or scenic because of a river clearing project that effectively cut down most of the overgrowth and the trees as well. It looks rather dismal now, so I will have to find better-looking views myself. Glad you had a bit of nice weather in between the rain. it was nearly spring here in NH with mid-60s and bright sunshine all day. I agree the setting back and setting ahead of clocks is absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you refusing to change clocks. (*Chuckling*) Well, why not? They're right half the year; and I don't suppose the kitties mind. Yours is a beautiful front door, and that's a really cool profile pix of Bosco. We're supposed to get more rain (grumble) beginning tomorrow, but I'll do my best to shoo it southeast, away from Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mourning cloak is the butterfly. They overwinter as adults, so they are usually the first butters to appear. ( My inner Butterfly geek is coming out....) Cool picsk. At leas you have a litle green to brag about. ( Foliage... that is. Wouldn't it be nice it "green" meant money or something...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon- I appreciate your photos and look forward to your posts. I am ready for warm and dry weather. But this is Tennessee after all, so we'll probably have snow in May!! I hate the time changing, it's dreadful to live with. If possible I'd do just what you do, leave them as they are!!I hope you feel better soon. Good night Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so sorry to hear about your shoulder. combined with your other problems i know the pain you are in. like you, i know my physical age, but i feel like i'm over 100. i have definitely not aged well, myself. i must admit that you captured my attention when you brought up the sound of wind rushing through the forest. you spoke my language when you compared it to the ocean waves. having grown up on the east coast and being near the ocean. that is indeed what it sounds like. as always your pictures are magical. i love the sunset. ps) that deer visiting you late at night is a good omen. i'm glad it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photographs are NOT boring. You live in a beautiful place and I for one like reading about it.
    Sorry to heat about your pain, would it help to know I share it. My back is a killer.
    Cheers, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't find your photos boring at all. Soon leaves will appear and the mountain will be hidden. I love the way the sunset colors the tree branches. I wish you felt better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the pain in your shoulder gets to feeling better soon.

    I always enjoy the photographs of your woods. I have two mysteries about your pics today, though. Maybe this only shows on my computer. In the picture that is next from last, where there is a very dark foreground, I am seeing two tiny bluish green spots and one red one. They are very small. At first I thought something was on my screen. I enlarged the pic and they are still there. I thought maybe they were animal eyes reflecting back into the camera. Then in the final picture where the sun is setting through the trees and is very low, there is one medium sized red dot in the trees and one smaller green dot on a tree limb. I used to read another blogger who called those types of lights orbs, I don't know about that, but I wonder if anyone else saw them on their computers, or was it just me and this computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful photos! I do love trees, blue sky and light. :) Your shoulder sounds painful, and like a PITA as far as getting anything done. I would LOVE to get rid of the time changes which I find annoying and maddening. I'll get to do it when I return home from Cincinnati and New York because I forgot to change all my clocks before I left. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon, beautiful photos. I especially like the one of Bosco at the door (has all the right visual elements for a painting). As for the "orbs" Susie describes in the closing photo, I have seen these also. As a self-trained meteorologist married to a photographer, I identify them as SLLFs (spectral luminescent lens refractions). What the big yeller blazing ball to the right is, I have no idea. Run!

    ReplyDelete
  11. UGH. Sorry to hear about the shoulder pain. Take care of yourself, cowboy.

    No, your pics are never boring. Even better than your pictures, though, are the lyrical descriptions you share with us. You make us see what you see and feel what you feel. Kinda. We can only empathize with your pains.

    You didn't comment on the ragtime arrangement of "Ode to Joy." I don't know if that's because you didn't listen to it, or because you didn't like it... :) Somehow, I can imagine you playing ragtime music...

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.