Sunday, November 15, 2020

ANGEL FOOD

 


 

 Every once in a rare while I'm pleasantly surprised. The other night I found some piano tapes that I didn't remember recording. I had completely forgotten about the Angel Food Rag and was delighted to hear it again.

So (of course) I decided to make it into a video. The BIG problem was - what the heck kind of visuals can I use for the subject of angel food?

I initially tried an angel theme, but it bombed Big Time. Angels and heavenly vestals don't exactly go with ragtime music - so I incorporated the tried-and-true theme of cartoon animals. I think it worked out reasonably well.

The Angel Food Rag was written by Al Marzian. Biographical information about this composer is very scarce, but I found out a few things.

Al Marzian

Albert Frederick Marzian (1875 - 1947) was born in Russia but his parents were German. The family moved to America when he was thirteen.

Albert and his brother Alfred (a professional cellist) were involved with the Louisville Symphony Orchestra in Kentucky, and Albert eventually became conductor there.

Albert later ran a music store in Albany, Indiana, was part-owner of a music publishing company in Louisville, and was also a conductor and arranger in local musical theater.

Since Al Marzian didn't particularly want to be associated with ragtime music, he used the pseudonym Mark Janza on some of his compositions (such as the Lion Tamer Rag). He also supposedly made some piano rolls under the name Silvio Marzini.

Anyway, I think the Angel Food Rag is a great ragtime composition and it's fun to perform.

Change of subject -

there was a HUGE windstorm here last night, which toppled some nearby trees - - but thankfully none on my property.


video best viewed full screen


6 comments:

  1. Thank you Jon. That was really fun to listen to, and the video compilation had so many old time cartoon and animal pics that I had to go through and listen to it three times. The cute cat pictures, and the piano playing dog with the other dog dancing were perfect for the song, and so were the cartoon images you used. A real mood lifter at the end of my un-fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad to see the old black and white cartoons on your video because when I hear these old-time rag tunes I automatically think of the old cartoons. They were used so often in cartoons and in the old silent movies, too. That was fun! Glad no trees went down on your property. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was SO delightful, Jon. Just what I needed this morning to counter my Monday-from-Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so fun - and the video was purfect! I so enjoy when you share these with us!

    Yes, yesterday we had a horrible bad storm - lots of damage in my area but we were lucky that we only lost internet and nothing else! Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always a pleasure to see and hear your videos. Thank-you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made some great choices, Jon, and it was not only to listen to a joyful tune but to see the often cute images, and those classic b&w pics too. Thanks also for the background info on the composition’s composer, who admittedly I had not heard of before reading. BTW thanks for the comment on my cemetery walk, glad to know others share my enthusiasm for these places.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.