Wednesday, August 18, 2021

MORE EXPLOSIONS

 


 

Those people who faithfully read my blog (all two of you) probably remember my post about the exploding biscuits. I'm talking about those inexpensive, easy-to-make cans of biscuit dough that you pop in the oven. I make them quite frequently.

The biscuit cans that I bought kept inexplicably exploding before I used them. Some of the cans were (slightly) out-dated, which I attributed to the volatile outbursts. 

SO - - -
I've lately been extremely cautious about out-dated cans. I check the dates carefully and use the biscuits before they expire.

All the cans in my refrigerator presently have late September (2021) expiration dates.

Imagine my surprise the other night when I heard a loud POW in the refrigerator. A can of biscuits exploded. A few hours later another can blew.


 

I generally don't scare easily, but these things are dangerous - and it's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to touch them.

I can't change brands, because the local supermarket here in Nowhereland only carries one brand (Save-a-Lot Supermarket only carries their brand of products - - there is no other choice - - it's kinda like living in the old Soviet Union). 

Thought about writing a letter to the company but I'm definitely not in the mood.

Thought about abstaining from cheap canned biscuits, but I'm a masochist.

There's no plausible resolution to this doughy tale of woe.

My life is presently an intricate network of perpetual unpleasantness -

ill health, mechanical malfunctions in the house, 15-foot-high "weeds" outside (NO exaggeration), wild animals nesting in the roof, mice, snakes, gnats, flies....I won't bother to mention the really bad stuff.

Am I complaining?
Naw, I'm singing a Happy Song. I'd get up and do a Happy Dance but my back hurts too much.

I desperately need to make an excursion to town. It was much too hot to go last week. Bringing frozen groceries home six zillion miles in a 250 degree car isn't a pleasant prospect.

This week there's been nothing but rain. Rain.
So I procrastinate. Repeatedly.
Maybe I'll go tomorrow. 

Rodents, anyone?

The mice finally got into my precious piano manuscripts. I couldn't believe it.

The cursed bastards have eaten through the Anton Rubinstein D minor Piano Concerto that I performed with orchestra in Los Angeles when I was twenty. 

Is nothing sacred?


 


Thank goodness I have two copies of this concerto.

This seems trivial to you.
It means a helluva lot to me.

Want some homemade wine, anyone?
And exploding biscuits.........??

 

Note:
The comment reply "thingie" isn't working on my blog, so I can't respond to your comments. I'll try again later.
This has happened several previous times.

6 comments:

  1. look in freezer section of store for bags of frozen biscuits. usually 12 in bag. i buy them all the time. just as good, and can only cook 1 or 2, as u want, instead of the whole can at once.
    i keep cooler in car for frozen/refrigerater stuff on the long way home from store.
    may be good idea to put thermometer in fridge to see if temps above 40. warmer could cause explosions

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need an ice chest to put in your car for frozen stuff. When we drive 25 miles to Blue Springs, where there are better stores, we always take an ice chest.

    When my parents moved to the city they discovered canned biscuits, and that's all my dad ever had for breakfast from then on, unless we had company staying for breakfast. He'd usually eat five or six of those with butter, sometimes jelly too. That's all he wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those explosions would scare the wits out of me! Ron's was a great idea about bringing a cooler along in the car. Maybe you could simply send the store manager a link to this blog? I hate you don't have that many venues to choose from.

    Hopefully the 'highbrow' scores (jk!) will have given the mice a headache and they won't bother them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also had an unexpired can of biscuits explode this week, and also a store brand, although not the same store as yours😕 It is not trivial in the least to be upset that the mice gnawed your piano manuscripts and they should all be strung up by piano strings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking along the same lines as fellow commenter Ron, when he mentioned the temp in the refrigerator should be below 40. Possibly you somehow bumped your temperature adjustment switch and it is set a little too warm.

    I also find that things I store on the shelves of the door of the fridge go bad faster than they should--thinking about the shredded cheddar cheese I recently spread on a casserole and then got down to the bottom of the bag and discovered ugly, slime mold and then I had to go back and pick all of the shredded cheddar I had put on the "cusserole" off of it. I picked off cheese shreds for more than 15 minutes. We like finely shredded, so it was an extra challenge. The whole time our 17 year old limping, pitiful little Pomeranian was underfoot aggravating me. He had suddenly sprung into action searching for any moldy shreds he could find that hit the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wine goes good with anything! Including Biscuits!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.