Friday, August 27, 2021

WINDING DOWN

 

 

 

Lazy, yawning August is winding down with only a few days left. The sultry summer days have tumbled away so quickly that I hardly had time to notice them.

August, September, October. These have always been my favorite months, my favorite time of year.
Perhaps I like August because I have many good memories associated with it. But there are also other reasons:
It is a languid, indifferent month -  seemingly tired of summer and waiting in anticipation of an inevitable change. Almost imperceptibly the days are slightly shorter, the light is subtly changing, shadows are growing longer. The weather is still hot but listless, shrugging with the knowledge that autumn waits on the horizon.

As I drink soothing glasses of amber iced tea, while reading old books of ghost stories - the distant rumble of thunder assures an awaiting bout of rain will eventually arrive. An unexpected breath of welcomed air rushes through the open window with a hint of life and a soothing scent of moisture. And I'm suddenly thinking of ripe pumpkins, intoxicating displays of autumn leaves, and spirits wandering in October realms.

Excuse me. I'm in a poetic mode. My sweet, romantic side is showing.

You didn't think I had one, did you?

I drove to town a few days ago. Wednesday? I can't remember. Had to buy an enormous supply of stuff, but didn't get nearly everything.

Cat complications.

I always feed my cats dry food, but also frequently give them canned food for variety and sort of a "snack". Bosco likes Friskies and Kitzee will only eat Meow Mix.
So I stock up on the canned cat food at Walmart. I bought a lot of it this time.
And......
when I got home the canned cat food wasn't in the car. It vanished. Must have been left at Walmart - thanks to the flustered, slightly confused female cashier wearing the frumpy plague mask.

This has happened to me at Walmart at least half a dozen times.

Why didn't you drive back and get the cat food, Jon?

Listen, comrade - the drive to town is so traumatic that it always takes two weeks for me to recover.
I wouldn't drive twice in one day if Jesus was in the Walmart parking lot handing out free tickets to heaven.

You gotta admit -
I'm dang funny even when I'm angry and frustrated. It's a gift.

Maybe I'll go again next week. If I drink enough homemade wine.

Photos, anyone?
Summer is a very boring time to take photos on my property. There's absolutely nothing interesting to see, especially when I only take pictures from the porch.

These pics taken yesterday and today.


Front "yard"

Weird -  spider hanging from a very thin web on the front porch. 

The goldenrods are everywhere, but they don't look very bright or robust this year.



That one tree (near my garage) seems to have lost its leaves permanently. 

A flurry of clouds
I knew that would impress you.

This is the kind of crap I have to start cutting down. It will take years........
(photo from back "yard")
 

I have separate food and water dishes for Kitzee (left) and Bosco (right), which I keep in different rooms.
Years ago, Kitzee used to get furious if Bosco came anywhere near her food. Now, she lets him eat out of her dish!
(that thing in back of them is a bookcase).

  

10 comments:

  1. Well, when yo put it like that....
    August, I mean. My most wretched of the 12. I don't know what's going on, but the spiders are working overtime, weaving these huge webs in the trees. Tom didn't think it was a big deal, but to me they look like something out of Sleepy Hollow. Took the rake to one yesterday and nearly dislocated my shoulder.

    I hope you weren't charged for the kitties' food, Jon. Did you call the store so they can put it back until next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spiders seem to be working overtime here, too. I think they have a secret plan.... I was angry over the missing cat food but I'm too tired to deal with it. I'll just call it an unfortunate loss and go shopping again next week. There are lots of things I still need to buy.

      I think my recent political posts inspired everyone to abandon ship. You're the only brave sailor left.

      Delete
  2. First, you are wrong, Jon, Melvely isn’t your only reader as your recent posts did not cause me either to “abandon ship.” The way I see it, it’s your blog and as such you are free to post whatever you want. If it’s not to everyone’s liking, so be it, and besides you didn’t ask for comments, a wise move to avoid trolls.

    Your jungle always looks nicer in autumn, also my favorite season. We have been getting spiders on our window screens, which is odd as we’re on the 5th floor of a brick mill apt.

    Sorry the kitties food went AWOL and the advice about contacting WM was good because you may get a credit for your return trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, it would be a wonderful world if everybody thought as logically as you do. Most of my political posts are "over the top", so I think it's best to avoid comments.

      It's really odd that you're getting spiders on your windows when you are five stories up (in a brick building). How on earth do they get there?

      I usually call Walmart when I have missing items, but this time I think I'll just skip it.

      Delete
    2. Jon, apparently spiders can be found on many buildings taller than where we live. Several online articles noted they have been spotted on skyscrapers! Here’s a story about them on Chicago skyscrapers: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160519/downtown/why-are-spiders-spinning-webs-on-chicagos-tallest-buildings/

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing the article. It was fascinating but also unnerving. It seems like there's no escape from spiders. Perhaps the North Pole??

      Delete
  3. We have our share of thousand-leggers (HATE THOSE UGLY-ASS THINGS) and spiders as well in our basement. Usually when they manage to make their way upstairs the cats think they are toys and chase them.

    Our eldest kitty Sir Leo has mellowed a lot as well - he actually embraced Ginger when we brought her in as a kitten - I was shocked!

    BTW, if you get a chance please check your email - I had to share something with you lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any thousand leggers since I lived in the Missouri Ozarks. My cats like to chase moths and lizards. I always rescue the lizards because I like them. I really hate spiders.

      My cat Kitzee hated Bosco when I first brought him into the house (she's nine years older than him) but now she has mellowed and usually enjoys his company.
      I'll check my email.

      Delete
  4. I know the feeling when you "miss" something from the store. I , unfortunately, am the kind of person who will DRIVE BACK IMMEDIATELY! it is a CURSE that Cheryl occasionally can talk me out of. My theory is that the cashier will go home and "forget" that the bag of goodies that were left behind belong to "that guy" who was in a hurry to get out of the store. As if he/she/it will ever remember me to begin with. ( because I'm just so memorable from the hundreds of other customers...) Hats off that your anger or "weakness" keeps you from doing something as foolish as driving back to a store that is a million miles away.. Just to salvage a bag of cat food from being tossed into the "Lost and Found" bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I quickly drove back to Walmart was when they forgot to pack the ham and salami I got from the deli. I really wanted it. The cat food wasn't expensive, so I figured it wasn't worth all the trouble. I'll probably go shopping again some time this week.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.