Friday, January 21, 2022

MUDDLED FRAGMENTS

 Too cold to write. My mind is a distortion of muddled fragments. My soul is lost somewhere in a netherworld of fractured ice.

Bleak, sunless, mist-shrouded days that shiver with winter's wicked breath. Frigid nights that tremble with the death howl of icy winds.
This is my existence.

Tonight will be brutally cold. Near zero. That's brutally cold for Tennessee. That's brutally cold for fools like myself who live in the wilderness in flimsy houses with no insulation and non-working furnaces. If there are no power outages I'll be all right. If there's a power outage tonight..........sayonara!

The most disturbing part is that no one will miss me. Not a goddamn soul.
Am I being over-dramatic?
Not in the least.

Here's my latest act of idiocy.

When I went shopping in town last week, I left some of the newly-acquired supplies in the car, because I was too lazy to drag them up the hill into the house.

Yesterday I finally decided to retrieve them and - - - drum roll here to intensify the suspense....

the doors and trunk of the car were frozen shut! There was absolutely no way to get them open.
So, I'll have to wait until things thaw out.
Which might not be until June or July. 

Another thing happened when I went to town last week. I thought I lost three hundred dollars. I had three hundred bucks (cash) in an envelope and couldn't find it anywhere. I figured it was lost forever.

Then - two days later - I found it at home, on the floor, behind a shelf. It somehow must have fallen off the shelf.
Anyway, it was a rare happy ending.

I'm glad the mice didn't find it, or they would have used it to make a nest. 

What? No photos??

There was a very rare sunny day about a week ago (maybe less than a week - - I can't remember). I took a few photos.

 




10 comments:

  1. Boiling water opens frozen doors. I wish I had known this before breaking the handle off the old Ford Pinto. But lugging hot water down hill through snow ( I don't know the distance from house to frozen car) might not be feasible. Then again... 3 months to Spring? Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh no on the frozen locks! Do you, perhaps, have a long extension cord and a hand-held blow dryer?
    Your photos pretty well portray the way my heart's been feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way too cold! Pretty snow pictures though. Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frozen door locks on cars--awk! One place I worked the graveyard shift where my car had to sit outside overnight it was a common occurrence for some reason. I remember using hot water and later I had a can of some kind of deicer spray that I kept in my purse. I haven't driven for a long time (couldn't afford a car) and I must admit I do not miss winter driving.

    I pray you have no outages! You really need your furnace fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting on my blog Jon and for your concern! A frozen solid car is something I have never experienced. I sure hope there was nothing perishable inside. And I cannot imagine how you live without a working furnace - though I guess lots of sweaters helps. Your photos are truly magical, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you mean, Jon, by writing that "no one will miss me" because you are most certainly wrong. of course, you will be missed by your blog friends. I would be willing to give odds that any one who lived closer to your area would be willing to help in whatever way possible. It is upsetting to read about the non-working furnace, the frozen car doors and other mishaps. The very good news was finding the money had been "lost" within your home.

    I read the suggestions about trying to unfreeze frozen locks and am not entirely sure either would work. I would fear falling with a bucket of hot water and electrocuting myself with a hairdryer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jon, Hope this will be helpful. It gets nowhere near zero here but it does descend to freezing at 30 degrees and lower at night. Most groceries shouldn't decay much in a car that's colder than your fridge. However, be careful and let your sense of smell preside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes this cold crap sucks and I am with you, Jon - if I could find a place to live with ONLY SPRING AND FALL, baby, I am THERE!!

    Stay safe and warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. be careful with boiling water and car windows. the hot water can break the glass.
    as i found out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. frozen locks are the worst. glad you found the cash. a welcome surprise, for sure. sometimes the universe gives us a gift. stay warm.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.