Friday, June 17, 2022

FATHER'S DAY

 



When I was a small child, I was in absolute awe at how fathers were portrayed on television. Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show.

These fathers were permanently attired in suits and ties (it was never revealed specifically what type of jobs they had). They were kind, understanding, loving, easily accessible, with indefatigable energy, and wisdom that could rival that of King Solomon.

In stark contrast, my own father drank copious amounts of beer, blew farts, beat me with a belt, and called me a "stupid jackass" (which was one of the nicest terms he endeared me with).
I had an incredibly difficult time believing that sane, rational men really existed.

The TV fathers, of course, were creations of Hollywood hype and had little semblance with reality. But one thing was certain - -
at that time men were respected, regarded as the head of the household, and essential to
 the foundation of the family unit.

How drastically times have changed.


I have no doubt that Father's Day would be completely eliminated nowadays if it wasn't for the fact that it's still moderately commercially lucrative.
Buy dear ol' Dad a tie, a power saw, or at least an obligatory greeting card.

Unfortunately, the role of the American male has been radically diminished over the past fifty years - and lately there has been a forcefully zealous woke campaign to discount, denigrate, emasculate, and feminize men.

Let's face the raw facts: society/culture no longer views men as necessary or desirable components in the cycle of life. The male animal doesn't fit into the politically correct agenda. The general consensus is that men are no longer needed or wanted.

The role of men has been completely discounted in the media, academia, and entertainment. They are most often vilified, ridiculed, dismissed, and.......hated. Especially white, successful, heterosexual American men.

One only has to watch commercials on TV to see how very often white men are presented as bumbling buffoons. You couldn't get away with doing that to a woman or a minority - who are generally portrayed as being perfect.

The radical expunging of masculinity probably began in the late '60s and culminated in the early 70s with the "I am woman, hear me roar" mantra. Single women sought power and reigned supreme -   white men were quickly demoted into odious buffoons like Archie Bunker and Al Bundy.

As if this sarcastic demotion couldn't get worse - - Caucasian  men are now generally portrayed as white supremacists, racists, warmongers, and evil entities who have long been intent on destroying the world and everything in it.

Terms such as "Single Mother" are glorified and worn as a badge of honor - as if a man was never involved in the preliminary process.
There's certainly nothing wrong with being a single mother, but somewhere along the line sperm was a contributing factor. 

The term "stay-at-home dad" doesn't have the power or prestige that "Single Mother" does. It snidely indicates that the man is a weakling and a wimp, submissive to the Alpha Woman.

I'm fully aware that many (and I mean many) men are far from being exemplary role models and many more aren't worthy of being fathers. 

I'm merely irked (outraged, really) at the current war against white men. And - despite what you might think - that's not an exaggeration. It is definitely a war.

It's very probable that society's disdain and discounting of men in general has induced some of them to simply sigh and give up.

I'm hoping against hope that this is not true.


Jon
never wanted to be a father
proud to be a Caucasian male
fiercely anti-woke


(I wrote this several years ago, but revised it slightly for this post)


13 comments:

  1. Oh, I miss Father Knows Best and that ilk. Someone sure needed to say this! I'm glad you did. Underlining and italics ... you go, Jon!
    I enjoy being a girl - and being treated as such by a man who enjoys being a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... I didn't realize Blogger deemed me Anonymous. *sigh* This is Myra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially didn't know you were "anonymous". Blogger is sure doing a good job of messing up our comments lately.

      Delete
  3. Great Post! I have been looking forward to this post for a couple days now, Blogger said it was "unavailable" So I'm glad it is finally up. Thankfully, I had one of those awesome Dads who took us fishing and played ball with us outside. HE had to work a lot and usually far away when he did. My mother was quick to blame dad for everything. But we kids knew better. Dad was the sole bread winner, and did it without complaining. A society that is not grateful to that level of sacrifice is not going to be worthy for very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always hesitant to unleash my "opinionated" posts - - but , heck, I'm always right (*smile*). You were very fortunate to have a normal, nurturing father. It took many very long and painful years for me to unravel the emotional damage my father did to me.

      Delete
  4. Not all memories of fathers are good. i'm sorry for all the hurt you suffered as you grew up. today has to be difficult for you. I have painful experiences too. But i forgave and moved on. Take care. PS) i liked having my car door opened, way back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I harbored an enormous amount of hate and resentment for a long time. I eventually learned to forgive - which wasn't easy - but it's a beneficial release. My father had a tough life - but he never grew up emotionally. He channeled all his hate and frustrations onto my mother and I.
      Anyway, thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. RIGHT ON, JON- you said it perfectly!!! I was very fortunate to be blessed with a wonderful father - his father was a drunken SOB who used to beat him for NO reason what-so-ever.

    And as far as feminism - I have NEVER been a feminist and they can have that crap as far as I am concerned. "THEY" do NOT speak for ME! Thank you for this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of those rare independent thinkers, who relies on your own intuition instead of on the influence of others. Thanks, Kim!

      Delete
  6. I'm anonymous Louise again.... I'm so glad that someone else in my world thinks this... thank you for posting it. As you already know, in our area of the world this is very true. If anything like this is stated for "some" to read we would be labeled- as you stated- a racist white supremacist. That's for putting my thoughts in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, we are living in dangerous times. Thanks to the liberals, our country is becoming very similar to Nazi Germany. It's getting to the point that we are afraid to speak the truth. I often keep my opinions to myself, but many times I feel a burning need to unleash my thoughts. I'm glad that some people (like yourself) agree with me. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Jon, it's not only the dads in the 1950s shows you mentioned, but also the moms who were dressed as if they were going out to lunch and wearing pearls as well. My late father and mother were nothing like that and I never wanted them to be so unrealistic. My parents were hardworking as the result of being children of immigrants. There was never any abuse in our home, there was however some yelling at times. I can understand how this recent holiday was not a cause for you to revel in happy memories of your father. And I agree that there does seem to be an ongoing rage against men not of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents were inevitably portrayed as perfect in Hollywood - - something that was unrealistic and unattainable in grim reality. Father's Day never had any significant meaning to me - - in fact, I could never bring myself to call my father "dad" or "father". I had that much hate and resentment. It took a long time for me to finally forgive him, and to realize that he had a tough life and harbored many personal demons.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.