Tuesday, January 24, 2023

SUCCESS

 Despite my complete lack of technical abilities, I managed to fix my errant laptop and retrieve my files. I was initially going to call for technical help, but decided to tackle the problem on my own. I like to think for myself and use what's left of my mind.

It wasn't an easy endeavor. I struggled with the computer from early afternoon until late at night. I eventually won.

Most of the ugly details are too tedious to mention. I put the computer into "safe" mode and ran System Restore. That took nearly two hours. When the process finally finished, I got a rude message stating that it was unsuccessful - due to the fact that my anti-virus shield was running. Could I please turn it off and try again?

Right. There's only one problem - - when the computer is in "safe" mode, there's absolutely no way to access the anti-virus mechanisms.

Have you ever tried to exit from the safe mode? It is nearly a complete impossibility.  A miracle from the Divine Creator is required. After hours of intense struggles, I finally solved the problem by venturing into the unknown realm of System Configurations, where I was  able to clobber and dismantle the pesky safe mode.

Anyway, my laptop is behaving normally again. At least for the moment. And I have all my files again. At least for the moment.

Now I can return to my pending problems - - like the flooded bathroom, the dead car, the dead furnace, the errant water heater, the infestation of mice, the lack of food and money.......AND my seriously injured spine, which has rendered my inability to walk.

Life is an absolute joy, filled with God's blessings.

Anyway, I'm still kicking, and I'll try to resume blogging soon (??) - - as long as I'm still alive and have retained a smidgen of my mental capacities. 

Many thanks to all the good people who haven't (yet) abandoned me.

And those who have abandoned me - - 
you have good taste.

                                       Jon


11 comments:

  1. Yippee! I wouldn't begin to know where to begin; yet you persevered. hope this success is just the beginning of better things. Like a chain of toppling dominoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel cautious and puzzled when something actually goes RIGHT for me - - it doesn't coincide with the curse. If it happens again, I might perish from the shock.....

      Delete
  2. So HAPPY that you were able to get your computer and file back! See? You are a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for!

    And, nope, I am not going anywhere - I am afraid that you are stuck with me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you decided to stay, Kim - I need all the friends I can get...(*smile*)

      Delete
  3. Bravo Jon! Having my own kerfuffles--electronic, structural, medical, mental (it's hard, maybe impossible to recall where I lost my mind--careless of me, I know) but your progress encourages me (humor aside, I mean that). My admiration for you has improved me:even the cats obey me now. Love, Geo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get cats to obey, you're definitely on the right track. You've never lost your mind Geo, it's been there all the while - - serving as an inspiration for me. Take care!

      Delete
  4. Congrats to you, Jon, as it was great to read of your success and that your mind has indeed not left you as several of us have not as well. Nope, still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This latest "success" has brightened my spirits somewhat, but I still have a rough road ahead. Thanks for your concern and encouragement, Dorothy!

      Delete
    2. You’re welcome, Jon. You deserve to get a break and watch out for those potholes too.

      Delete

I love comments. Go ahead and leave one - I won't bite. But make sure you have a rabies shot just in case.